Warm up strokes

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell me why, then, o wise one, why do 99.9% of ALL cuesports (pool, snooker and carom) players utilize some sort of warm up procedure, immediately prior to striking the CB? I suppose that all of them are doing it wrong too, huh? Really? Do see how much of an ass this makes you look like?
I went to no pre shot strokes when I was experimenting or confirming many of the things that CJ Wiley said when he was here & I have stayed with it even when using my stroke of nearly 50 years.

There is absolutely no "need" for any pre shot strokes.

other than to actually "rehearse" the shot by actually hitting a ball as there are usually rules regarding what they usually call 'practicing'.

Rick...do you know the difference between disciplined practice and practicing playing? I doubt it... Have a nice life...somewhere else!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap, tap, tap! Great information BeiberLvr!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Speed of warm up strokes don't need to match the speed of the shot. I would advise slower, because I think people with really fast warm up strokes tend to be more jerky. The important thing is that your final backswing is controlled and smooth, and the cue's final forward motion starts slow and accelerates to reach it's maximum speed upon impact with the CB.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't include me in that statement. From everything on here, it seems that you are always the "quibbler". Nobody else seems to go to the extremes you do in the quibbling.

Not EVERYTHING on here is LITERAL. People need to be able to read between the lines. When I write something, I expect the AVERAGE idiot and I've me thousands upon thousands of them in the pool hall would understand it. Nobody should have to write manuscripts to explain things in that minute of a detail to people.

Do you notice that NOBODY quibbles 99% of the things that you do?

I don't give a damn what Fran says and it is nothing against her. I also don't care what any other instructor says on here just because they SAID it. I've played pool for more than 50 years and know just because somebody says something it doesn't always apply to everybody and mean it is the gospel.

You need to give people a "foundation" on which they can build a game. You can't hit every ball for them and determine "feel" for them or "control" what is in their mind while they are shooting. They will have to put in the table time to figure it out...NOT SPEND ALL DAY ON HERE QUIBBLING.

Well now, I guess it looks like from here-on I won't be giving a damn about what you post either. Nothing against you, of course.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Oh, silly me. I thought that when he wrote "I don't give a damn what Fran says,' he meant me.

no he was just trying to say that it doesn't matter who said what.....that he could care less who said this or that, as of course there is grey area and such and not everything any of us say is necessarily going to apply to every last person on earth.....IE: english quibbling and cotton picking like archer does the table.

he just didn't use the most PC phrasing to get his point across....lol

regards,
Keeb'

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Here and there I'll see a player (done it a few times myself) line up on the side of the ball and "practice" the stroke.....generally its for some strange shot....

I sure looked at and "practice" stroked that gorgeous earth shaking top draw shot i pulled out the bag last time ya seen me scott lol.

Pool and golf have many similarities, they both come from the same game/origins.....

almost every shot.....what do you see a golfer do.....he moves over and practices his swing/delivery etc......matter fact.....never seen a golfer on tv just stroll up to the ball and WACK the sob.......and then even when they are done wiith that......

they get back on the ball and they are in stance......and they mini "stroke" the club head to the ball.....maybe back a foot and back to the ball.......

and they will do that little wag back and forth, which i know in golf can help the timing becausee of the weight shifts, but its mostly for checking that club head relation to the golf ball......hummmmm sounds kind of familiar.......oh yea....just about everypool player does the same thing basically.

the "warm up" stroke is also like a twitch too.....sorta like the guys who bridge and do the spider finger thing and tap tap tap their middle finger on the table.....just a habit.

side note......craziest warm up strokes i've ever seen? Cue maker and good player by the name of Pete Petry.......Oklahoma....well havent seen hiim in a long time, but man his warm up strokes.......faster than diarrhea lol......never seen anyone else do that like he did.....would drive me nuts lol....worked for him though.

he would pop pop pop pop popoppopopoopoppopoopp for how every long....then all of a sudden, very slow methodical, tip to ball twice and then his delivery.

i dont think its even been menitioned yet....but there is a diff between "warm up/practice" strokes......and aiming strokes, and the delivery of course.

regards,
Greyghost

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
If there are two camps--rehearse parts of the stroke left-brained, and warm your motion so you don't go from a standing start right-brained, then both either/or are valid...

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
If there are two camps--rehearse parts of the stroke left-brained, and warm your motion so you don't go from a standing start right-brained, then both either/or are valid...

i like what you said, but I also dont like it....because i'm not sure if your talking about the two camps that rick made "predelivery strokes" and "no predelivery" strokes......

or if your just talking about the left and right/ conscioncous and subconscious.

Because if your just referring to the conscious and subconscious......then they should both always be involved with the shot process, well with the ENTIRE process.

Because when your up and walking around the table, your using your left brain....which is also more of the conscious, understands words, linear thinking bla bla bla......do all your figuring, standing up.....then once your down on the ball.....here comes right brain and the subconscious which tows along things such as muscle memory as well, and thats what actually delivers the shot or well thats what makes the body do what it needs to do to accomplish said task.

plan and decide.....then shut up and visualize....rinse repeat.

so i def think they are both necessary at least to how i understood your post.

regards,
G.g.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Here and there I'll see a player (done it a few times myself) line up on the side of the ball and "practice" the stroke.....generally its for some strange shot....

I sure looked at and "practice" stroked that gorgeous earth shaking top draw shot i pulled out the bag last time ya seen me scott lol.

Pool and golf have many similarities, they both come from the same game/origins.....

almost every shot.....what do you see a golfer do.....he moves over and practices his swing/delivery etc......matter fact.....never seen a golfer on tv just stroll up to the ball and WACK the sob.......and then even when they are done wiith that......

they get back on the ball and they are in stance......and they mini "stroke" the club head to the ball.....maybe back a foot and back to the ball.......

and they will do that little wag back and forth, which i know in golf can help the timing becausee of the weight shifts, but its mostly for checking that club head relation to the golf ball......hummmmm sounds kind of familiar.......oh yea....just about everypool player does the same thing basically.

the "warm up" stroke is also like a twitch too.....sorta like the guys who bridge and do the spider finger thing and tap tap tap their middle finger on the table.....just a habit.

side note......craziest warm up strokes i've ever seen? Cue maker and good player by the name of Pete Petry.......Oklahoma....well havent seen hiim in a long time, but man his warm up strokes.......faster than diarrhea lol......never seen anyone else do that like he did.....would drive me nuts lol....worked for him though.

he would pop pop pop pop popoppopopoopoppopoopp for how every long....then all of a sudden, very slow methodical, tip to ball twice and then his delivery.

i dont think its even been menitioned yet....but there is a diff between "warm up/practice" strokes......and aiming strokes, and the delivery of course.

regards,
Greyghost

Pro Golfers almost NEVER rehearse the swing that they will use to hit the golf ball.

They take much reduced level pre shot swings.

Also the 'waggle' has almost nothing to do with the alignment relationship of the club to the ball. that is set prior to the waggle. It has everything to do with feeling the coordination of the different components of the swing AND never wanting to be in a set position for very long before initiating the swing AND some initiate the swing with some from of 'other' movement.

All Best Wishes for ALL.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Oh, silly me. I thought that when he wrote "I don't give a damn what Fran says,' he meant me.

Hi Fran,

I just posted in another thread about the lack of or selective reading comprehension of some.

I do not think that 'Eye' has any trouble saying that he does not care what "I" say & would not insert your name in for me.

Yet some feel authorized to speak for him & explain exactly what he meant.:rolleyes:

All Best Wishes for You & Yours,
Rick

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Fran,

I just posted in another thread about the lack of or selective reading comprehension of some.

I do not think that 'Eye' has any trouble saying that he does not care what "I" say & would not insert your name in for me.

Yet some feel authorized to speak for him & explain exactly what he meant.:rolleyes:

All Best Wishes for You & Yours,
Rick

Oh, I'm well aware the posters who quickly graze over a post and then think they have a complete understanding of what that person meant.

It's a bad habit that stems from lack of self-awareness. It can be corrected, but only when the person acknowledges their error to themselves and decides to start checking themselves. Until then, the habit will be repeated and repeated.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Pro Golfers almost NEVER rehearse the swing that they will use to hit the golf ball.

They take much reduced level pre shot swings.

Also the 'waggle' has almost nothing to do with the alignment relationship of the club to the ball. that is set prior to the waggle. It has everything to do with feeling the coordination of the different components of the swing AND never wanting to be in a set position for very long before initiating the swing AND some initiate the swing with some from of 'other' movement.

All Best Wishes for ALL.

lol....as if that has nothing to do with a player preshot stroking a cue...hopefully we never hear his responce to this.....saying golfers are doing what we instructors are saying pool players should be doing....then telling us that we dont know what we are saying. hilarious. good riddance

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol....as if that has nothing to do with a player preshot stroking a cue...hopefully we never hear his responce to this.....saying golfers are doing what we instructors are saying pool players should be doing....then telling us that we dont know what we are saying. hilarious. good riddance

I play both golf and pool, and to me, they are very similar games, particularly because with both, you are striking a stationary ball. I find a lot of similarities between the two, and I often pick up some great ideas about pool by studying golf fundamentals.