Odd rule was applied today in my straight pool match.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
My opponent and I started our match racking the balls with a wooden rack . Later in the game when it was time to rack the 14 balls the 15th ball lay just inside the rack.

My understanding has always been that if the 15th ball is in the rack then the 15th ball goes on the head spot unless the cue ball occupies that area of the table.

My opponent grabbed a thin plastic rack which enabled him to rack the balls leaving a very difficult break shot. I have never played where the equipment can be changed in mid game especially to the detriment of the shooter.

My opinion that this is bad practice and doesn't follow the rules of straight pool.

I believe in some ways it could be considered a shark tactic. I don't believe that was the intent of my opponent though it sure did break my momentum and bothered me throughout the match.

I would like to know if anyone else has ever heard of a straight pool match, league or otherwise where a thinner rack that was not being used in the current match must be tried to see if the balls can be racked with out the 15th ball touching the rack.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
4.2 The 14.1 Rack
For an opening break shot, the fifteen balls are racked in a triangle with the apex ball on the foot spot. When the balls are re-racked, the apex ball is omitted if only fourteen balls are being racked. The marked outline of the triangle will be used to determine whether an intended break ball is in the rack area.

gr. Dave

P.s. if there is no outline it still makes sense that you cannot use different racks during the match unless the original one breaks or something.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aye, there's the rub. The outline. It took me a couple of years of nagging to get the owner to put the markings on the straight pool table. I'm still trying to get him to put up a set of plastic scoring beads with all the tabs in place. I even bought the beads and gave them to him and offered to do the work myself. I hate having those tabs missing.

Dave Nelson

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My opponent and I started our match racking the balls with a wooden rack . Later in the game when it was time to rack the 14 balls the 15th ball lay just inside the rack.

My understanding has always been that if the 15th ball is in the rack then the 15th ball goes on the head spot unless the cue ball occupies that area of the table.

My opponent grabbed a thin plastic rack which enabled him to rack the balls leaving a very difficult break shot. I have never played where the equipment can be changed in mid game especially to the detriment of the shooter.
Thoughts and opinions welcome.

The rule was quoted above. You need the outline in lots of "is it in or out" situations when planning for the break. In olden days all the tables were marked.

I think you have to stay with the triangle you started with. Otherwise, which player gets to decide which will be used?

There are two cases where something special has to be done. In Europe, they commonly tap the tables and in that case no triangle is used for racking. I believe that they none-the-less mark the triangle with a normal triangle for 14.1.

The other case is the Sardo rack which doesn't exactly have a triangular outline. In that case, I think it is reasonable to mark the triangle with a normal triangle for the purposes of in/out. If the last ball interferes with the frame of the Sardo, it can be marked as for ball cleaning and replaced when racking is completed.

One player here felt that if a last ball was overlapping the triangle but not actually into the balls, it ought to be marked and replaced after racking. This was with a normal triangle in use. He was quite emphatic about it as I recall.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rule was quoted above. You need the outline in lots of "is it in or out" situations when planning for the break. In olden days all the tables were marked.

Thanks Bob. I was beginning to think that I was the only one old enough to remember
this. Any one else remember rack aprons? I still have one.

Dave Nelson

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Marking the table doesn't have to be done with a permanent marker or pencil, it can be done with soapstone or tailors chalk. BUT ... to play the game correctly the rack has to be marked as does the string line for spotting balls and the headstring line. The center spot on the table technically should also be marked. ( dunno why that one bothered me a bit)

Anyway, once the table is marked you can rack the balls with a 2x4 triangle, the mark on the table is the determining line of in or out..

Rack apron, is that the one where a piece of table cloth is stapled to the back of the rack big enough to cover the triangle then flopped under the rack behind where you rack the balls. Then when you (theoretically) throw the balls into the rack they don't mark the table? Then when you slide the rack up the apron slides out of the way? I remember those. Useless IMO :)

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I mentioned soapstone as well as the tailors chalk. I personally never used the tailors chalk so while I doubt it would be a big issue, I don't know.

I prefer the soapstone.Grind it or sand it down to a razor edge and draw your lines. I keep a piece in my case for when I play out somewhere. Before you leave, rub it off with a damp cloth or paper towel. At home I like using pencil.

Soapstone is cheap and available at any welding supply store.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3and stop

Yes on the rack apron. Mine snaps over one side of the rack. Mine came with my table which I purchased new about 1969

Dave Nelson

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In casual match-ups I've seen other racks than the original used I've seen people walk off with the rack from my table so we simply grabbed another rack from another table. What you're talking about is manipulation of the racking rules, though. Never had that happen. In any sort of organized play the original rack had to be used. Walking off with the rack occurred during regular hours play.