Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page What is your high run in 14.1?
Page 5 of 6 « First 345 6

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#61)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-16-2019, 12:25 AM

My real high run is talked about in my first book, Pool Wars. I played a pretty decent Straight Pool player down in Florida a race to 100 for fifty bucks (this was in the mid 60's so it was a decent bet). He had me 90 something to 28 and I ran 72 and out to win.

I only remember playing Straight Pool for money one other time in New York against an old man who beat me unmercifully. He would run a rack or two and play safe, and just kept doing that until he won the game. I had no chance against him! I swore off old men and Straight Pool in New York after that.

I did practice Straight Pool once in a while when I couldn't get a game. I used to regularly make runs in the 40's and 50's and had one or two over 60. I wouldn't exactly call myself a Straight Pool player.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#62)
peppersauce
AzB Silver Member
peppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond reputepeppersauce has a reputation beyond repute

04-16-2019, 12:42 AM

46. And starting to wonder if Iíll ever break 50.

I feel like 50 would be a milestone achievement for me since Iíve never done it. It just gets frustrating. A guy I comfortably give the 7 to playing 9-ball was all excited and told me he had just run 63 a couple of days prior to seeing me. I was happy for him, but also even more disappointed in myself. I have lots of runs in the low 40ís, but something always happens going into the 4th rack.

My best, aside from the 46, is back-to-back 42ís.

Old
  (#63)
DDiabolico
DDiabolico
DDiabolico is on a distinguished road

04-16-2019, 03:06 AM

In practice it was 69 some years ago. This season it was 55 in a straight pool tournament and 40 and 41 in league. I'm pretty confident it could be more in the future.

Playing cue: cuechanger Naturals II Bocote
Shaft: cuechanger LD
Jump cue: cuechanger concept-jump Granadillo/Burmese Blackwood
Break cue: cuechanger concept-break Ziricote
Tip: G2 M
Case: Volturi 2x4

Whitey never lies...

Old
  (#64)
cardiac kid
Super Senior Member
cardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via Yahoo to cardiac kid  
04-16-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Yes, Pat was a slip stroker. Here's a little 1-minute video of him posted by David Sapolis after Pat's death in 2009. It doesn't really show his slip stroke because of the angle of view, but at the end it indicates that his high run was 338.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXa5d6hIAyg
Yeah, that was the number I remember as well. If Pat had decided to be a "pro", his name might be up there with the greats of the game. Pat chose work and family. Remember, he eventually played in the same room with Mike Sigel and Irving Crane. He was also one of the very few to be a playing partner of Arthur "Babe" Cranfield. They all respected him. In my humble opinion, Pat had the best pattern play of the three. He also spent his summers as captain of a fishing boat. He also surprised people by wearing a glove on his right hand rather than his left bridge hand. Helped with his "slip stroke"!

Lyn

Playing Cue - Sort of Straight
Break Cue - Broken
Jump Cue - Looks Great in my Case!
Wrap - None
Tip - Only When the Service AND Food are Good
Case - JB Cases 4 x 8 Custom Case. Joe Porper Vinyl 2 x 4 (Vegas). Joe Porper 2 x 4 Leather for storage (OK, it's empty)

Nicknames - Dead Money, Salamander, Tomato Can, Weekend Warrior, Short Stop, Banger, Ron Casanzio Wannabe, NIT and the recently added Lamb Slayer in no special order. Wow what a list!

Old
  (#65)
ShortBusRuss
Short Bus Russ - C Player
ShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond repute

04-16-2019, 05:24 PM

My high run in practice is somewhere around 50, and in competition here in Germany, I have a couple of 25-30 ball runs. I haven't put in a lot of effort at the game, and haven't really even practiced it that much with my club members, so that's probably the main reason that is keeping me from running more.

I do see that I am more consistently getting good on the last 3-4 balls, and identifying the key ball to the break ball much earlier. My high runs are actually comparable to the 14.1 players from the next league level up.. I am planning on trying to lose some weight and practice more before next season. I know I have multiple competition 50+ point runs in me, and that would put me near the top of my club.

All in all, I see it as a bit of an accomplishment to be an American on a German pool team, but still be the best 14.1 player on the team. Next season, I am up for opening a few eyes. I have been complemented a few times by other teams on my straight pool playing, so I must be doing something right.

Old
  (#66)
9BallKY
AzB Silver Member
9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute9BallKY has a reputation beyond repute

04-16-2019, 06:55 PM

My high run is 34 on my 9’ Diamond, but I think I’ve only played 14.1 maybe 3 or 4 times in my life.

Old
  (#67)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

04-17-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppersauce View Post
46. And starting to wonder if Iíll ever break 50.

I feel like 50 would be a milestone achievement for me since Iíve never done it. It just gets frustrating. A guy I comfortably give the 7 to playing 9-ball was all excited and told me he had just run 63 a couple of days prior to seeing me. I was happy for him, but also even more disappointed in myself. I have lots of runs in the low 40ís, but something always happens going into the 4th rack.

My best, aside from the 46, is back-to-back 42ís.
I know several people that are "stuck" in the 40's to 50's range.

To me, after you learn a bit about patterns and how to manage key balls and what angle to try for on the break shot, there's nothing more left to 14.1 but:

Holding concentration for long periods of time.

Some people call it the "zone" or in "stroke". I call it what it really is, and that's "your" highest level of "concentration".

After a person is able to make a transition from one rack to another, the only thing, other than the things i mentioned above....is how long can you concentrate before you "let up"? Because, once you let up, well, that's when you raise up, take your eye off the ball, skip parts of your PSR, shoot the wrong shot.....etc...etc.

Concentration is a bear. That's why, regardless of how much we learn about 14.1, we runs dont improve at the same rate as knowledge or even practice as far as that goes.

I'm right there with you, just like everyone else on the planet, minus a small handful of people.

Don't let your bark be bigger than your stroke.

If I had plenty of money, I would probably lose more often.

Old
  (#68)
BelleBelle
AzB Silver Member
BelleBelle has a reputation beyond reputeBelleBelle has a reputation beyond reputeBelleBelle has a reputation beyond reputeBelleBelle has a reputation beyond reputeBelleBelle has a reputation beyond reputeBelleBelle has a reputation beyond reputeBelleBelle has a reputation beyond reputeBelleBelle has a reputation beyond reputeBelleBelle has a reputation beyond reputeBelleBelle has a reputation beyond reputeBelleBelle has a reputation beyond repute

04-18-2019, 10:23 AM

74 on a diamond. Having never played the game I wanted to see how hard it would be to run 100. I tried for probably 4-5 hours, finally waiving the white flag and having a new respect for that game. I did manage to get my 74 though and was thrilled with that.

Old
  (#69)
jason
Unprofessional everything
jason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3750

04-18-2019, 01:22 PM

I've passed this thread up many times before reading it today. Kind of surprised by the low scores (not all btw). I don't recall playing 14.1 much and certainly haven't in many years. The handful of times I did attempt it, I would guess I ran in the 40s or 50s back then, maybe only the 30s and 40s. I'm sure I could do better today. I might just have to try it again.

Jason

Old
  (#70)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

04-18-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
I've passed this thread up many times before reading it today. Kind of surprised by the low scores (not all btw). I don't recall playing 14.1 much and certainly haven't in many years. The handful of times I did attempt it, I would guess I ran in the 40s or 50s back then, maybe only the 30s and 40s. I'm sure I could do better today. I might just have to try it again.
Depending on the table, cloth etc... 40's to 50's is no small accomplishment for most.

If your table is smaller than 9' and your pockets are larger than 4.5 and have a shallow shelf, well, with a little practice, you will probably hit numbers above 50's pretty quick.....Especially, if you "understand" patterns.

On the other hand, if your table is a 9' and has 4.5 or smaller pockets and has a deep shelf such as the diamond pro-am, well, 50's is a very respectable number for any amateur.

14.1 was my game of Choice for a looonnngggg time and I would hate to know my life depended on me getting above ~90ish balls on a 9' pro-am.

Hell, some days I do good to get into the second rack... with me, its either on or off....lol....less than two racks or probably gonna reach at least 4 to 7....

Old
  (#71)
ShortBusRuss
ShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond repute

04-18-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
Depending on the table, cloth etc... 40's to 50's is no small accomplishment for most.
You ain't kidding. Here in Germany, tables mechanics have never even heard of such a thing as an "extended subrail".

But, the Germans generally shoot pretty straight, so they tend to like to reduce pocket sizes. Which brings us to pretty much every table in a competitive club in Germany being double or triple-shimmed. Which makes them play like dog doo.

And my table at home, albeit WITH extended rails (I coached a local mechanic through the basic requirements, and he did a decent job..), is quite tight, somewhere in the range of 4 1/4" to 4 3/8", so putting up a big number will require me to focus a lot more on my fundamentals, and on stroking balls in on the break, rather than using a more forceful stroke.

Old
  (#72)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member

04-18-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBusRuss View Post
You ain't kidding. Here in Germany, tables mechanics have never even heard of such a thing as an "extended subrail".

But, the Germans generally shoot pretty straight, so they tend to like to reduce pocket sizes. Which brings us to pretty much every table in a competitive club in Germany being double or triple-shimmed. Which makes them play like dog doo.

And my table at home, albeit WITH extended rails (I coached a local mechanic through the basic requirements, and he did a decent job..), is quite tight, somewhere in the range of 4 1/4" to 4 3/8", so putting up a big number will require me to focus a lot more on my fundamentals, and on stroking balls in on the break, rather than using a more forceful stroke.
I cringe at the thought of playing 14.1 on a 9' pro-am with 4 1/4 to 4 3/8...... ouch!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ will definitely make a person do one of the following:

Dial in "all" fundamentals

Or........lol

Be like the average amateur 9 ball player and "suck" at 14.1 because it's a lot harder to hold concentration for an "endless" number of balls vs. running 9-balls-n-out.

Disclaimer:

I suck at both.

Old
  (#73)
ShortBusRuss

04-18-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Or........lol

Be like the average amateur 9 ball player and "suck" at 14.1 because it's a lot harder to hold concentration for an "endless" number of balls vs. running 9-balls-n-out.

Disclaimer:

I suck at both.
It helps that I have Germans watching me compete at 14.1 every two weeks during the league season. I kinda wanna rep for the Americans living in Germany, and make sure they know we aren't ALL helpless.

I am a type A personality, and at this point, my overriding goal is to top the season high run of the best 14.1 player first at my league level, then the next league level.

Old
  (#74)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-18-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
... On the other hand, if your table is a 9' and has 4.5 or smaller pockets and has a deep shelf such as the diamond pro-am, well, 50's is a very respectable number for any amateur....
One year at Derby City on exactly that equipment, Thorsten Hohmann failed to run 50 on any of his attempts.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#75)
9andout
Gunnin' for a 2 pack!!
9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute

04-18-2019, 07:36 PM

Had a new "high run" tonight lol
A whopping 13!
But.......
I played well overall too.
I finally won legit for the first time. He had to go to 186 and I had to go to 100.
I won 100 to 77!
Celebrating tonight!! Pretty psyched.

In training for the "Senior Division" By then I might actually be decent! Still love Earl!!
Lover of shot clocks!

Page 5 of 6 « First 345 6

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: