Aiming Systems, Teachers, Etc.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Listening to Alban Ouschan commenting during a match at the moment.

He said he never had lessons or a teacher. He said he learned on his own.

He said he is used to a wood shaft and doesn't see any benefit in switching to a REVO at this point. He said he won a World Championship with his cue and he would have to learn something different and new and would have to put in a lot of time in order to learn it.

He said he doesn't have an aiming system, doesn't know any aiming systems, and he just plays.

He said if he were five again, he would have taken up tennis as his sport.

He said Eklent Kaci is the strongest money player in Europe. He mentioned Gorst.

He said Orcullo is probably the best Filipino money player.

He said he "thinks" he looks at the object ball last...wasn't sure.

He said he has no system for kicking. He plays by feel.

He said he practices 3 hours a day, when he practices. No drills. Plays the ghost. Starts with 14.1. Then switches to 10 ball or 9 ball.

He said he thinks Melling is the best shot maker.

He said his current playing cue is the Predator Panthera 2.

He said he is not a bank pool player, a one-pocket player, or a gambler.

He said 90% of his practice is on a Diamond table.

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure Albin and his sister both had coaches when they were child phenoms in the European events...I seem to remember reading articles about them at the time. They were VERY young when they came on the scene. If he says he doesn't consciously use a system, I believe that, but I don't believe he's truly "self taught"...at least not in the way that most of the old school American players of the previous generations were. I'm sure most of what he does that make him a top level player he developed on his own, but laid on the foundations of some pretty good fundamental instruction. His technique is just too good to be 100% organic.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He said he is used to a wood shaft and doesn't see any benefit in switching to a REVO at this point. He said he won a World Championship with his cue and he would have to learn something different and new and would have to put in a lot of time in order to learn it.
He said he doesn't have an aiming system, doesn't know any aiming systems, and he just plays.
He said Eclent (sp?) is the strongest money player in Europe. He mentioned Gorst.
He said he practices 3 hours a day, when he practices. No drills. Plays the ghost. Starts with 14.1. Then switches to 10 ball or 9 ball.
And all of this is EXACTLY what I'd say too, if I was a top player.
Why should he tell his secrets to others who're trying to beat him in competition.?
Tell 'em enough to pacify 'em so they'll go away. Rob them later.
Well done.:thumbup2:

stockbob55

Registered
Re:

I'm sure most of what he does that make him a top level player he developed on his own, but laid on the foundations of some pretty good fundamental instruction. His technique is just too good to be 100% organic.
Even without a coach it is possible to copy the good technique and fundamentals of top players from video and books. With no feedback it's not the easiest way, but it can be done.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was listening to Eklent Kaci on the stream today.

Said he doesn't have a coach and didn't like coaches.

Said the way to improve was by playing.

Said he had no aiming system.

Said he didn't know how to rack with a regular rack in order to make a ball...like a wing ball. So he only uses a template.

Said he started when he was eight years old.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Pool is like all other stick-and-ball sports, a very, very, very few can get to the top ranks without guidance and instruction. And most players at all ranks, from beginner to pro, will improve via coaching/instruction.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He said Eklent Kaci is the strongest money player in Europe. He mentioned Gorst.

I agree with many of his points about pool play, practice, and feel.

Keep it simple stupid.
Hit a million balls.
Hard maple shafts and Triangle tips for me.
Master chalk is just fine.
PSR curtails a lot of evils and builds confidence.
Old school.
Indian not the arrow.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even without a coach it is possible to copy the good technique and fundamentals of top players from video and books. With no feedback it's not the easiest way, but it can be done.
EVERY player my age(58) or older learned by watching, practicing and playing. No video, no byzantine aiming systems or electronic gizmos. You played better players, got your ass beat and learned from it.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
John, you and I both know that practicing the wrong things 10 hours a day only increases the proficiency at doing the wrong things over and over....for 10 hours a day.
The experts don't believe that. Somehow they think that by a mysterious process the wrong things will evolve into the right things.
Maybe that's why they continue to seek out new methods of playing...like this "lizard head" aiming method somebody was talking about.
Moving the head like a confounded lizard sounds lamer than hitting a million balls.
"Hope" is not a tactic.
:grin::grin::grin:

Yep, we are supposed to believe that growing up with a champion and being around high level pool had no impact on world class players who started when they were very young.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is so much that goes into being a top performer in any endeavor. I had an athlete one time whose father won a super bowl as a wide receiver in the nfl. Kid was 6'3", could run like a rabbit, soft hands, and could jump out of the roof. There is no telling how many people I heard comment about how he was "blessed with great genetics", and that he was "born to play in the nfl"/ ( He is currently playing receiver for the Florida Gators)

What they didn't see was that, yes, he was blessed with great God-given talent, but this kid was the hardest worker I have ever been around on the football field. He would stay after practice and run extra routes or catch balls from the juggs machine. He was always the last one out of the weight room, pushing those around him to do one more rep.

I believe that internal drive, that failure is not an option mindset is just as important for those that are genuinely great at their jobs, whatever that may be.