What would Efren do?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
eb727.png

Not a particularly difficult layout but just for fun what would you do? Ball in hand and 14 is outside the rack.

https://youtu.be/oixaaBdK-po?t=3707

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
eb727.png

Not a particularly difficult layout but just for fun what would you do? Ball in hand and 14 is outside the rack.

https://youtu.be/oixaaBdK-po?t=3707

I agree with Efrens choice of pattern here. There are others, but Efrens pattern had the advantage of having fairly easy shots and natural position. My other choice would be to start with the 15, stun over for the 8, then the 2-10-3-14 or 14-3, whatever I liked the best. The shot on the 15 is absolutely critical here and is missable, so If I was cold coming out of the chair, I'd much rather do it Efrens way.

I've been playing on very tight pockets in humid conditions lately, so I'd certainly never shoot the 8 with draw or pace if I could avoid it. Also, I do not like planning to use the 8-15(in the side)-14 as the last sequence under any circumstance. This is because using draw on the 8 can lead to missing a (very small) position zone on the 15, which btw is way to far away from the pocket to be a good keyball going this way. It would be better if the 15 was slightly above a straight line drawn through the 8 to the side pocket. It is an available backup if you happen to miss your position, doing it Efrens way. You could also play under the 8 and roll up for the 15, if you so wished (not so good, but could be useable if the 8 is not frozen).

Overall, Efrens pattern is the best IMO.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Efrens choice of pattern here. There are others, but Efrens pattern had the advantage of having fairly easy shots and natural position. My other choice would be to start with the 15, stun over for the 8, then the 2-10-3-14 or 14-3, whatever I liked the best. The shot on the 15 is absolutely critical here and is missable, so If I was cold coming out of the chair, I'd much rather do it Efrens way.

I've been playing on very tight pockets in humid conditions lately, so I'd certainly never shoot the 8 with draw or pace if I could avoid it. Also, I do not like planning to use the 8-15(in the side)-14 as the last sequence under any circumstance. This is because using draw on the 8 can lead to missing a (very small) position zone on the 15, which btw is way to far away from the pocket to be a good keyball going this way. It would be better if the 15 was slightly above a straight line drawn through the 8 to the side pocket. It is an available backup if you happen to miss your position, doing it Efrens way. You could also play under the 8 and roll up for the 15, if you so wished (not so good, but could be useable if the 8 is not frozen).

Overall, Efrens pattern is the best IMO.

I agree about the 15 in the side. Unless you have an easy shot to get straight in on the key ball those side pocket key balls in the middle of the table are a trap. Closer to the pocket you have more room for error.

Toughest shot was 3 to the 8 which required perfect speed. Too hard and he risks scratching or getting straight in and too soft he wouldn't have had a shot. Another way to play it would have been to draw back a little further off the 10, pocket the 3 in the corner and go forward off the short rail to get on the 8 up table in the corner which would have taken the scratch out of the picture but that's probably over thinking it. Efren played it with perfect speed and got out easily.

Maybe it's just me but I like to think along with the players and figure out the patterns. I find it interesting.