Best book about 3-cushion

Ticky

Registered
What do you think is the best book about 3-cushion discipline?

I'm not looking for suggestions in which I should get acquainted myself, just you're opinion taking account the versatility of content, pictures and overall quality to name a few.

Thanks!

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not looking for suggestions in which I should get acquainted myself, just you're opinion taking account the versatility of content, pictures and overall quality to name a few.

Thanks!

For me it would be Byrnes book.

My second favorite is the Billiard Manual by Dr. Gerhard Hupper.

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member

Thanks!

Believe me when I say this, but start on Freegame, then to the balklines: 47/2, 71/2, and 47/1; then cushion caroms, THEN go to Three-Cushion, afterward. If you want to take this game passively, just like the many pool-to-carom converters, just stick with the Byrne's "New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards". Unfortunately, even systems can take you ever so far...

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
no one has mentioned mr 100 cuelemans book .....:confused:
do you guys not think its good?
i would think a book like that and bill smiths position play should give anyone a great foundation of knowledge for 3 cushion.
i am a pool player so i could be wrong

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe me when I say this, but start on Freegame, then to the balklines: 47/2, 71/2, and 47/1; then cushion caroms, THEN go to Three-Cushion, afterward. If you want to take this game passively, just like the many pool-to-carom converters, just stick with the Byrne's "New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards". Unfortunately, even systems can take you ever so far...

Nah, I just play to enjoy myself, not to climb some Herculean mountain of 5 things I don't want to do before I can enjoy myself. Sure I'd like to improve, but not at the expense of going back to square 1.

Besides, to get good at those other games you would have to play with other people who are better than you are. Where are you going to find these people when it is so hard to find a table, in most places?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
, to get good at those other games you would have to play with other people who are better than you are.

disagree
you need to apply yourself, takes dedication

what someone else does at a table have no effect on your development in feel of the hit and driving balls together
these games are about scoring, not hiding the ball as pool games need to do which is where youd get better by playing better players

caudron said in his balkline vid, in this game your are playing with yourself

Last edited:

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Nah, I just play to enjoy myself, not to climb some Herculean mountain of 5 things I don't want to do before I can enjoy myself. Sure I'd like to improve, but not at the expense of going back to square 1.

Besides, to get good at those other games you would have to play with other people who are better than you are. Where are you going to find these people when it is so hard to find a table, in most places?

Wow, you sound like you need people to siphon their abilities just so you get better. What's wrong, can't be smart enough to challenge yourself? Just remember: You act like an ass, I will ride you like one. Wanna bet the barn on that?

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
disagree
you need to apply yourself, takes dedication

what someone else does at a table have no effect on your development in feel of the hit and driving balls together
these games are about scoring, not hiding the ball as pool games need to do which is where youd get better by playing better players

caudron said in his balkline vid, in this game your are playing with yourself

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Ticky

Registered
no one has mentioned mr 100 cuelemans book .....:confused:
do you guys not think its good?
i would think a book like that and bill smiths position play should give anyone a great foundation of knowledge for 3 cushion.
i am a pool player so i could be wrong

I have read that book a few years back, it's great. 3-cushion like other games as well depend a lot on the feel which affects greatly to speed control. Feel can't be acquired though books but it's good to study systems to get an idea how the game works.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Byrne's books are still by far the best books in English for learning 3-cushion. You should get his "New Standard" book, his "Advanced Technique" book, and his "Wonderful World of Pool and Billiards" book. Also, you might consider his "Treasury of Trick Shots" book if you like fancy shots. Each of them will cost about $10 delivered to your house.

If you want to see a lot of systems, get Walt Harris' Atlases. Get them directly from his site (which a friend runs now that Walt is dead) as they will be a lot less expensive than elsewhere. Each system will be a project to learn since there is not a lot of explanatory text.

Andreas Efler has five or six books in English including three books on ducking kisses. One that I haven't seen yet is "Carom Billiards Basics: A Training Program with Exercises, Games and an Achievement Test". Efler has some of the best diagrams.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, you sound like you need people to siphon their abilities just so you get better. What's wrong, can't be smart enough to challenge yourself? Just remember: You act like an ass, I will ride you like one. Wanna bet the barn on that?

?

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Ticky

Registered

Thank you for the advise.

Last edited:

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
?

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Of course you wouldn't know, that's because you're too busy trolling about. Just keep something in mind: If you disrespect someone who is trying to offer well-given advice, stop while you're ahead. Is that clear enough?

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course you wouldn't know, that's because you're too busy trolling about. Just keep something in mind: If you disrespect someone who is trying to offer well-given advice, stop while you're ahead. Is that clear enough?

Calling someone an ass because they want to play the way they want to play rather than the way YOU want them to play?

I didn't disrespect anyone's (completely unsolicited and completely off point - how did your 'advice' address the question asked?) advice at all. I just disagree with it for me. If you want to master the small games before playing 3c have at it - but it is not for me.

I'd be VERY curious about what percent of US 3C recreational players (or heck, even tournament players) players went through the progression you described. My guess is damn few. Maybe it is good advice for someone aspiring to world class play, but for the recreational player in the US it is pretty absurd.

I haven't been to that many rooms, (but I've been in some very good ones, including the old Hollywood Billiards, Carom Cafe, Bayshore Billiards) but I never saw a billiard table with balklines chalked on them in any of those rooms. Nor did I see anyone playing any of the small games in those rooms. I'm sure free and 1-cushion are occasionally played there, but I never saw it.

And WHAT this has to do with which 3C book is best is completely beyond me.

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Calling someone an ass because they want to play the way they want to play rather than the way YOU want them to play?

I didn't disrespect anyone's (completely unsolicited and completely off point - how did your 'advice' address the question asked?) advice at all. I just disagree with it for me. If you want to master the small games before playing 3c have at it - but it is not for me.

I'd be VERY curious about what percent of US 3C recreational players (or heck, even tournament players) players went through the progression you described. My guess is damn few. Maybe it is good advice for someone aspiring to world class play, but for the recreational player in the US it is pretty absurd.

I haven't been to that many rooms, (but I've been in some very good ones, including the old Hollywood Billiards, Carom Cafe, Bayshore Billiards) but I never saw a billiard table with balklines chalked on them in any of those rooms. Nor did I see anyone playing any of the small games in those rooms. I'm sure free and 1-cushion are occasionally played there, but I never saw it.

And WHAT this has to do with which 3C book is best is completely beyond me.

No, I am calling you an ass because you are behaving like a buffoon. If you want to play the way you want to, fine... I couldn't care less. Don't go about disrespecting other people giving advice. I have seen it, I am calling you out on it. The rest of the stuff you explain about carom is just fluff to me. I have heard it before since I started in 2006 and it's just redundant to me. I have always been told if you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY IT.
Like I would tell any little child arguing with me: I'll give you the last words.

Dean_H

luv the small modalities
Silver Member
I also learned from Byrne's standard book on pool and Billiards, great book.

As someone who plays straight rail and three cushion I want to say please stop fighting. Our Carom Community is to small for us to fight over Dum stuff.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
id say i think bill smiths is the best

has the diagrams, alot of text
and the dvd to show you how to make a shot, and play position to make 2 more after!
you can read about and watch how to make 150 shots!

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always been told if you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY IT.

Says the guy who called me an ass and who prides himself on rudely calling out people who disagree with him.

Too bad you disregarded that well given advice and dissed the people who always told you that.

:rotflmao1: