Tables you refuse to play on

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Are there any tables that yall refuse to play on? We play on 8' Gandys on Tuesdays and they absolutely whoop my butt. I'm about ready to give up playing there altogether. Just wondering if any of you guys have the same feeling about particular equipment.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Playing on a tough table is fine. On a positive note, accept it as a challenge to you to improve your game enough to adapt and play well on one.

Playing on a table that is poorly maintained, with incorrectly shimmed pockets, too hard or too soft cushions, poor lighting, extremely worn cloth, inconsistent or loose rails, out-of-level,odd pocket angles or shelf depth, will keep me off. Add tables and walls too close and excessive people traffic etc. These are what will keep me off.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Playing in the APA you are sometimes forced to play on some some stuff that is below
normal standards. We played at a VFW that had an 8 foot with a slatron bed.
This table had some significant craters, but the VFW had cheap beer.
But if there are tables that I flat refuse to play on they would be the odd shaped tables.
I hate those things, they drive me nuts

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
In leagues we play on 7 foot tables. I prefer a "normal" speed table. The 7 footers that are extremely fast are actually very difficult to play on, especially if they are not 100% level.

I like to let my stroke out and not have to bunt balls around the table. Plus, there is nothing more infuriating that having to slow roll a ball only to watch it roll off, due to fact that the table is not level. Many bars have bands on the weekends, so they move their tables out of the way -- so when they move them back, they are typically not level.

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
burgundy colored felt drives me away. driving lower 48 , in billings, mt. happy to find another poolroom there. dang, remembering the bitter cold in mt !!!!!!!!!!!!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play on them when a league match or tournament comes up on them, but I HATE Valley 7-footers. You get people who can’t make 3 balls in a row on other tables running out on those Valleys.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
I play on them when a league match or tournament comes up on them, but I HATE Valley 7-footers. You get people who can’t make 3 balls in a row on other tables running out on those Valleys.

I don't mind Valley's but very true. Playing on them does more harm than good in terms of practicing when you normally play on Diamonds...

Playing in the APA you are sometimes forced to play on some some stuff that is below
normal standards. We played at a VFW that had an 8 foot with a slatron bed.
This table had some significant craters, but the VFW had cheap beer.
But if there are tables that I flat refuse to play on they would be the odd shaped tables.
I hate those things, they drive me nuts

I guess we're lucky around here. All league venues have at least 2 Diamond tables.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 footers

just played a 9 ball tournament on 9 footers. lost 4 to 0. angles that I know are correct did not go in. I lined up my shots twice, and either a miss or a rattler. never again will I play on a 9 footer. call me a pussy or a baby, but im done with those long ass tables.

I did not expect to play well on the 9 footers, as im a bar table player, but it was embarrassing for me to play. maybe I got mental or whatever, but now I know im a 7 footer man.

maybe being 62 has something to do with it I dont know. :cool:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Loose cloth and separated slate are no-nos for me....so are double negatives

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try to stay away from tables with bucket pockets :rotflmao1:

BUCKET POOL TABLE.jpg

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Life is too short to play on shitty tables. If they have dead rails or an obstruction or horrible felt or you cant slow roll a long ball....**** it, why play on it. Leave those tables for the bangers and slop players.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hate playing on red or gold cloth, and any table that is in a state of total disrepair. I have played on some doozies in Mexico and the Philippines though, and I've played on bar tables where there were terrible roll offs and/or obstructions to deal with. Not to mention the cues I've held in my hands and had to make balls with. :rolleyes:

My favorite tools were a tip tapper and a piece of scotch brite. I could rough up a tip and smooth out a shaft and I was good to go. That was all I needed in my pocket to go looking for a game. :smile:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I try to stay away from tables with bucket pockets :rotflmao1:

View attachment 513127

Look at that cue! But I'll tell you one thing. A player who could learn to play on that table was going to be dangerous on good equipment. Why do you think you never hear the Filipinos complain about the tables they have to play on in tournaments? I've seen and played on the stuff they learned on and it could be very challenging.