Newer caulk questions

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
This is actually a very valid question. We know they are using Nanos in some brands already and they give lead the 8 ball and second hand smoke the 7... They are not controlled the same in other countries... In the USA you MUST communicate the hazard and there are guidelines for just the handling..

https://www.osha.gov/dsg/nanotechnology/nanotech_standards.html

Of the chalks I am 100% sure of you have Zen Nano, Joy Dustfree or Dustless and now Sniper... This is straight out of the new Sniper ads. "Contains a much finer particle size than standard chalk · Reduced cue tip wear - thanks to Nano-dispersity of chalk ·"

Comes down to if you cannot see the residue it's not wizardry it's science.. Nanos have been out a few years but are still so new no one considers them in simple products like billiards chalk. We are far from the colored sand of tweeten and silver cup now... Brave new world..... All new dangers....
Nanoparticles have not just been out a few years...they are everywhere and we breath in billions of them daily. It simply means they are small. The technology developed recently is the ability to manipulate and control them. I of course can't say all chalk is safe (imported chalk is regulated just like domestically made chalk in the US...at least legally) but even if a company is actually employing true nanotechnology (I'm skeptical that it's any more than marketing hyperbol) it doesn't mean it's dangerous. Things like excessive lead content that comes as a normal part of the mining and manufacturing and isn't monitored by an unscrupulous manufacturer is probably a far greater, but still minuscule risk to a pool player.

Don't lick the cube too often and if you clean tables for a living every day wear a mask or get a good filtered vacuum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Nanoparticles have not just been out a few years...they are everywhere and we breath in billions of them daily. It simply means they are small. The technology developed recently is the ability to manipulate and control them. I of course can't say all chalk is safe (imported chalk is regulated just like domestically made chalk in the US...at least legally) but even if a company is actually employing true nanotechnology (I'm skeptical that it's any more than marketing hyperbol) it doesn't mean it's dangerous. Things like excessive lead content that comes as a normal part of the mining and manufacturing and isn't monitored by an unscrupulous manufacturer is probably a far greater, but still minuscule risk to a pool player.

Don't lick the cube too often and if you clean tables for a living every day wear a mask or get a good filtered vacuum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A vacuum won't cut it as the particles will pass thru the bag, go airborn and everyone in the room will get a dose... OSHA, EPA, Consumer Protection Agency ALL have rules on the acceptable use.. Billiard Chalk won't make the list especially since pool is classified as a game so children will be expected to be exposed... You are welcome to look it up...

Also Lead was actually intentionally put into chalk, It didn't happen from mining... It has been used as a pigment for 100s of years before we knew the health risks.. Generally found in pastel colors like tangerine and some greens as far as billiard chalk.. There was no need for it in the traditional blue...