We're not all the same...

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
sometimes we jump to conclusions!

We read posts, they usually have no "tone" so we put our own tone on them, often wrongly. Then we have posters that have major issues and need to be accepted. I can think of a young man from Louisiana like that a few years ago that the board was quite kind to. Then we have the trolls and seeming trolls. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it is gonna get treated like a duck!

We should be very careful and slow to decide something is a duck though. Not good to throw a chicken in a pond.

I agree with Tate, and also a bit with Shawn. It isn't tough love, we don't love posters we don't know. However, when the BS gets too deep it is time to call somebody on it. We just need to be about 99.44 percent sure it is BS.

Hu

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This post is just my opinion and not a direct response other than possibly to the bar owner.
I am a small business with 30 + employees and we are essential to the military, medical and
agriculture industries. With 75 % of us who have been here at least 25 to 40 years, every
morning, we check temperatures not only to employees, but anyone who walks in our doors,
we do paperwork concerning the 7 questions the government asks us to do.
We know who is scared of the covid-19 and who don't believe in it. We disinfect every day.
I choose to wear a mask, I understand why most people wish not to,
however, if I contract this virus, I at least know I am not passing it on, really don't care
about adults as they have their own opinion and can make up their mind.
I just am not comfortable that if I pass it on to an adult, then they give it to a child,
it would crush me to know I was the carrier. It certainly happens and though I am not
100 % sure if I am a carrier or not, I am trying to protect my knowledge to the
best of my abilities. My opinion only, I do not judge other people.

I can not fathom owning a bar or restaurant as to try and follow the guidelines that are put
in front of business owners would be exhausting. I am sure, a percentage of patrons who
take offense to be approached at all in these manors, just adds to the overall frustrations.

If the food and entertainment business is under the same guidelines that I am under,
states may vary along with types of business, but, if it's true, I don't know how the heck
to attempt to be open.

Again, my opinions only, not stepping on anyone's thoughts, but, it's a difficult situation if
you truly care about your employees, vendors, customers, yes, just people as a whole.

Great post and thank you and your employees for pressing on!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I want us to feel proud about who we are and how we treat others who may not be the same as us. Whatever you may think I'm referring to might be your "Get Low" moment.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I want us to feel proud about who we are and how we treat others who may not be the same as us. Whatever you may think I'm referring to might be your "Get Low" moment.

I post under my own name. There isn't anything more I can do to be proud about who I am, online.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How the hell are we supposed to know about these "differences" unless someone clues us in??? If some yahoo keeps making off-the-air posts they're gonna get hammered. Sorry but this isn't a day-care center. I WAS informed about one certain poster and i've relayed the info to a few others.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
There's an old joke (based upon real truth) about a Southern Belle responding to her obnoxiously braggadocius friend:
"my daddy gave me . . . "
"That's nice."
"That's nice."
"what did your daddy ever give you?"
"My daddy sent me to charm school."
"what did you learn there?"
"How to say, 'That's nice', when I really wanted to say . . ."

At worst, we can aspire to the above. At best, we can transcend all animus and muster an earnest "Bless his heart" in dealing with those afflicted with less than perfect social grace.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
There's an old joke (based upon real truth) about a Southern Belle responding to her obnoxiously braggadocius friend:
"That's nice."
"That's nice."

At worst, we can aspire to the above. At best, we can transcend all animus and muster an earnest "Bless his heart" in dealing with those afflicted with less than perfect social grace.

That was always one of my favorite jokes when told with the beautiful Southern belle accent.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
"That's nice."
"That's nice."

That's nice.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Around here, we tend to take beautiful feminine southern drawls for granted, but, when one stops to consider, they are truly things of beauty -- very nice.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I am reminded of Postel's Law. Jon Postel, may he RIP, was a true giant of the Internet who created much of the underlying technology we use today. Postel's law was all about interactions between computers, and the words he uses are NOT to be taken as political in ANY way (you've been warned:angry:) but I think the principle applies to interactions between people (and the words are still NOT POLITICAL).

Postel's Law

Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send.

Dave

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I am reminded of Postel's Law. Jon Postel, may he RIP, was a true giant of the Internet who created much of the underlying technology we use today. Postel's law was all about interactions between computers, and the words he uses are NOT to be taken as political in ANY way (you've been warned:angry:) but I think the principle applies to interactions between people (and the words are still NOT POLITICAL).

Postel's Law

Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send.

Dave

I think that's brilliant. Too much effort spent on arguments that yield nothing but but permanently damaged relationships.