Floor covering for basement

nibrobus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello! I am purchasing a new home which includes a large unfinished basement where I can finally fulfill my dream of having a poolroom. Just wondering if anyone had suggestions on the best bang for your buck floor covering for a concrete basement floor?

I've done some research and due to inherent moisture in concrete floors they suggest installing a vapor barrier underneath carpet (if you go that route). Other suggestions are carpet tiles, vinyl tiles/planks, etc. Just wondering what would be the best option for a pool table without spending too much. I appreciate your help!

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Hello! I am purchasing a new home which includes a large unfinished basement where I can finally fulfill my dream of having a poolroom. Just wondering if anyone had suggestions on the best bang for your buck floor covering for a concrete basement floor?

I've done some research and due to inherent moisture in concrete floors they suggest installing a vapor barrier underneath carpet (if you go that route). Other suggestions are carpet tiles, vinyl tiles/planks, etc. Just wondering what would be the best option for a pool table without spending too much. I appreciate your help!

Well, spending too much is subjective, but for what it's worth, I considered nearly every option. Because the basement is below grade and other considerations, I elected to just have my concrete floors polished. Going to cost ~$2300 (Edit: my pool room is about 24' x 18'), but it will be sharp and durable and easy to clean. Refinish is first week of next month and pool table to be set up the week thereafter. Can't wait.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you considered framing, insulating and laying a floor?
Or maybe digging out the area and then flooring?
Good luck, have fun :grin-square:
(i love this)

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Great timing Sir as I have the same questions about the concrete slab in my detached accessory structure. Sherwin-Williams has some highly-recommended epoxy products that I've been researching. I'll be keeping a check on your thread here and will add any new info that I turn up.

Keith

jalapus logan

Silver Member
Oh yeah. At my last house, I applied epoxy shield to the basement floor. Had a 9' diamond pro down there and a 7' valley bar box. Did ring games, private tournies, etc. Painted the cinder block walls with UGL dri lock and coated that with a deep purple paint per my wife's suggestion. Had a blast down there.

Here is the ol' gal. I miss her, but I've moved on to greener pastures...

Attachments

• valley table.jpg
    valley table.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 571

Rye_a

Registered
In our basement we went with engineered wood floors with a vapor barrier/underlayment underneath it. It is very comfortable to walk/stand on and has a warmth to it.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Concrete floor in my basement. I just used adhesive backed carpet tiles around the table and for an additional area. No issues so far, and my house is in an area with high water tables. Tiles cost a few hundred bucks - $250 - 300. I have a few extras too.

The floor is covered with waterproof sealant. But that stuff isn't really all its cracked up to be. Not sure how much a difference it makes with the tiles - but so far zero issues with the adhesive and it gets a fair amount of foot traffic on a daily basis.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Used carpet tiles in my room. Cost about $1.19/sq ft. Easy to put in, durable and ordered some extras so I can replace some of they get stained or damaged.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

I like carpet for the sound deadening quality. Any hard surface is going to be noisy in a basement. The combo of a hard floor and area rug works but then you have to deal with the rug edges and wear. Wall to wall carpet is best in my opinion.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
New construction...wait a while to be sure there in no water coming in. I like dark thin very low profile carpets for a basement.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have laminate wood floors over concrete. They've held up well for two years but I would seriously consider carpet over wood.

terpdad

Registered
I've been blessed to have tables in 4 of my houses now. I had them on bare concrete, an old shuffleboard surface, shag carpeting, and now ceramic tile. Can't say I've noticed a difference in any of them. Just go w/ what the wife wants:D

nibrobus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New construction...wait a while to be sure there in no water coming in. I like dark thin very low profile carpets for a basement.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! It is a new construction and we will most likely move in a couple weeks after the home is completed. So far I'm leaning towards either luxury vinyl plank, low profile carpet tiles, or the epoxy shield.

As far carpet color goes, anyone have any suggestions on the easiest color to maintain (hides dirt/smudges/stains)? Our family likes to have get togethers on a fairly regular basis and would need something that can hold up to a few parties :wink:

jalapus logan

Silver Member
Thanks for all the suggestions so far! It is a new construction and we will most likely move in a couple weeks after the home is completed. So far I'm leaning towards either luxury vinyl plank, low profile carpet tiles, or the epoxy shield.

As far carpet color goes, anyone have any suggestions on the easiest color to maintain (hides dirt/smudges/stains)? Our family likes to have get togethers on a fairly regular basis and would need something that can hold up to a few parties :wink:

I'm a big fan of tight weave sisal in a dark color for high traffic areas. They are super durable and easy to clean.

Some larger version of this:

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/charlton-home-beck-hand-woven-brown-jutesisal-area-rug-chrl7325.htm

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

Some of these are pretty wild: https://www.astrocarpetmills.com/ They have more "upscale" patterns but I've seriously considered some of the space themed ones, but it wouldn't match the table at all.

EDIT: I forgot to add, most carpet stores carry commercial lines. My parents used them in their house, looked new for like 2 decades then they moved. You could literally clean it with bleach and it was color fast. The fibers themselves were some kind of poly with the color built in. It sounds hideous, but it just looked like a nice blue low pile carpet and it was surprisingly comfortable.