Entry/mid level low deflection cue

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not that you asked me but I find ease of draw is a function of the state of the cloth. As for uber draw which is alien territory, it looks like physique and or cues in the 19ish zones are the factors.

It's an open discussion and I'm not judgmental of most people. My cloth still has some life in it yet, but the humidity has been higher with all the rain. I guess to go back shooting that shot like king kong. lol

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It's an open discussion and I'm not judgmental of most people. My cloth still has some life in it yet, but the humidity has been higher with all the rain. I guess to go back shooting that shot like king kong. lol

By the way, on those Arsenic cues, I've recommended them to three intermediate level players and each cue came in consistently good. They are good players and use high quality parts, real wood, etc. They look like expensive custom cues. Very similar to Predator with the 314 shaft.

Last edited:

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way, on those Arsenic cues, I've recommended them to three intermediate level players and each cue came in consistently good. They are good players and use high quality parts, real wood, etc. They look like expensive custom cues. Very similar to Predator with the 314 shaft.

They look like nice cues. I've never hit any with a Predator cue yet. Normally when someone asks me if I want to try out their cue, I say no thanks. That way no feelings are hurt when I don't let them try mine. To many guys smack the balls around out of habit with their cues. I'll let my wife shoot with my cue, she's the boss. lol

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think starting with tougher to use equipment is a good idea. You would want to start with something that helps people to learn. A beginner tennis player does not start with a small face racquet that is hard to hit well, they use a larger one with easy power. In the case of billiards, you can start with an LD shaft and learn to play with one, there is no need to start with a standard shaft and move to LD when one is better, just easier and more useful to start on LD and stay with LD. You just won't be able to adjust as easily when using a different shaft, but I would not suggest a beginner start with cue A then go to cue B when they are better outside of simple cost incase they don't like the game and stop playing. If someone can afford a $500 cue as a new player, and they know they want to stick with the game, I would not tell them not to get one.

Who decided low deflection was "better"? Plenty of great players use a standard 13mm maple shaft. He can learn how to play with a 13mm maple shaft and stay on the vertical axis of the cue ball. Then, as he advances start exploring spin. Low Deflection doesn't make the game "easier" unless you want to spin the heck out of your rock. And, I see a lot of lower level players who overspin their rock and can't run a rack they could have used center ball and proper speed/angles to get out on.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Who decided low deflection was "better"?
How could less estimated squirt adjustment not be better - unless you're already accustomed to something else and don't want to go to the trouble of relearning how to aim?

If you could invent a no-squirt shaft you'd make a fortune.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How could less estimated squirt adjustment not be better - unless you're already accustomed to something else and don't want to go to the trouble of relearning how to aim?

If you could invent a no-squirt shaft you'd make a fortune.

pj
chgo

Ball frozen to the end rail a ball away from the hole. Ball in hand from the kitchen. Try back cutting that to the other pocket with an LD shaft.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best entry level low deflection cues are PURE X
They come in 2 shaft diameters and come with Kamui tips.
They play just like Predators
Priced very reasonably...Like under $250
The quality is excellent
I recommend them all the time to guys who are on the improve.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Ball frozen to the end rail a ball away from the hole. Ball in hand from the kitchen. Try back cutting that to the other pocket with an LD shaft.
Why do you think it would be harder with an LD shaft?

And what does “back cutting” mean in this context?

pj
chgo

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to go with the grain on a spinning shaft. Would cause injury probably. I've re-tapered house sticks and every 2 piece I've played with. These aren't McDaniels by any stretch, just good comfortable players.

I did the same thing when I was younger. I ended up finding out is was easier and wouldn't ruin anymore shafts letting a cue maker or pro cue repairman (forget what you call them) do that kind of work. A buddy of mine and myself modified a shaft to fit on the butt of a Budweiser cue years ago. All kinds of different things you can do, but letting an expert do the work is best.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

pj
chgo

I think what he's saying is the rail first spin shot, where you throw the ball along the rail all the way to the opposite corner.

I tried it with my carbon fiber Becue (low squirt) and made it on the 4th attempt. Is this the shot? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKydki0Y2o

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think what he's saying is the rail first spin shot, where you throw the ball along the rail all the way to the opposite corner.

I tried it with my carbon fiber Becue (low squirt) and made it on the 4th attempt. Is this the shot? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKydki0Y2o
That’s the shot I assumed he meant. And I assume by “back cut” he meant it’s more than 90 degrees, so you have to spin the CB into the OB off the rail.

1. That’s not the usual meaning of “back cut” - it usually means cutting a ball “back” toward a rail that’s out of sight while aiming the shot - so it’s not a visual aid like it usually is.

2. With the OB a ball’s width from the pocket and ball in hand in the kitchen there’s no need for a more-than-90-degrees cut (although spinning the CB can help).

3. There’s no reason a low deflection shaft would make that shot harder. In fact the low deflection would make aiming it easier..

Hence my questions.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Same effort moves the lighter cue a little faster, the heavier cue a little slower - both deliver the same energy to the CB and move it at the same speed.

pj
chgo
One caveat to this: at maximum stroke speed, using a heavier cue can move/spin the CB faster - if you’re able to swing it at the same speed as a lighter one. The ability to do that differs from player to player (depending, I think, on your “fast twitch” muscles).

pj
chgo

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Cutting from past 90 degrees. An LDS wont send the ball sideways enough to come back/ swerve into the pocketing socket. (where the cueball fits to make the ball). It'd have to be more of a masse shot to make it with an LDS.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did the same thing when I was younger. I ended up finding out is was easier and wouldn't ruin anymore shafts letting a cue maker or pro cue repairman (forget what you call them) do that kind of work. A buddy of mine and myself modified a shaft to fit on the butt of a Budweiser cue years ago. All kinds of different things you can do, but letting an expert do the work is best.

FWIW, I never ruined a shaft sanding it. I didn't always get lathe turned symmetry but they all played fine. If wood craft doesn't suit you, fine. There's still lots to be learned doing your own work.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
An LDS wont send the ball sideways enough to come back/ swerve into the pocketing socket.
You can send the ball in any direction with any shaft - just by pointing them in slightly different directions. I'm surprised this isn't obvious - although you're not the first to mistake it.

pj
chgo

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
3. There’s no reason a low deflection shaft would make that shot harder. In fact the low deflection would make aiming it easier..

Hence my questions.

pj
chgo

I agree. There is very little margin of error on the shot, the less squirt, the better. I like to put a small amount of curve on the cue ball just to "feel" the shot, but that's just me.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, I never ruined a shaft sanding it. I didn't always get lathe turned symmetry but they all played fine. If wood craft doesn't suit you, fine. There's still lots to be learned doing your own work.

I was brought up around carpenters. I still work on small projects and the family still gets together to remodel our own homes. I believe in having the right tools for the job. If I bought a lathe it would collect dust and don't have room for another hobby. I'm getting ready to put a 4 car garage in. We can do our own concrete, but smarter and easier to have a truck bring it and pour it. No point in buying a truck to pour my concrete floor for the garage one time. lol

Just rebuilt this arbor for my neighbor. Got tired of watching guys patching it up for her. All she had to do was buy the material. In the one picture I was taking a shot of the wife's butt for the family album. Took it down to the posts. I like working with wood. lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201018-135646_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201018-135646_Gallery.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot_20201018-135924_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201018-135924_Gallery.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot_20201018-135540_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201018-135540_Gallery.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 139

Bentnbroken

Does anyone have recommendations for an entry/mid level low deflection cue? I’m having my first table set up in my home early next week, hello like to have something a little nicer than the house cues it came with so I can learn to play with English, etc.

How well do you play with center, follow and draw, can you determine where you cue ball will travel with roll or stun. these basics along with good instruction Dr Dave vids, drills and Billiards university skill tests will take you farther than a LD cue. Just saying, pretty sure SVB will kick my ass with warped house cue, before I will whoop his with my $800.00 McDermott. ;)

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can send the ball in any direction with any shaft - just by pointing them in slightly different directions. I'm surprised this isn't obvious - although you're not the first to mistake it.

pj
chgo

Remember, in this shot, the object ball is also obstructing the hit. An "LD ball" needs to be shot further out and won't return as much - at least not into the pocket socket.