Growing tired of playing my friend in pool

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
There's no easy way to tell someone they're being an ass. Especially if it's a friend. I'm guessing since you talked with him he may not approach you as often. I was going to suggest just getting into games before he has a chance to corner you.
MULLY
BTW, love the avatar

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I play One Pocket with an older gentleman about 5 days a week. He is a stronger player then me, I enjoy playing him, as it is a challange. The game works for both of us, it is not about money, it is a fun, and learning experence.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
I play One Pocket with an older gentleman about 5 days a week. He is a stronger player then me, I enjoy playing him, as it is a challange. The game works for both of us, it is not about money, it is a fun, and learning experence.

What has this got to do with the thread at hand.....?

Mr Slate.
If you are playing 8 ball with him (assuming you are because of the book) then you can even things up a bit by choosing the harder shot on the table, or playing a tighter set of rules. Let him play APA ball in hand rules and you play call pocket play it where it lays rules. Both of these tactics make you work harder, and your friend gets a little weight and won't think you're "tanking" on him.

Sounds like you've already started to handle this in the right way. Be creative and try to manipulate the session so it is challenging and fun for bopth of you.

If he get's into a beef with someone else while he's with you, walk away and let him know you don't approve of his actions and won't back him uo when he's in the wrong.

:cool:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad I could help.:smile:
I think you have a very good point as well. He's frustrated with his game and I'm becoming frustrated with his behavior. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks

With that loser attitude of his he should be frustrated. if he refuses to learn from people that're better than him he deserves to lose. i'd beat on him until he gave up playing all together

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Dear Can't Stand To Play Him In Canaveral:

My mom always said that after you have exhausted every other conceivable option, being truthful is the way to go. :smilewinkgrin:

Your friend is being a jackass from what you said, to the extent that he's nearly getting into physical altercations while blaming others for his poor play. I think if he's a good friend (you said he was a longtime friend), then tell him how it is and give him one shot at getting back on the right track. However, if he's going to continue dragging your game down regardless of whether he acts nicer towards others, then you have to decide if it's worthwhile to continue to play with him.

Given what you've described, if it were me, I'd have to pink slip him. I would try to do it in a manner that was as painless (for him) as possible in deference to your longstanding relationship.

Maybe you can order a couple of beers, sit down with him, and say something like:

You effing bafoon, I will never play another rack of pool with you as long as I live. You have the weakest skill set on a pool table than almost anyone else I know. And on top of that, you act like you are above taking advice from anyone. Then, you have the nerve to try and blame others for your shortcomings? The only reason I have put up with your antics for as long as I have is because you have a cute wife. And yes, it's true, she and I have been intimately involved for the past three years.

That should pretty much take care of it. :thumbup:

Let me know if you need any more advice. :grin:

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
Dear Can't Stand To Play Him In Canaveral:

My mom always said that after you have exhausted every other conceivable option, being truthful is the way to go. :smilewinkgrin:

Your friend is being a jackass from what you said, to the extent that he's nearly getting into physical altercations while blaming others for his poor play. I think if he's a good friend (you said he was a longtime friend), then tell him how it is and give him one shot at getting back on the right track. However, if he's going to continue dragging your game down regardless of whether he acts nicer towards others, then you have to decide if it's worthwhile to continue to play with him.

Given what you've described, if it were me, I'd have to pink slip him. I would try to do it in a manner that was as painless (for him) as possible in deference to your longstanding relationship.

Maybe you can order a couple of beers, sit down with him, and say something like:

You effing bafoon, I will never play another rack of pool with you as long as I live. You have the weakest skill set on a pool table than almost anyone else I know. And on top of that, you act like you are above taking advice from anyone. Then, you have the nerve to try and blame others for your shortcomings? The only reason I have put up with your antics for as long as I have is because you have a cute wife. And yes, it's true, she and I have been intimately involved for the past three years.

That should pretty much take care of it. :thumbup:

Let me know if you need any more advice. :grin:

Best,
Brian kc

Well at least that would explain the recent kids she had that just don't look like him. :thumbup: