rules for golf

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I too would like to know the rules. Lat time I saw it played was on Big Bertha at Hardtimes in Bellflower CA year 1992.

Man were there some good games on that table too.

Kevin

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Golf?

I too would like to know the rules. Lat time I saw it played was on Big Bertha at Hardtimes in Bellflower CA year 1992.

Man were there some good games on that table too.

Kevin

Was the golf you saw played on a snooker table? There is such a game described in the BCA Rules and Records Book.

Back in the '60s, we played "golf" on 7 and 9 footers with standard pockets. There were several ways to play.
Two players:
After first shooter is determined, the shooter began with a spot shot from the kitchen. He would slow roll the OB into the right corner to get position for the side, and so on until he/she pocketed their ball in every pocket (spotting the ball after every make and shooting from where the cue ball sits). A perfect run would be a score of six. When you complete your round your opponent takes their shot at the table. Obviously, low score wins. This was fun, but there was no defense.
Two or more players:
The real fun was when each player had a designated object ball, and their turn ends with a miss. This made it a very defense-oriented game. We played two to four players. A legal shot required only hitting your ball first. If you didn't, you moved back a hole. As you can imagine, this could make for quite a long game sometimes! In this game, you didn't keep score, it was simply who got around the table first took the cash
I'm sure there were countless variations on these rules. The second game described above was a lot like one pocket, except that your pocket moved around the table with each make, and of course, you had only one OB for each player.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

ghelms

Registered
golf that i saw played once or twice

the games I saw invovled several players (3-5) with separate object balls and defensive movements with the cue ball so as to not give the next player a good shot at his next pocket while attempting to pocket their ball, so the games were very strategic. Needless to say that a good miss was as valuable as a made ball depending on your progress around the table.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is almost always a Golf game going on at Hard Times. They have 3 6'x12 tables with super tight pockets. I once watched a game that took over 5 hours and was told that there had been longer games. Amazing how many "hickeys" a guy can get in over 5 hours. Safety play is paramount and if you sell out you will hear about it. I can't even count the number of times I have paid my time and then while leaving have stopped at the table by the exit door and got hooked into watching and ended up missing dinner.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
table size

when butch owned the billiard pallace [ now hard times ] the place was upstairs in downtown bellflower and i was in there a few times as i lived in downey in the 70's. i thought they had a canadian snooker table called an ocean table and it was 7 by 14 feet, does anyone remenber this table?
and this was where all the high dollar games were played.

DrOnePocket

Banned
Every pool hall i have ever played golf in had different rules. Different tables, hicky balls on stands, or not, different number of holes, different order of the holes, honest effort or not, team up on people or not, etc.

It's a great game if played with good people.

roachy_22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love me some golf!

Golf is by far my favorite game. It's a very defensive game. If you don't have patience, you probably shouldn't play. I've played games that lasted nearly 6hrs. It is a great game.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can find the basic rules I think but remember that Golf, like some other games, has rules subject to the way the game is played in any particular area.