Have Yale heard the WPA nonsense and the US Open?

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wpa is a truly corrupt entity, been saying this for years, wake up people

contracts in my world represent quid pro quo agreements i.e. monies paid for services rendered

i have no issues with such an agreement if you wanna pay these guys, this is a joke, put up a million in added monies and people will be happy to sign these slave contracts

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
What are the consequences?

wpa is a truly corrupt entity, been saying this for years, wake up people

contracts in my world represent quid pro quo agreements i.e. monies paid for services rendered

i have no issues with such an agreement if you wanna pay these guys, this is a joke, put up a million in added monies and people will be happy to sign these slave contracts

Promoters want players to come to their events and they get the added money together, whats the consequences if they let people play that arent WPA members and or have fines levied against them for some reason?

Why would one want to be in the good graces of the WPA anyway?

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully this will finally make all the Pro's come together and get rid of the totally inept WPA. And have it eventually replaced by something that actually works for the players and the game.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Charlie Williams and contracts. Reminds me of the UPA.

Just curious, but is the Mosconi Cup a WPA-sanctioned event?

They are a sponsor/partner, but I don't believe it's sanctioned by them. From their website

II Categories:

During any year there are many tournaments organised in the world of pool billiards. There are continental federations and/or the members of these federations who organise tournaments, but overall the majority of the tournaments are organised by promoters. Of course there is a substantial difference in significance between these tournaments. To reach a clear overview, tournaments are subdivided in the following categories:

A.World Championships
B.Qualifying tournaments for World Championships
C.Ranking events
D.Open tournaments

Since the Mosconi Cup is an exhibition, I'm not sure it would need to be sanctioned. I could be wrong though.

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are a sponsor/partner, but I don't believe it's sanctioned by them. From their website

Since the Mosconi Cup is an exhibition, I'm not sure it would need to be sanctioned. I could be wrong though.

I agree.
I don't think Barry Hearn would pay even if it was.
Look what he did when he wanted to take over the 9ball wc.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Someone at the WPA must be getting some good smoke. They are having pipe dreams. Johnnyt

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It also states it would only be valid until Dec 31 of the year it's signed.

"or for any other period specified" whatever that means. I'm (ass)uming that the Dec 31 will be on the contract and can't be changed after signing.

It is poor timing but for WPA good timing in the sense most will be forced to sign or not play in the US OPEN which really isn't an option unless you have the money to do so. It sounds a little shaky on the legal front. But if it's only valid for the end of the year it probably won't have any effect on the players ability to earn money playing in other events because of the stringent qualifications (added $$$) to have a WPA event.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I hope all the players start to ask for all tournament tables be covered with Champion or anything but Simonis. Put a little dent in the WPA presidents wallet. Johnnyt

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instead of helping pool, now WPA joins the ranks with the BCA in doing everything they can to destroy professional pool. :angry:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The WPA wants to run and control it all.... BUT CAN'T GUARANTEE THE MONEY PAYOUTS???????????

wtf? That's not a contract, that's just cruel.

Jeff Livingston

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
The WPA agreement is what a lot of people have been hoping for. Central governing body, unified rules, blah, blah, blah.

As I've said before, be careful what you wish for. The existing structure reflects the true state of the industry. You can try to force a new structure on the industry, but that isn't going to change the realities of pool's popularity. It's like trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

IMHO the agreement only benefits the WPA. There is nothing in it for the players.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
So why?

The WPA agreement is what a lot of people have been hoping for. Central governing body, unified rules, blah, blah, blah.

As I've said before, be careful what you wish for. The existing structure reflects the true state of the industry. You can try to force a new structure on the industry, but that isn't going to change the realities of pool's popularity. It's like trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

IMHO the agreement only benefits the WPA. There is nothing in it for the players.

So wtf? Are there enough events of this size for it to matter?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, just what happens if the players refuse to sign it? I don't see the U.S. Open getting cancelled at the last minute. Seems like the WPA is working hard to make themselves irrelevant. The timing of this sure makes one scratch their heads on the intent of it all.

edit: I really laughed at the part where the WPA states that they aren't responsible for any director not paying out. Trying hard to see just what the WPA is providing the players, and I don't see anything. ???

Last edited:

jchance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there anything to show that this is a genuine contract, besides one Facebook post (on which the image has been doctored)?