Whats wrong with me?

octy81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to be running into an issue everytime I play a lower level player , I play APA 8 BALL and for some reason everytime I get a lower skill level thrown at me I just can't seem to perform to the best of my abilities. I'm a skill level 6 , throw a 6 or a 7 at me and I'm there , but I seem to lose to the lower level players more often then I care to count. Any help out there

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I tend to play up or down to my opponent as well. The key, I believe, is to learn to play the table not the opponent.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Fear of success.
http://99u.com/articles/14347/are-you-subconsciously-afraid-of-success

Success is more complex than failure. On some level, it's more comfortable to stay in a familiar situation, even if it doesn't feel great on the surface. But achieving success (however you define it) means you are entering uncharted territory. Will I be able to repeat my successes?

Actually I think it's because you're too cocky and karma is biting you in the ass. "I'm too good to play this guy, why am I wasting my time here."

I seem to be running into an issue everytime I play a lower level player , I play APA 8 BALL and for some reason everytime I get a lower skill level thrown at me I just can't seem to perform to the best of my abilities. I'm a skill level 6 , throw a 6 or a 7 at me and I'm there , but I seem to lose to the lower level players more often then I care to count. Any help out there

Last edited:

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fear of success.

Success is more complex than failure. On some level, it's more comfortable to stay in a familiar situation, even if it doesn't feel great on the surface. But achieving success (however you define it) means you are entering uncharted territory. Will I be able to repeat my successes?

Actually I think it's because you're too cocky and karma is biting you in the ass. "I'm too good to play this guy, why am I wasting my time here."
It's happened to me before also..... It's completely mental. The fact that you recognize the other player being less skilled right off the bat will get in your head, make you nervous or anxious and then it affects your game. You think I have to win this one.! Tension in your hands, arms and shoulders will screw up your smooth stroke and then it's all down hill from there. Stay calm and focused no matter who you shoot.

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
I think your answer might lie in what way are you losing racks to the lower skilled player...

Are you failing to run all 8 and leaving yourself in One Ball Hell?
Are you getting an early lead say 4-0 and failing to close out the final rack?
Are you playing fast and loose or slow and tight?
Do you respect your opponents skill or are you chalking up a win before the match starts?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is how well you play.

Dont kid yourself, you skill level isnt the level you play at when you feel you are your best, it is below that.

Now get out there an take it to em! Quit yer lollygaggin.

Actually, dont go now. Wait until the poolroom opens.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go figure

I often do the same. A buddy who lives about 50 miles away shoots good pool. When I play him I do too. If I play a less skilled player I don't shoot as well.

I think part of it is my not being real competitive and finding no pleasure in "beating down" a less skilled player.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not trying to give offense but it needs to said: maybe you are not as good as you think you are.

Maybe you think you can make shots that you cannot. Watching the pros in person, on TV, perhaps on a stream or DVD, and the good players at your local room, they make pool look easy. They make it look *so* easy it's easy to lose sight of how crushingly difficult the game actually is and it becomes a matter of being disappointed in ourselves when we can't do this simple thing.

I recall watching Willie Mosconi run a 100 and I literally rushed to my pool hall thinking, "Well, that's so easy -- anyone should be able to do that!"

Lou Figueroa

RioSevario

Rivers
Silver Member
I think a lot of players go through this. They call it playing down to competition. Really feeling like you are stronger than the opponent can change your mind about how to play certain shots. Then they will get a "lucky" roll and hook you then all of a sudden you are down 1-0. No big deal, I will get it back next game. Similar results because of over confidence lead to a 2-0 deficit. Now nervous because you will lose if you make another mistake leads to playing too tense. I have done it, You have done it, I would venture to say almost everyone has done it at some point in their life. Try to practice playing the ghost. Every time you miss you lose. So, you will practice shape and not missing.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And this type of self awareness is usually revealed in retrospect.

Playing for money...or meals, or girlfriends...can accellerat the awareness.

!!!
Not trying to give offense but it needs to said: maybe you are not as good as you think you are.

Maybe you think you can make shots that you cannot. Watching the pros in person, on TV, perhaps on a stream or DVD, and the good players at your local room, they make pool look easy. They make it look *so* easy it's easy to lose sight of how crushingly difficult the game actually is and it becomes a matter of being disappointed in ourselves when we can't do this simple thing.

I recall watching Willie Mosconi run a 100 and I literally rushed to my pool hall thinking, "Well, that's so easy -- anyone should be able to do that!"

Lou Figueroa

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
For me I've noticed that it's a combination of things, first and foremost is I tend to lose
focus playing a lower rated player, especially if they are genuinely appropriately rated
an S/L 3.

Another thing I find myself doing is experimenting - doing things I wouldn't
otherwise do if I were playing a better player, taking stupid chances that I wouldn't take
because I'm reasonably certain I'll get another chance. It's not showing off or something
like that, it's more a chance to try something out in a game situation. If it doesn't work,
it's generally caused very little damage that I can likely recover from.

One of the big things I think is that much of a higher lever players game depends on the skill
of the opposition. If I play a 5, 6, or 7 and they break or I break dry, I can usually count on them
to run at least 4 or 5 balls. For me it's far easier to run out a table with less traffic.

If you're playing a 2 or 3 it's far more likely that they will make 1, maybe 2 or fewer balls, then
you're still dealing with all their traffic and a cluster or two.

In the APA you don't generally find actual pattern players. Many APA players live (or die) by the
adage that you think 2 or 3 balls ahead, so without the benefit of an advanced player that can play
patterns and set up working break-out plays, the clusters usually equal more innings.

I'll have matches where I play poorly, or a night when I might draw a 2 or 3 that is having a lights out night,
it happens, but the one thing I always try to emphasize is to know your opponent and prepare yourself for
the kind of match that you're likely to have. We'd all like to break and run every rack, but remember that
even if you win your games by 1 ball, you still win.

Last edited:

PoppaSaun

Banned
I don't think it is some of the reasons mentioned thus far.

I doubt you are experimenting or playing down because you don't take it seriously, you obviously do, seeing as how you are bothered enough to make a post about it.

I think you are dealing with the stress of the situation poorly. I think you place an inflated sense of importance on losing to lower rated players. You are obviously embarrassed by losing to lower rated players. This is causing you undue stress and you are letting it affect you.

I suggest buying and reading, 'Sports Psyching': https://www.amazon.com/SPORTS-PSYCHING-Playing-Your-Best/dp/0874771366

The guys who wrote it worked with professional sports teams. The book will give you insights to your motivation for competing, how to cope with stress, how to recognize what drives you to win...and lose.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA 6 in 8 ball isn't high enough to expect consistent results. Spend more time at a table and improve your game.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My point of view....

It's a natural state of mind often, when you're the favorite, to play 'not to lose', rather
than play to win....very negative.

I learned this early from gambling...if you have an edge, and you don't play your game...
...where's your edge?

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do the same thing but mine comes down to laziness. I think I'm going to get to the table a few times so if I don't run out my first time at the table I do silly crap figuring I'll get back to the table a time or two more so who cares. I also don't focus nearly as much.

Now that I've finally realized what it was I try to play the table not the person and it's been getting better.

PoppaSaun

Banned
...I try to play the table not the person and it's been getting better.

I think the opposite is true. I play the person. Always. Playing someone as good as or better than I requires my respect, I need to play well to have a chance.

Playing someone below my skill level means that I could eff around, but I won't because that is insulting to them and creates bad habits for me. I will try to slaughter weaker players. I will be a nice guy about it, but I want to play my best.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same as me, you think your better than you really are !!!

octy81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me I've noticed that it's a combination of things, first and foremost is I tend to lose
focus playing a lower rated player, especially if they are genuinely appropriately rated
an S/L 3.

Another thing I find myself doing is experimenting - doing things I wouldn't
otherwise do if I were playing a better player, taking stupid chances that I wouldn't take
because I'm reasonably certain I'll get another chance. It's not showing off or something
like that, it's more a chance to try something out in a game situation. If it doesn't work,
it's generally caused very little damage that I can likely recover from.

One of the big things I think is that much of a higher lever players game depends on the skill
of the opposition. If I play a 5, 6, or 7 and they break or I break dry, I can usually count on them
to run at least 4 or 5 balls. For me it's far easier to run out a table with less traffic.

If you're playing a 2 or 3 it's far more likely that they will make 1, maybe 2 or fewer balls, then
you're still dealing with all their traffic and a cluster or two.

In the APA you don't generally find actual pattern players. Many APA players live (or die) by the
adage that you think 2 or 3 balls ahead, so without the benefit of an advanced player that can play
patterns and set up working break-out plays, the clusters usually equal more innings.

I'll have matches where I play poorly, or a night when I might draw a 2 or 3 that is having a lights out night,
it happens, but the one thing I always try to emphasize is to know your opponent and prepare yourself for
the kind of match that you're likely to have. We'd all like to break and run every rack, but remember that
even if you win your games by 1 ball, you still win.

You know what I do tend to try more difficult or flashy shots when I'm playing a lower level player , thinking oh if I miss I'll get it back , and it does happen I'll be up 4 to 0 and then something happens where I can't close that last match out then m in desperation mode trying to win. My stroke becomes tighter , I tend to second guess myself, shots become harder , I know it's a mind thing , how do you break out of it ?