Goofy Bar Rules I Have Encountered

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it would be fun and interesting to list the goofy bar pool rules we have all encountered. This is specifically for coin-op tables (i.e., potted balls can't be spotted.)

(I recognize that not all will consider these goofy! Some may consider them "normal.")

1. Spacing: if the cue ball is up against the rail, you can move it away by the width of your cue stick butt.

2. Bridge Ball: if an object ball is in the way of where you would like to place your bridge hand, you may grasp the object ball with in your fist, without moving it, to make a bridge over it.

3. Eight on the break loses. (I think it should win.).

4. Scratch on the break loses.

5. Ball in hand only behind the head string. If all balls of your group are above the head string, the lowest one is spotted on the foot spot.

6. "Scooping" jump shots are allowed.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7. 8-ball should be pocketed in opposite corner or opposite side

8. you get 2 turns when opponent fouls or scratches

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
9. Each scatch shot costs a quarter in the jukebox.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
The only one of those I've heard of is #2.

I just shake my head when playing someone who plays bar rules. How many times I've heard a bar rules player say that BCA or similar rules allow slop. Whatever, I always tell them to show me where bar rules are written down. Because it seems every bar has different rules.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rule # 10. If the 8 brushes the rail on the way to the pocket, it's called a bank shot that you didn't call. 8 doesn't count and you lose your turn.

Rule # 11. If your object ball caroms off one of my balls...it's an illegal shot and you lose your turn.

Yes, I think I'll meet you at the poolroom since you play your best game on a 9 footer and we can bet it up.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rule # 10. If the 8 brushes the rail on the way to the pocket, it's called a bank shot that you didn't call. 8 doesn't count and you lose your turn.

Rule # 11. If your object ball caroms off one of my balls...it's an illegal shot and you lose your turn.

Yes, I think I'll meet you at the poolroom since you play your best game on a 9 footer and we can bet it up.

I first encountered #11 in north Worcester County, MA (Fitchburg, Leominster) when I lived there in the late 90's. I called and shot the carom, and I was informed that it was their shot. I was "ridiculed" for never having played in a bar before! LOL!!!

I grew up in western Mass and won countless of bar-rules tournaments, so it's not a Massachusetts thing.

Freddie <~~~ never been in a bar before

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
5. Ball in hand only behind the head string. If all balls of your group are above the head string, the lowest one is spotted on the foot spot.

Ball in hand only behind the head string (only when your opponent scratches, because usually there's no rule about having to contact a cushion).

If the object ball you have to shoot is behind the head string it is not spotted, and you have to kick at it.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
My favorite is the split shot, where either ball counts.
Bar Pool=Hillbilly Pool
"Imma gonna split-em"

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it would be fun and interesting to list the goofy bar pool rules we have all encountered.

1. Spacing: if the cue ball is up against the rail, you can move it away by the width of your cue stick butt.

^^^ that's not a goofy bar rule........pretty much a universal professional billiards rule....

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't take balls out of the pocket if it is full. Have to shoot at a different pocket.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If you make a legal hit and pocket your ball and one of your opponents balls goes in first, you lose your turn.

Touch a rail and it's a bank.

Cannot touch the 8 at all on any shot(except on the 8 ball) lose turn.

If they play safe and dont hit a rail it's ok, if you do it right back it's time to go outside and fight, many times against more than one person.

Jason

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
(420) The eight ball must be a called bank shot.
I encountered this one in northern California. It can cause the game to last forever if the player isn't good at banks. Really pisses off the player waiting to play the next game too.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Chalk eight

When I was back in the midwest we would play chalk eight.

After the break you would place the chalk on the table with the divot up and set the eight ball on the chalk. If you knocked the eight ball off the chalk during the game you lost.
Once you made your last ball the eight ball would be placed back onto the table and you would shoot it as per normal.:cool: