Pool Cue Extentions

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a Tony Ryan 12" extension. I tested it out and it fit fine on my cue. It was snug but went on easy and came off easy. I have not used it much but from what I can see of the inside padding, it seems secure enough. So perhaps they have changed the design to prevent the padding detachment issue some spoke of.

However, after trying it, I like a bridge better. The problem is that when leaning long over the table to reach a shot with the extension, your bridge hand will be bridging the cue stick way up the shaft, around the joint. This long pivot point results in a large error in tip placement for any small amount of movement in your back hand. Also, the shaft is very thick around the joint and the cue does not stroke smoothly, even with an open bridge. This also increases cueing error.

So the Tony Ryan extension seems to do exactly what it advertises to do, but I just question the usefulness of the technique.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
I just bought a Tony Ryan 12" extension. I tested it out and it fit fine on my cue. It was snug but went on easy and came off easy. I have not used it much but from what I can see of the inside padding, it seems secure enough. So perhaps they have changed the design to prevent the padding detachment issue some spoke of.

However, after trying it, I like a bridge better. The problem is that when leaning long over the table to reach a shot with the extension, your bridge hand will be bridging the cue stick way up the shaft, around the joint. This long pivot point results in a large error in tip placement for any small amount of movement in your back hand. Also, the shaft is very thick around the joint and the cue does not stroke smoothly, even with an open bridge. This also increases cueing error.

So the Tony Ryan extension seems to do exactly what it advertises to do, but I just question the usefulness of the technique.

My experience with extensions is the same as yours - when using them the part of the cue sliding through your fingers is the varnished part near the joint, and it doesn't slide easily. I bought a glove to use on these occasions and it helps, but then it becomes a hassle to put the extension on and also the glove. John Schmidt successfully uses that monster extension of his but he always has his glove on.

Still, there are some shots where it helps - for example, in straight pool when you want to hit a break shot with more force than a bridge allows. I have a Longoni in my case but I seldom use it. 95% of the time I reach for the bridge rather than the extension. In contrast to a previous poster I haven't had any problems with the Longoni, though it is pricey for the materials it's made of. I've also used the shorter Tony Ryan without problems. I assume the longer Ryan works fine too but it won't fit in the vast majority of cases.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
My experience with extensions is the same as yours - when using them the part of the cue sliding through your fingers is the varnished part near the joint, and it doesn't slide easily. I bought a glove to use on these occasions and it helps, but then it becomes a hassle to put the extension on and also the glove. John Schmidt successfully uses that monster extension of his but he always has his glove on.

Still, there are some shots where it helps - for example, in straight pool when you want to hit a break shot with more force than a bridge allows. I have a Longoni in my case but I seldom use it. 95% of the time I reach for the bridge rather than the extension. In contrast to a previous poster I haven't had any problems with the Longoni, though it is pricey for the materials it's made of. I've also used the shorter Tony Ryan without problems. I assume the longer Ryan works fine too but it won't fit in the vast majority of cases.

Maybe just a little powder for those occasions would help the cue slide easier. I don't use baby powder that much but keep some handy that I put into a tiny travel size shampoo bottle from a hotel room that doesn't take up any space in my bag.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a member here in az sells this so far all that has tried were very happy including me here's what it looked like :
1322204070.jpg

1322204015.jpg

those can scratch your finish it you have a high polished cue.

I like slip on Hagar the best they are faster and wont mark up a cue, I carry my jump cue butt in it in my case so it dont take up much room. Hagars are also a bit lighter and longer they dont really mess up the feel of the cue to bad either unless its a real long reach. IMO they are hands down the best extenders ever, I have used them all.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

I like slip on Hagar the best they are faster and wont mark up a cue, I carry my jump cue butt in it in my case so it dont take up much room. Hagars are also a bit lighter and longer they dont really mess up the feel of the cue to bad either unless its a real long reach. IMO they are hands down the best extenders ever, I have used them all.

Fatboy, have you seen this particular item? I know the Longoni doesn't really have any padding to the grippers that tighten around the cue, but do you know if this one does or not?

I love my Hager too, but the 18 incher I have doesn't fit in any pockets. So when I need to carry it I use my butterfly case cuz I can just throw it in there. I also have a 12" Tony R that does fit in the long pocket of my cases and it's fine for league because I use a less expensive cue. But for my higher end cues I prefer the Hager.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Just bought the tony ryan extender myself. Im only 5'7 so even when I stretch, my back hand wants to be on the fat part of the extension. No good for me, I like the cheap cue reach better.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy, have you seen this particular item? I know the Longoni doesn't really have any padding to the grippers that tighten around the cue, but do you know if this one does or not?

I love my Hager too, but the 18 incher I have doesn't fit in any pockets. So when I need to carry it I use my butterfly case cuz I can just throw it in there. I also have a 12" Tony R that does fit in the long pocket of my cases and it's fine for league because I use a less expensive cue. But for my higher end cues I prefer the Hager.

I have not seen this exact one, so my statment that I seen "them all" was over reaching. But I have seen these type with felt liners and I didnt like them, they still bite down hard on the cue and can scratch the polish of a cue, the scratches can be buffed out they dont remove any of the clear. I just dont like the clamped down feel and they are fat rite at the butt and make the balance of the cue feel weird-Hagars dont. FWIW JA showed me his Hagar and I was sold, he has used one for years. he isnt a paid sponser, he likes them.

I like the Hagar's cause they come on/off in a second and dont scratch the cue, make the cue feel funny etc.

as far as drilling a hole in the butt and adding a extension, Dick Neighbors did that on bartrums cue and its great for a extra 6-8". I have the same screw in extension on my snooker cue. I thought about having tony do that to my boar and I would if I didnt like the Hagar extension so much, I would have a female insert drilled into the butt, like Chris's cue has.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I have not seen this exact one, so my statment that I seen "them all" was over reaching. But I have seen these type with felt liners and I didnt like them, they still bite down hard on the cue and can scratch the polish of a cue, the scratches can be buffed out they dont remove any of the clear. I just dont like the clamped down feel and they are fat rite at the butt and make the balance of the cue feel weird-Hagars dont. FWIW JA showed me his Hagar and I was sold, he has used one for years. he isnt a paid sponser, he likes them.

I like the Hagar's cause they come on/off in a second and dont scratch the cue, make the cue feel funny etc.

as far as drilling a hole in the butt and adding a extension, Dick Neighbors did that on bartrums cue and its great for a extra 6-8". I have the same screw in extension on my snooker cue. I thought about having tony do that to my boar and I would if I didnt like the Hagar extension so much, I would have a female insert drilled into the butt, like Chris's cue has.

Thanks E, one of the other things that bother me about a design like this and the Longoni is that it seems kind of clumsy to operate. You have to hold on to both a 58" cue and the extension at the same time in order to twist the thing tight. I've seem guys ding their shafts against the light or the table while fumbling putting it on or taking it off. Guess I'll stick with my Hager.

The only problem I guess with the Hager is you need at least the 18" one and it won't fit in a pocket. The 12" model might fit in a case pocket but because the cue goes into it several inches that doesn't leave much extra to reach with.

Last edited:

joyren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i must agree with you sir that this extension can scratch your high polished cue, if you use it incorrectly same goes with the longgoni and other extensions

there's always a proper way of using this, i myself has one, the reason why the cue will be scratch is if you twist the cue to the extension, that should not be the case here.just my idea

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i must agree with you sir that this extension can scratch your high polished cue, if you use it incorrectly same goes with the longgoni and other extensions

there's always a proper way of using this, i myself has one, the reason why the cue will be scratch is if you twist the cue to the extension, that should not be the case here.just my idea

yeah your finished if you twist the cue-I know I did that once to a cue, had it polished out.

But if the cue slips a little becuse its not seated to the very bottom it can still move a bit and scratch a polished cue, if your playing with a well worn cue then its a moot point, some of my players have been such cues, others are polished up real nice even after 100's of hours of play. I get my cue polished once a year.

I just like the slip-on/slip-off solution the best.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another nice feature of the Hager extenders (I don't think this has been mentioned yet) is that they can be adjusted to fit the diameter of your butt and can then be re-adjusted later if you change cues.

The adjustment is simply to change the amount of paper (paper towel works fine) that is placed between the the layers of mesh tubing -- add paper towel for a tighter fit, remove some for a looser fit.

And the extenders came in small, standard, and large -- each with a different maximum butt diameter.

And they came in seven different lengths, from 12" to 24".

Yes, I really like them.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I have had a Hager for quite a while and love it. There is zero doubt in my mind that this extension will never harm a cue finish. The webbing inside is the absolute best.

However, in my never-ending quest to seek out the best of everything, I recently bought a Tony Ryan extension, even after reading mixed reviews. The weak point folks were mentioning most was to do with the interior material coming loose and even in one case, coming out.

The only reason I wanted to try one is because the Hager is a large outside diameter and as a result, feels a little unnatural.

The Tony Ryan arrived a few weeks ago and does, in fact, feel way better to me with it's much skinnier grip - more like a cue handle. :thumbup:

I inspected the material inside, looks okay. The fit is snug and I feel confident shooting a power stroke shot with it off a bridge (I love these things for that type of shot).

It looks like it could be less protective of the cues finish so none of my upper end cues will be used with it, just my old warhorse TS merry widow player. ;)

When I had a Swift case made recently, I had Dennis add a pouch for an extension - real happy with this decision.

Either the 17" Hager or Ryan extensions both fit perfectly. FYI, that's the back of the case. The front has the two usual pockets for all other accessories including a jump handle compartment.

Best,
Brian kc

Attachments

• swift-case-hager-pouch.jpg
    swift-case-hager-pouch.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Another nice feature of the Hager extenders (I don't think this has been mentioned yet) is that they can be adjusted to fit the diameter of your butt and can then be re-adjusted later if you change cues.

The adjustment is simply to change the amount of paper (paper towel works fine) that is placed between the the layers of mesh tubing -- add paper towel for a tighter fit, remove some for a looser fit.

That's assuming the butt isn't too big to begin with though. Some older cues with a fatter butt won't fit.

I have had a Hager for quite a while and love it. There is zero doubt in my mind that this extension will never harm a cue finish. The webbing inside is the absolute best.
:thumbup:...
Best,
Brian kc

KC, I think I recall reading somewhere that the interior to the extension is the same material that Hager used to line his cases.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Can those who know about these slip on extenders tell me what the best one to get would be? I am in the market for one of these as my bridge skills are a bit poor but improving... in the meantime though, i would like to get one of these to avoid improving my bridge skills when it counts and i fail.

i was looking at the tony ryan extender... any good suggestions or thoughts?

Thank You.

Nate: I have a Tony Ryan. Try mine sometime. I am at Red Shoes tonight and you can borrow it if you want.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's assuming the butt isn't too big to begin with though. Some older cues with a fatter butt won't fit.

KC, I think I recall reading somewhere that the interior to the extension is the same material that Hager used to line his cases.

Maybe you overlooked the portion of my post where I said they made the extenders in three different diameters. The small size holds butt diameters up to 1.170"; the standard size goes up to 1.295"; and the large size up to 1.455". So, yes, most normal-sized butts will not fit in the small size extender. And if you have an abnormally thick butt, the large size extender might be needed.

As to the mesh tubing material used in the extenders, it is the same material as is used inside the tubes for the butts and shafts in the Hager cases. In fact, the butt tubes in the cases can be pulled out of the case and used as long extenders.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Maybe you overlooked the portion of my post where I said they made the extenders in three different diameters. The small size holds butt diameters up to 1.170"; the standard size goes up to 1.295"; and the large size up to 1.455". So, yes, most normal-sized butts will not fit in the small size extender. And if you have an abnormally thick butt, the large size extender might be needed.

As to the mesh tubing material used in the extenders, it is the same material as is used inside the tubes for the butts and shafts in the Hager cases. In fact, the butt tubes in the cases can be pulled out of the case and used as long extenders.

I did miss that AtLarge, I guess I was thinking of lengths because I never knew that. I'd never heard that about different diameter sizes in any for sale thread I've come across either. Wish I'd known. Hopefully he will be up and running again soon so I can get one to fit my old Titleist conversion. Thanks.