Cloth ripping issue...

Llama

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a problem.. I have Simonis cloth installed on my olhausen table, and there are rips developing on both side pockets and on two of the corner pockets (same side). The first rip happened shortly after I had the table installed, and has gotten worse over the last few years.

I informed the retailer/dealer of the issue. This is the response...

"Mr. Morris, I took a look at your pictures, thanks for providing them. This problem comes from hitting the balls very hard. What happens is the ball hits the back of the pocket, bounces forward and hits the edge of the slate. That cuts the cloth and those little cuts turn into longer tears from the ball hitting over and over. With your cloth now being 2 years old, it makes perfect sense that those little cuts have grown into large rips. There is no flaw in the cloth and it's not from over stretching. Matter of fact, Simonis cloth has hardly any give at all. I'm sure this is not the answer you were looking for but I'm sorry, that's what it's from. If you feel you would like to talk to the manufacturer, I would be more than happy to provide you with their number. Any other questions or concerns, feel free to call our store. I also wanted to thank you for being a Master Z's customer and purchasing your Olhausen American made pool table."

Does this sound realistic? I am not some kid slamming every shot in the pocket. And I am the only person that uses the table. I haven't heard of this happening, and now I am really confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Llama

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
egu5ahu8.jpg

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I wonder if there was a pocket liner behind the cloth?

I wonder if there was a pocket liner behind the cloth? If the rip occurred on the edge of the slate, then it is on you.

If the rip developed below that does anyone think a pocket liner would have prevented this? just wondering:)

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Olhausens

It is caused by the back of the pocket being too close to the slate, happens all the time on bar tables. Besides the death rattle, another reason that I don't particularly care for Olhausens.

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me and my buddy used to cover a pool room full of these same tables in Ohio and they had the same problem. We determined the angle at the back of the pocket was to flat and the balls would bounce back and hit the slate instead of rebounding down into the pocket. Here are two things we did to help (not totaly stop) fix thid problem.

1 Instal pocket liner (small strip of cloth) with spray glue as high up on the edge of the slate as possible.

2 Rather than stretch the cloth in one single piece over the edge we would place some relief cuts so the the cloth is not to tight.

We may have used dubble cloth on pocket liner.

Hope this some help... David

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
I'm with your installer on this one. Cant see anything he did wrong: slate edge is round and cloth seems firmly attached. You might try a rubber or leather pocket.

reverend

Table Mechanic
Silver Member
I have had the same issue with these Olhausens. It is not the installers fault or Simonis' fault. If you want to blame someone give Olhausen a call. The problem can be somewhat helped by smoothing the edge of the slate with a file or some sandpaper. Then double up the slate liners and hope for the best.

Llama

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not trying to blame anyone for the issue. I just wanted to understand the problem.

Thank you

realkingcobra

Silver Member
As everyone has said, it's the drop pockets and them being to close to the slate shelf that is causing the cutting of the cloth, but...next time you get the cloth changed, have the installer put some 1/16" thick neoprene in the pocket shelf, glued right to the inside edge, then sand the top side of the neoprene to profile the same round over of the slate, but just enough to not be in the way of a ball rolling over it like a lip on the edge of the pocket, that'll stop the cloth from cutting through next time.

Glen

Take a look at the plastic pocket and you'll see the design of the pocket has a bevel from the top inside of the pocket Angeled to direct the balls down in to the pocket...as to not hit the face of the slate.
The problem is the angle stops short of where the ball contacts the pocket and the ball hit the back flat part of the pocket and comes back in to the edge of the slate cutting the top of the cloth. Sand the slate edge and if you want to use neoprene.....use it in the back of the pocket making a longer bevel from the top of the pocket....not on the slate edges.

Mark Gregory

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

What do the balls have to do with this? Not a smart a$$, just want to know.
Thanks

-
Just curious, I have had several used pool tables owners that purchased the table with several sets of odd sizes balls that would cause a nasty ricochet off those plastic pockets.
-
The plastic pocket was not trimmed to fit just right. Could be the camera angle' the plastic drop pocket looks to be protruding in to the business area of the pocket, that can cause a ball to drop in a spinning lash rebound.
Remove the plastic drop pockets and trim flush to the back of the facing.
Install a pocket nail in the top and install one in the bottom of each pocket ear to secure in place.
Rob.M

Last edited:

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a problem.. I have Simonis cloth installed on my olhausen table, and there are rips developing on both side pockets and on two of the corner pockets (same side). The first rip happened shortly after I had the table installed, and has gotten worse over the last few years.

I informed the retailer/dealer of the issue. This is the response...

"Mr. Morris, I took a look at your pictures, thanks for providing them. This problem comes from hitting the balls very hard. What happens is the ball hits the back of the pocket, bounces forward and hits the edge of the slate. That cuts the cloth and those little cuts turn into longer tears from the ball hitting over and over. With your cloth now being 2 years old, it makes perfect sense that those little cuts have grown into large rips. There is no flaw in the cloth and it's not from over stretching. Matter of fact, Simonis cloth has hardly any give at all. I'm sure this is not the answer you were looking for but I'm sorry, that's what it's from. If you feel you would like to talk to the manufacturer, I would be more than happy to provide you with their number. Any other questions or concerns, feel free to call our store. I also wanted to thank you for being a Master Z's customer and purchasing your Olhausen American made pool table."

Does this sound realistic? I am not some kid slamming every shot in the pocket. And I am the only person that uses the table. I haven't heard of this happening, and now I am really confused.

See it all the time in bars and semi serious pool rooms

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... This is the response...

"Mr. Morris, I took a look at your pictures, thanks for providing them. This problem comes from hitting the balls very hard. What happens is the ball hits the back of the pocket, bounces forward and hits the edge of the slate. That cuts the cloth and those little cuts turn into longer tears from the ball hitting over and over. With your cloth now being 2 years old, it makes perfect sense that those little cuts have grown into large rips. There is no flaw in the cloth and it's not from over stretching. Matter of fact, Simonis cloth has hardly any give at all. I'm sure this is not the answer you were looking for but I'm sorry, that's what it's from. If you feel you would like to talk to the manufacturer, I would be more than happy to provide you with their number. Any other questions or concerns, feel free to call our store. I also wanted to thank you for being a Master Z's customer and purchasing your Olhausen American made pool table."...

Seems the cause is diagnosed...I just wanted to say that Master Z's response to you is a good one. Customer service skills there!

Opens and closes with positivity, reiterates your specific concern and then addresses it...provides you with an additional resource, should you require further on the matter.

Sandwiches the bad news between happy notes. Good CSR there. Give that typer a raise.