The knife and the ......

meridianblades

BIG SHILL
Silver Member
There are about 120 living Master Smiths in the world, and J. Nielson is one of them. He just finished this drop point hunter for me.

The last 3 pics are the beginnings of what will go with that knife...

M9MllOz.jpg

0AZwACu.jpg

scZwanU.jpg

EaE7lr4.jpg

bA2hqvc.jpg

Any guesses what these round pieces might be for?

RbFEBb9.jpg

YfHKH6N.jpg

rDXQoSS.jpg

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would love to have a cue made out of the wood in that bottom pic.

i am guessing that wood is marbleized for stability ? what kind of wood is in the bottom picture ?

meridianblades

BIG SHILL
Silver Member
i would love to have a cue made out of the wood in that bottom pic.

i am guessing that wood is marbleized for stability ? what kind of wood is in the bottom picture ?

Hey thanks.... the wood on the knife and the wood rounds (bottom pic)are both black and red double dyed and pro stabilized Box Elder Burl. The all black stuff is Maple Burl dyed black and pro stabilized. Hopefully there are more pics to come soon. -L

jayrox

Toxic Moose
Silver Member
is that Damascus steel? Looks like a beauty...it definitely looks like his knives don't come cheap!!

Jason

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I've been collecting high-end Custom Knives 40+ yrs. and always
appreciate something out of the ordinary. Intriguing Wood.
I am anxious to see the pics of your new Cue when completed.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Very nice! I'd love to have an authentic Bowie made by this guy...I'll bet he'd knock it out of the park. I love custom knives, but I can't fade the half/dime and up price tag...makes it tough to take it hunting/camping. :wink: My father turned me on to Anza. http://www.anzaknives.com/
This guy makes custom knives out of old file stock...feels and handles like Damascus. My father bought me a Duneslayer to take to Afghanistan; it was a bi@#$ to sharpen (the steel is like 56 Rockwell or higher), but once sharp it holds it's edge forever...I butchered half a cow with it and it was still shaving sharp afterwards. Definitely a nice bargain.

Hambone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Mr. Nielson around 7 years ago at the Blade Show in Atlanta.
I think he had just recently passed his Journeyman Smith test. Real nice guy to talk to. I haven't been to the show in several years and really miss going. Its kind of an assault on your senses the first few times.

meridianblades

BIG SHILL
Silver Member
Thanks for checking out my pics.... J. used 1084 carbon steel for the blade on this one. (not Damascus) Looks like he got a very nice hamon on the blade as well. :thumbup:

The cue will have segments of the box elder and the rest will be black maple burl. I don't think you will see too many like it....

J. just finished up at Blade this year, and was going to mail my knife to me when he got back. Blade is a very cool show. I was there in 2011.

Here is J's website, if you want to check out some of his other work. --> http://www.mountainhollow.net/

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice blade!

I've made a few myself and there is a lot of work that goes into a hand-forged knife. I still have the forge I made and three anvils collecting dust. The other day I was going through some boxes of supplies and I came across a sweet Bowie that is ready for heat treating and final grinding. Maybe this post will inspire me to finish it.

FWIW James Schmidt used to live about 15 minutes from my house. Jim made the most incredible folders of all time. I visited him a few times before he died, and he showed me some his pieces that weren't for sale. They were so beautiful tears literally came to my eyes. Every piece was made entirely by hand, except for the Damascus billets themselves, for which he used a power hammer to laminate. He was the most meticulous craftsman I ever met, and a terrible loss for the knife making community when he passed.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/533911-The-KNIFE-ART-of-a-LEGEND

Cue makers could learn a ton about fine hand fit and finish from studying the works of masters like Jim.

Poke_N_Hope

Lost in Paradise
Silver Member
I couldn't agree more that a cue maker can glen lots of handy craftsmanship ideas and tricks for other fine art workers. I have a good buddy that makes high end knives...the guy is amazing. We are always bantering about designs, materials, how to best to something intricate or tricky...even swapping thoughts on tools. We push each other to try new stuff, expand outside of our skillet comfort zone, etc... He turned me on to using mammoth tooth and mammoth ovory for inlays....and between the two of us, have a pretty good system to making these highly delicate materials work.

The same can be said for an old cabinet maker buddy, my buddy that makes exclusive tobacco pipes, and my buddy that makes fly rods.

meridianblades

BIG SHILL
Silver Member
Nice blade!

I've made a few myself and there is a lot of work that goes into a hand-forged knife. I still have the forge I made and three anvils collecting dust. The other day I was going through some boxes of supplies and I came across a sweet Bowie that is ready for heat treating and final grinding. Maybe this post will inspire me to finish it.

FWIW James Schmidt used to live about 15 minutes from my house. Jim made the most incredible folders of all time. I visited him a few times before he died, and he showed me some his pieces that weren't for sale. They were so beautiful tears literally came to my eyes. Every piece was made entirely by hand, except for the Damascus billets themselves, for which he used a power hammer to laminate. He was the most meticulous craftsman I ever met, and a terrible loss for the knife making community when he passed.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/533911-The-KNIFE-ART-of-a-LEGEND

Cue makers could learn a ton about fine hand fit and finish from studying the works of masters like Jim.

Thanks for mentioning Schmidt's work ....beautiful. His passing was a big loss to the community for sure. I have been reading some of your posts regarding wood lately here in the CM forum. Interesting..... Here's a link of mine you might find intriguing regarding wood and moisture content. http://www.billiardsmarket.com/soaking-your-wood-t952.html

-L

meridianblades

BIG SHILL
Silver Member
I couldn't agree more that a cue maker can glen lots of handy craftsmanship ideas and tricks for other fine art workers. I have a good buddy that makes high end knives...the guy is amazing. We are always bantering about designs, materials, how to best to something intricate or tricky...even swapping thoughts on tools. We push each other to try new stuff, expand outside of our skillet comfort zone, etc... He turned me on to using mammoth tooth and mammoth ovory for inlays....and between the two of us, have a pretty good system to making these highly delicate materials work.

The same can be said for an old cabinet maker buddy, my buddy that makes exclusive tobacco pipes, and my buddy that makes fly rods.

I believe there is a lot of cross over in materials, and some techniques. Thanks for posting I am interested in seeing some of your pics of your work. I wish more CM posted in progress pics, and how to threads.

I went to the mailbox today and my blade from J was in there. It is sooo much better looking in person, versus pictures. Fit and finish is spot on. He included a lovely soft case with it, and a laminated COA card. I will make some "pants" (leather sheath) for it and it will be complete.

My focus will then be on following along with the cue build.... Should be a lot of fun

rySRtwF.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always wanted to build knives . A local Custom knife maker passed . I bought just about everything in the shop , tools , S Steel , brass rod and bar stock , sanders , vacume system , and hundreads blanks . Then I realized the sparks were not needed in the cue shop . Sold everything except for some brass rod and bar stock . Love custom knives . jim

meridianblades

BIG SHILL
Silver Member
I always wanted to build knives . A local Custom knife maker passed . I bought just about everything in the shop , tools , S Steel , brass rod and bar stock , sanders , vacume system , and hundreads blanks . Then I realized the sparks were not needed in the cue shop . Sold everything except for some brass rod and bar stock . Love custom knives . jim

Jim what kind of bar stock do you have still? Thanks for lookin... :thumbup: