Cue Pivot Points

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On my pool cues I have marks where the pivot points are for applying side spin. I've done it ever since I took pool up because I couldn't or rather didn't like the fact the balls, cues and cloth were all new to me so I couldn't judge how I normally play with side - from experience.

It only takes me 10 minutes to find a few pivot points for how I cue with a new cue that has a pro taper, and usually a tip size of around 12 - 13mm. I prefer playing with smaller tip and a conical taper though, and for some reason I can't figure out where the pivot points are on such cues. I'm no expert on this but I assume the smaller the tip, for example an ultra low squirt shaft with a tip diameter of say 11.25mm the further back the pivot point should be? Would it be so far back that I can't bridge on the point whilst keeping my form and use BHE?

I've given up all hope of trying this with my snooker cue. I think the pivot point must be really far back, so much so that I wouldn't be able to bridge there. It wouldn't be handy when using the rest though.

So, if anyone can enlighten me and give me a pivot point 101 lesson I'd really appreciate it.

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
I also mark my pivot points.
In one of my cues, I drilled a small hole and embedded a CZ.