Titlist Conversion Joint ID?

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any idea who might have made a joint like this on a very old Titlist conversion?

received_1848483742068885.jpeg

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have four shafts with that exact pilot. I only have the shafts. Got them thrown in on a deal. One has a ivory ferrule but sadly it is severely cracked. They are nice shafts.

I think they are "mass produced". But I don't know by what company. I don't think Brunswick.

I will be curious to see this nailed down.....

Pointed brass pin?
Names that come to mind:

Adam
Mali
Viking
Rich
Others of that ilk.....

Last edited:

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue itself is a wrapless stamped willie hoppe titlist blank but thought I'd check to see if anyone recognized the joint or if it was just like that from Brunswick or from one of the companies you mentioned.

I have four shafts with that exact pilot. I only have the shafts. Got them thrown in on a deal. One has a ivory ferrule but sadly it is severely cracked. They are nice shafts.

I think they are "mass produced". But I don't know by what company. I don't think Brunswick.

I will be curious to see this nailed down.....

Pointed brass pin?
Names that come to mind:

Adam
Mali
Viking
Rich
Others of that ilk.....

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stock Brunswick joint from the 70s. One of their factories in Asia did these

I have seen the joint on other cues I believe, in addition to Brunswick. Who's factory actually made it?

Adam?
Schmelke was also involved with Brunswick.

Other?

I didn't know Brunswisk had any factories in Asia.

So far, I think the best bet is Adam.

As I said I have four. One of them has an ivory ferrule. Original? Not if Adam made it. Added? Ever see somebody put an ivory ferrule on an Adam cue? Anything is possible I guess.

The OP said this is a Titlist. A seventies Titlist? That would be either a Schmelke splice or an Adam splice...not Brunswick made. Most of us can tell the difference in a split second I think.

I want to see the rest of the cue.

There are inconsistencies, matters that do not mesh.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I have seen the joint on other cues I believe, in addition to Brunswick. Who's factory actually made it?

Adam?
Schmelke was also involved with Brunswick.

Other?

I didn't know Brunswisk had any factories in Asia.

So far, I think the best bet is Adam.

As I said I have four. One of them has an ivory ferrule. Original? Not if Adam made it. Added? Ever see somebody put an ivory ferrule on an Adam cue? Anything is possible I guess.

The OP said this is a Titlist. A seventies Titlist? That would be either a Schmelke splice or an Adam splice...not Brunswick made. Most of us can tell the difference in a split second I think.

I want to see the rest of the cue.

There are inconsistencies, matters that do not mesh.

I meant "a factory that made Titlists". Probably Adam or some even lesser firm that did the full splices.

I've seen ivory added to a Cuetec, so I don't rule anything out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just started my 6th 12 hour shift of the week. Been a long week. I will post pics tomorrow when I get up. I appreciate the feebback.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I meant "a factory that made Titlists". Probably Adam or some even lesser firm that did the full splices.

I've seen ivory added to a Cuetec, so I don't rule anything out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sorry, I knew what you meant. I was more-or-less thinking out loud. :smile:

I am thinking these were Adam made but not sure. I am very curious to see the rest of this cue.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Pics

Looks very old. Shockingly butt and shaft are almost gun barrel straight still. It does not have the green titlist sticker. Points are very close to even as well. Plays great.

IMG_20170313_135238.jpg

IMG_20170313_135207.jpg

IMG_20170313_135554.jpg

IMG_20170313_135106.jpg

IMG_20170313_135125.jpg

IMG_20170313_135136.jpg

Last edited:

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that's definitely a prewar titlist that is American made. As for the joint work the
Pin looks to be Brunswick (I've seen them pointed like that before ) but the shaft pilot is unique....what's got me is how clean it is.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm suprised there are really no dents or dings in the butt or shaft. Quite a feat for a cue this old.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The collar looks turned down. This could be an original Hoppe shaft that had some surgery done to the pilot, with the insert chamfered off like that. The plastic collar looks right.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting.

Really cool cue. :thumbup:

I have four shafts with that exact pilot and insert. I think it is unlikely to be reworked and end up exactly like the four I have. Seriously, they are exact I think. One of them is fairly dirty with an ivory ferrule. The others have the same ferrule, some type of "fiber ferrule", one looks hardly used and two moderately used. Quite a mix...and I assure you they all have exactly the same pilot and insert as the OP.

Ideologist knows more than me about it though.

I wonder if it may simply not be the original shaft, maybe a later replacement?

I'll see if I can get a pic of mine for comparison.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting.

Really cool cue. :thumbup:

I have four shafts with that exact pilot and insert. I think it is unlikely to be reworked and end up exactly like the four I have. Seriously, they are exact I think. One of them is fairly dirty with an ivory ferrule. The others have the same ferrule, some type of "fiber ferrule", one looks hardly used and two moderately used. Quite a mix...and I assure you they all have exactly the same pilot and insert as the OP.

Ideologist knows more than me about it though.

I wonder if it may simply not be the original shaft, maybe a later replacement?

I'll see if I can get a pic of mine for comparison.

Yes, see if you can post some pics of yours. I need to clean the ferrule on this one. It's too dirty to see what is made of.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
From the pictures it appears that the wood on the pilot has been relatively freshly cut and has little or no yellowing from age like the rest of the cue.no patina if you will, the pilot is also unusually long, It is possible that someone took a nice old shaft and had it matched to a nice old butt. I would not be surprised if they are from two different cues.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the pictures it appears that the wood on the pilot has been relatively freshly cut and has little or no yellowing from age like the rest of the cue.no patina if you will, the pilot is also unusually long, It is possible that someone took a nice old shaft and had it matched to a nice old butt. I would not be surprised if they are from two different cues.

I wouldn't rule it out, although the insert has the same patina as the cue. I would have expected it to get cleaned up in the process. Did Brunswick make wrapless "professionals" or do you think it is a conversion?