UP (game)

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Up is not as difficult as Straight Pool but it's not easy.

UP (game)

A 2,3 or 4 player game that pockets balls having "any" higher number than your previous ball.

~ Rack: 15 balls rack with the... 1 on the foot spot... 2 and 3 on the corners...15 in the center.

~ Break: The opening break for each rack requires at least four balls to contact the cushions.
Any racked ball that pockets on the break becomes the starting ball, and scores the first point.

If 2 balls are pocketed on the break, both balls score points, and the higher ball number starts.
If no break ball pockets, the incoming player starts the game by pocketing any ball for a point.

~ Game play: After the starting ball, each ball has higher (Up) numbers or has lower numbers.
Players must contact any higher Up ball numbers than their previous ball. (No numerical order)

All UP number balls can be used for combinations or caroms to pocket "any ball" on the table.

Until the highest ball pockets, the cue ball must only contact Up number balls first, or it's a foul.

After the highest ball pockets, the lowest ball becomes the OB, and it must be contacted first.
( If the 15 & 14 are in a pocket, the 13 is highest... If the 1 & 2 are in a pocket, the 3 is lowest )

When the lowest ball is contacted, any ball that pockets scores a point, and the game resumes.

Once again the player pockets Up balls, with any higher number than the previous highest ball.
The players inning ends if he fails to pocket an Up ball, he commits a foul, or the CB scratches.

If a player misses, commits a foul, or scratches the incoming opponent has choices of any ball.
ALL INCOMING players can pocket ANY BALL but afterward must pocket balls as described.

~ Scoring: 1 point for each ball pocketed.. Ball contacts must be higher than each previous ball.
Lower number balls score, if pocketed on the same shot the CB first contacts a Up number ball.

~ Intragame racking: Players agree on the number of points to win. Play for a 'minimum' of 15
points. When the last ball in each rack pockets, the balls continually rack again, until the agreed
number of points is reached. The last player to score reracks the balls and breaks the next rack.

~ Spotting balls: Balls that pocket with a CB scratch spot on the foot spot, or close as possible.
Single balls first contacted by the CB, with any number lower than the previous ball will spot up.
(Exception: The lowest number ball becomes the OB immediately after the highest ball pockets)

~ Ball-In-Hand: BIH anywhere for 2 players.. Behind the head string for more than two players.
If any ball pockets with a CB scratch, that ball will spot up and the incoming player receives BIH.

When each player pockets his 1st ball, his UP ball run starts. Failure to contact a UP ball is BIH.
When the highest ball pockets, the lowest ball is your OB. Failure to contact the low ball is BIH.

Playing for 15 points it is possible, but unlikely, to win in one rack.. Handicap weaker players by
giving points. (example: Player A needs 15 points. Player B recieves 5 points & needs 10 to win)

(A playing hint: You should know the locations of the highest and lowest ball at all times)

Last edited:

LowRight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a good game. The only thing I don't like is the player who pockets the highest ball then has only the lowest ball as an object ball. After pocketing it, then the player has the normal option of playing higher balls than the next highest. Seems a bit unfair.

To fix this, I'd rename the game UP & DOWN and change this rule to once the player pockets the highest numbered ball, the same rules apply but in reverse order. Then the player could choose any ball on the table. Once that ball is pocketed the player may shoot at any ball that is lower until pocketing the lowest numbered ball. Then it would reverse direction again.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a good game. The only thing I don't like is the player who pockets the highest ball then has only the lowest ball as an object ball. After pocketing it, then the player has the normal option of playing higher balls than the next highest. Seems a bit unfair.

To fix this, I'd rename the game UP & DOWN and change this rule to once the player pockets the highest numbered ball, the same rules apply but in reverse order. Then the player could choose any ball on the table. Once that ball is pocketed the player may shoot at any ball that is lower until pocketing the lowest numbered ball. Then it would reverse direction again.

Ohhh I like the up and down. Like bracketing until the table is cleared. Ranger that.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

You need to play the game a few times. The highest ball can pocket anytime. When you can
get shape on the lowest from the high ball is the time to make it. A little strategy in play there.
Also as the balls open up you will find multiple balls to chose from. If there are 3 balls left you
can pocket the highest to get shape on the lowest, or pocket the lowest to get shape on either
of the other two, or you pocket the middle ball to get shape on the highest for the lowest ball.

Switching up and down would just add confusion to a simple game of strategy as in this game.
Play it to see why I wrote the rules this way. You never need to pocket balls in numerical order.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Ohhh I like the up and down. Like bracketing until the table is cleared. Ranger that.

Jazzy - Try the game both ways... I've tried it many times.
Up and down doesn't play that well, and it gets confusing.

UP is the only way to go... Ranger that.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Jazzy - Try the game both ways... I've tried it many times.
Up and down doesn't play that well, and it gets confusing.

UP is the only way to go... Ranger that.

There’s always an X factor between thoughts and real world application. I’ll check these games out though and see what’s up. I really like the general idea of the game, there’s a lot of different stuff to think about

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
There’s always an X factor between thoughts and real world application. I’ll check these games out though and see what’s up. I really like the general idea of the game, there’s a lot of different stuff to think about

Let me know what you think. Nothing is set in stone. Play well. Carl

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

Jazzy... Did you try it?