I am curious to see how people respond to this.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Not here to prove a point or Argue. I just want to see how people respond to this. I am going ask a non-specific and very general question:

In playing any format of Pool: Is it cheating to intentionally break the rules?

Trent from Toledo

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Not here to prove a point or Argue. I just want to see how people respond to this. I am going ask a non-specific and very general question:

Trent from Toledo
I'm pretty sure that's the definition of cheating

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
No, not in all caces!

randyg
To me, this question reminds me when people say that they personally never break the law, but if you ask them, they of course break the speed limit in their car all of the time.

Here's an example of not cheating, yet breaking the rules. Some tournaments say that you can't concede the last ball (or any balls) and if you do you lose the following game. But guys still do it and the opponent doesn't enforce the "rule". So are they cheating? I think not.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
To me, this question reminds me when people say that they personally never break the law, but if you ask them, they of course break the speed limit in their car all of the time.

Here's an example of not cheating, yet breaking the rules. Some tournaments say that you can't concede the last ball (or any balls) and if you do you lose the following game. But guys still do it and the opponent doesn't enforce the "rule". So are they cheating? I think not.

You got specific. I know its hard not to!!!

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many instances where rules are intentionally broken and a penalty is applied. Those occurrences are not cheating.

Last edited:

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Good question.

In some cases one could commit a foul on purpose for strategic reasons and they take the penalty, that's not cheating.
Other than that unless it is mutually agreed upon by all the parties playing the game (like a Mulligan in golf) I say, yes, it's cheating.
If the game is for money, prizes, or status/rating, then absolutely

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Trent from Toledo

Absolutely not.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree. The purpose of that rule is to prevent a player from sharking their opponent by conceding some game balls and not others. Under those rules, a player that concedes a ball then doesn't forfeit the following game is cheating. Personally, I think a better rule would be that if you concede a ball at any point during the match, you automatically concede all subsequent game balls during that match, no matter how difficult the shot.

To answer the original question, yes, the definition of cheating is breaking the rules. In cases where the rules specify a penalty for some action, performing that action is not considered cheating, but not applying the penalty is. Once you get beyond the rules into general pool etiquette and vaguely written tournament guidelines, I can see how there can be some confusion, but when it comes to following the rules of the game, it's pretty clear.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think cheating is where you're playing with people where everyone has agreed upon following a set of rules to establish fairness, and you don't.

Breaking the rules to me means you're not you're not committed to conform to any rules at all.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Trent from Toledo

I'm pretty sure that's the definition of cheating
I agree in general, but there are some very specific exceptions - like taking an intentional foul in one pocket.

Anything that could be called unsportsmanlike would qualify as cheating.

pj
chgo

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in league play many years ago. I snookered myself behind my ball. I had absolutely no shot but it was a perfect safety for my opponent. I asked for advice from one of my players which was a foul (loss of shot).

My opponent immediately called foul but then he went over and picked up the CB for BIH. I called a foul on him for touching the ball when it was simply a loss of shot.

They other team immediately pulled the rule book out but I was right. I ran out and won.

I guess I cheated for asking for advice but I didn't think he would foul by picking up the CB

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I agree in general, but there are some very specific exceptions - like taking an intentional foul in one pocket.

Anything that could be called unsportsmanlike would qualify as cheating.

pj
chgo

Deliberately fouling is not necessarily cheating, even at snooker.
....you accept the penalty.

Cheating?...pretty tough to put lipstick on that pig.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you are mixing up the definition of a "legal hit" and what it means to follow the rules. Making an illegal hit and applying the appropriate penalty is still following the rules, therefore it is not cheating. It's the same principle that applies to intentional fouls at the end of a basketball game: the team doing it isn't cheating, but they get penalized in the form of giving up free throw opportunities and having players foul out. Sometimes, it's still a viable strategy, despite those penalties.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Deliberately fouling is not necessarily cheating, even at snooker.
....you accept the penalty.

Cheating?...pretty tough to put lipstick on that pig.

Exactly. If I slam my cue on the table if I missed an easy shot, it could be considered unsportsmanlike conduct, but certainly not cheating.

The 8 ball is not neutral and thus are suppose to hit one of your balls first to avoid fouling. But, intentionally moving the 8 over to a cluster because you don't have a shot is not cheating, nor is it against the rules, it's just a foul, nothing more and nothing less.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in league play many years ago. I snookered myself behind my ball. I had absolutely no shot but it was a perfect safety for my opponent. I asked for advice from one of my players which was a foul (loss of shot).

My opponent immediately called foul but then he went over and picked up the CB for BIH. I called a foul on him for touching the ball when it was simply a loss of shot.

They other team immediately pulled the rule book out but I was right. I ran out and won.

I guess I cheated for asking for advice but I didn't think he would foul by picking up the CB
It would have been cheating to take advice from a teammate then continue to shoot. You didn't break any rules, but I would consider what you did unsportsmanlike since it violates the intent of a (poorly conceived) rule. Also, even if it was a legitimate use of that rule in your league, it was unsportsmanlike to take advantage of an obscure rules loophole without informing your opponent of what the penalty was.