Transporting a table

mthornto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I m transporting a 9 foot table to my home from about 2 hours away. The table is already broken down, I just have to load it up and drive it home. Not sure of the table make, I have just seen a 30 second blurry home video (long story). A Gold Crown looking style, may or may not be a gold crown, I will find out when I get there to pick it up.

Any how, I have a table mechanic I can get to help me break down my existing 8 foot table and set the new table up, but I need to transport it myself. The first big questions I have is what kind of vehicle should I use? I have a minivan and a pick up truck. With all the back seats out, the van has a lot of room. I believe the table will eaasily fit in the van, but I am worried about the weight. There is actually less room in the back of the truk, but weight would not be a problem. What do you guys think? Would the van or truck be ok, or sould I just break down and rent a u-haul?

Also, any tips for transporting the table?

nyneball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
table transport

Me and a friend broke down a Gold Crown III a couple of weeks ago and used his 3/4 ton pickup, 8' bed, with no problems. we loaded the slates first on pads, then the frame-upside down, the the pedestals-upside down and finally the rails that fit around everthing fine. all the rest, ball returns, skirts, ball rack etc went in the nooks and crannies available. We then delivered it about l 1/2 hours later. you need two guys for the slates unless its one piece and if thats the case youll need alot more.

SlateHumper

Pokin' and Hopin'
Silver Member
humping slate

The slates will weigh 200+ pounds EACH. The average weight of a complete decent quality table will be 1000 to 1200 pounds.
You can load the slates horizontally one right on top of the other
Make sure to remove ALL of the staples under the pockets on the slate framing as to not scratch the piece below it(assuming it's framed slate).
If you leave the frame assembled and the pick up bed is shorter than the frame, just close the tailgate first and let it hang out the back(on top of the tailgate) Get some moving pads/blankets and pad the finished pieces as to not scratch them up.

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slate humper is right.

There are times where we might have 3tables in the back of our box truck that we need to move to storage. But being 6am in the morning we'll be lazy and use an extended cab F-150. It can be easier lots of times. Of course we don't do it on cloudy/rainy days.

If you have glue on the slate from where they felted the slate. Then make sure you put peices of carboard between them or you'll never get them apart. DO NOT STAND ON TOP OF THE SLATE ONCE YOU DO THIS. It can cause it to snap.

SlateHumper

Pokin' and Hopin'
Silver Member
Huh?

NO DISRESPECT to smittie intended but I have been at this for +11 years and have NEVER snapped a piece of slate in said described manor. True glued slate can stick together. Easily prevented.