Finish

PocketPooler

Silver Member
Im sure this has been brought thousands of times, so I apologize in advance.

Im a few hours away from finishing my first cue, and my teacher uses polyurethane to finish his cues. I do not like the yellowing of poly. I want a clearcoat that isnt overly complicated for my level of building yet that has the clarity of a lacquer with the durability of a poly, or better. Im sure there are plenty of clear polys or the like, but which one(s) do you prefer or what are some pros and cons of some on the market?

Thanks.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member

Im a few hours away from finishing my first cue, and my teacher uses polyurethane to finish his cues. I do not like the yellowing of poly. I want a clearcoat that isnt overly complicated for my level of building yet that has the clarity of a lacquer with the durability of a poly, or better. Im sure there are plenty of clear polys or the like, but which one(s) do you prefer or what are some pros and cons of some on the market?

Thanks.
I am pretty new to making cues . and have been using west system 105/ 207 epoxy
There are issues temp controlled room , dust issues and the piece needs to turn for hours .
Getting the bubbles out .

I think allot of cue makers are switching to Solaerz UV finish , I know I am

PocketPooler

Silver Member
There are issues temp controlled room , dust issues and the piece needs to turn for hours .

Cool thank you

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Good luck with that nasty smelling toxic fume.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I`m a novice when it comes to finishing, so I would love to hear from more experienced cue makers.
I have had good success with B.S.I finish cure and U-pol S2085 acrylic clear.
I spray with a A.N.I R150 gun (0.8 nozzle)
I use 3M products for polishing.
A spray booth with good lightin and ventilation, for a dust free enviroment is next on my list.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member

Thanks.

Most polyurethane clear coats today have a U/V inhibitor and yellowing is not something you need to worry about.

IMO most people who don't spay on a finish don't want to invest the money in a booth set up with 12" piping, explosion proof fans, multiple spin fixtures with variable DC controllers, temperature controlled environment ect. $ 3500.00 and up.

That being said a few of my friends have started to use Soloraz and like it. It seems to be very good but let's see how the cue looks in a few years. That's how you have to judge a system overall.

There are a ton of procedure details on any clear coat application. Find the one that works for you with your own two eyes looking down the road.

Rick