First Build

PocketPooler

Silver Member
My first build is almost finished. Nothin fancy, still learning.

Attachments

• 20161024_140015_HDR.jpg
    20161024_140015_HDR.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 818
  • 20161024_143900_HDR.jpg
    20161024_143900_HDR.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 805

PocketPooler

Silver Member
Looks nice. Bubinga and curly maple?

Not sure about the bubinga; i kinda thought so too. Was a piece laying around. Smelt spicey, maybe even hint of a cinnamon smell when cutting. Was told it was ziricote but i knew better than that so just left it as "ziricote." love to know what it is for sure.

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Silver Member
Not sure about the bubinga; i kinda thought so too. Was a piece laying around. Smelt spicey, maybe even hint of a cinnamon smell when cutting. Was told it was ziricote but i knew better than that so just left it as "ziricote." love to know what it is for sure.

Sounds like blood wood. Nice first cue!

PocketPooler

Silver Member
Nice looking stuff out of the pocket ,, is this a full cord cue sleved over cue or spliced

Tenon and 3/8-10 connecting screws from handle into forearm and buttcap. Thats it. Not cored, but going to be pretty light. With 2 oz weight in the ass, itll be around 18-18.5

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fancy for first cue, but not too fancy. I am sure as you go along you'll settle on certain types of construction you prefer.

Nice looking. Nice woods.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like it, very clean work and nice design.

My son's cue is zircotte and maple, will have to compare to your wood.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Very nice, how many hours have you put in thus far?

That curly maple handle is beauty! Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PocketPooler

Silver Member
Very nice, how many hours have you put in thus far?

That curly maple handle is beauty! Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Prolly 15-20 hours. The inlays took forever. Originally going to be diamonds on the butt but the damn router slipped on me hogging it out, so I fixed it by using ovals. Glad i did. Then getting ready to glue them, i couldnt find the damn points so i redid those. After the glueing cured, i found the points when getting my butt cap ready. Its been a bit of an ordeal (ROOKIES!).

I think if i took actual work time, i could get it now in prolly 8-10, knowing the processes better and what i could be working on while it's tapering and what not. Overall, i enjoyed it more than playing. Ebony and birdseye sneaky is going to be my next. Using a blank for my first sneaky and may play with some fancy veneer ring work. Next sneaky im going to attempt to full splice myself if i can get it figured out with a band saw. I hate bothering others for help and my options fairly limited.

Heres the original designs. Not too far off

Attachments

• Curly Ziricote.jpg
    Curly Ziricote.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Ebony,BEM; Blue Fade Rings in White.jpg
    Ebony,BEM; Blue Fade Rings in White.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 152

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jesus, without knowing what kind of wood you are working with, i hope you have good ventilation and respiratory protection.
People get seriously ill or die from inhalation of some woods.
Nice work, though. Id be proud too!

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jesus, without knowing what kind of wood you are working with, i hope you have good ventilation and respiratory protection.
People get seriously ill or die from inhalation of some woods.
Nice work, though. Id be proud too!

First thing I thought also.

Caution to anyone working wood,know the hazards of what you are working with. Protect yourself from the chemicals also.