What is a "player"?

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roadkill said:
It's pronounced "PLAYA" and it refers to anyone who can juggle two (or more) girlfriends at the same time without either girl(s) discovering the other.

Right, people need to get out of the pool hall and see that bright circle up in the sky called "The Sun".

Here is the Def. of true Playa;
sucka_back_2.jpg

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
BillPorter said:
In my experience, a "player," in the pool world, is someone who "can play." As in, "don't take this guy lightly, he can PLAY." I suppose the opposite of a "player" is a "sucker." A "player" may not be pro speed, but he or she won't mess up a straightforward run out very often and can be counted on to make good decisions at the table. I can't imagine anyone at the B level or lower being called "a player." All this is just from my experience and others may have a different take.

Bill, that makes a lot of sense. I've heard one or another fellow refer to himself as a player, while giving advise to someone just beaten. In those cases, the "player" is letting the other person know they don't have a chance against them if they always try to run out and don't play smart against them. Hence, there is a certain confidence in their game being asserted. Most good players won't talk about themselves in this way, but some of them probably can't resist. When I see that behavior, it's a signal to me that this person is someone to be beaten, as they certainly take themselves seriously on the pool table, and they might be frustrated by clever safeties that can slow down their run out game. Important information to have...

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Southpaw said:
I think a "Player" is someone that has a legitimate shot at winning every time they play...whether its tourney or gambling. JMO.

Southpaw <---------NOT a Player:sorry:

Southpaw, false humility will get you nowhere! :D

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
bigshooter said:
Likely depends on the person using the phrase, to a non-player a D-player would be a "player" to an A-player a D-player would be 'the rent'

"The rent" huh.... that's a classic.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
Ron Jeremy is my hero. He's a player, just above short-stop speed.

He's the only guy who can "force follow" from the other side of the room.
Dave

Dave, what kind of "force follow" are you referring to?

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Hail Mary Shot said:
anyone who graduated from ball-banging is considered as a player. the A-D ranking is a tool used to determine the skill level of the player.

Of course, ball-banging is a relative term. There are obvious bangers, but aren't there also those who are bangers but can play a little? Would top pros consider people who don't play in open tournaments or for big stakes to be bangers?

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
hang-the-9 said:
When I say "player" I don't only mean high skill but also being a student of the game. Someone that can talk about different cues, tables, pro players, knows what a spot is, knows about position, things like that. He may not be able to play very well, but he is definatly not a "banger".

Gotcha. Very helpful... :smile:

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Neil said:
I feel that it can mean several different things, depending on how it's used. It can also mean someone who is willing to bet a little.

You've piqued my interest, Neil. What are some of those several different things to which you refer?

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Player

is someone that is rated at least a 7 (B to B+), who has been around quite a bit, and who gambles. Players have gambled for $500 a set or more usually in the past.

Ball bangers that graduate are NOT players, they are 'shooters', that's all.

Think of it this way, anyone that starts 'coughing' when asked to play for $20 a game is NOT a player.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
Think of it this way, anyone that starts 'coughing' when asked to play for $20 a game is NOT a player.

Damn, not everybody who is a strong player gambles, you know?

Oh well, if that's what it's all about to you, then great.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Like Crawfish said, serious players B or higher that play for money mostly. In some rooms it just means someone that won't tear up the table. Johnnyt

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
player means diff things to diff people

to me, whether it's pool, golf, darts, bowling, hop scotch, or WTF-ever, it is somebody that knows how to win. Someone that doesn't mind playing a little "ugly" before the game gets close to the finish line - but once in the home stretch - he can consistently perform at a personal high level. The player is seasoned, knows the ropes, is cool down the stretch, and you better know your sh*t and be on your toes if you're gonna see him pull out his wallet!