Who does the best cork wrap?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guido Orlandi 906-542-7069

I poo-pooed a cork wrap for the longest... then I met Guido & he changed my mind. What a wonderful substance to wrap a cue with..

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
KJ can. He uses and sells the odd cork wrap. I bought a few. They are considerably thicker than what some are using and have a bit of rubberized reinforcement in it, very pliable. When I got my order from KJ, he included a normal cork wrap so I could make a comparison. well, there is no comparison.

You'd have to be so very careful as the thinner ones can tear on you so fast. I wouldn't like working with them, I know that much.

Even if he can't do one for you, he may sell you one of his if he has extras at the moment. They are the only ones that I would buy.

Ryan, Mr. Rat Cue could also be considered as he is good with cork wraps and has
fast turn around time.

There are also lots of guys who have great reps for wraps that can do a cork for you as well.

I tried dyeing one black with India ink to see how it would look. The rubberized parts of the wrap didn't take like the cork did so it looked spotty.

Kind of a shame, if cork could be dyed like stack wraps it would allow some options.

Maybe there is another way. Different dye perhaps?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hav seen many variations of brown and black.

We know you want a pink one.

Cork is hot!
KJ can. He uses and sells the odd cork wrap. I bought a few. They are considerably thicker than what some are using and have a bit of rubberized reinforcement in it, very pliable. When I got my order from KJ, he included a normal cork wrap so I could make a comparison. well, there is no comparison.

You'd have to be so very careful as the thinner ones can tear on you so fast. I wouldn't like working with them, I know that much.

Even if he can't do one for you, he may sell you one of his if he has extras at the moment. They are the only ones that I would buy.

Ryan, Mr. Rat Cue could also be considered as he is good with cork wraps and has
fast turn around time.

There are also lots of guys who have great reps for wraps that can do a cork for you as well.

I tried dyeing one black with India ink to see how it would look. The rubberized parts of the wrap didn't take like the cork did so it looked spotty.

Kind of a shame, if cork could be dyed like stack wraps it would allow some options.

Maybe there is another way. Different dye perhaps?

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who does the best cork wrap?

Ned Morris, Paul Drexler and Ryan Theewen are the best I've seen but I do know there are many other cuemakers and cue repairmen that can do cork/ rubber well. The cork/ rubber that is precision split to about the thickness of linen works perfectly and doesn't require massive sanding at the ends of the wrap channel near the finish of your cue as the thick stuff does. Cork/ rubber is one of the nicest feeling wraps there is but it doesn't look good with all cues. Good luck. Martin

ICue71

Banned
Ernie of course and RAT, if you don't live near Ernie in CA I would suggest Ryan, he is great affordable and has good turn around time.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a cue from Guido way back in the early 90's with a cork wrap and I swear that with the naked eye you could not see a seam. A friend of mine had him cork wrap several of his cues and they were beautiful. This was when he was in Calif. I personally really like the feel of a cork wrap but Martin is right it is not necessarily the right wrap for all cues.

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
McDermott Actually.

The first time that I was exposed to a cork wrap was when I met Bert Schrager when he met me driving thru my hometown. He showed a cue he built that included a cork wrap, and I thought it was a very unique feeling wrap.

McDermott cues offers cork wraps as an option. Its not advertised, but I sold several McDermott cues over the years where the shop I worked for ordered cork wraps on selected cues. Each cork wrap was very well done. And each cue sold pretty quickly compared to other cue models we would stock.