Cue building classes?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Where did anyone say you shouldn't learn to use your machinery? It's hard to imagine that anyone could possibly read what I wrote and come away with this.

Didn't you?
You said it would have been a waste for you to buy and learn the use and setup of metal lathes.
It takes years to season shafts. Years to season some woods like ebony.
What's the hurry?
You built a cue after a month?

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did.

Dick

Well just to clarify then, I was talking about "setup" in the sense of a beginner like me taking a lathe designed for metal work and setting it up to do cue work, vs using a lathe already setup for cue work. It was excellent advice that I was given time and time again, I took it, and from a beginner stand point I'm happy to up and running learning how to build cues, which was the the whole point when I started this. I thought another beginner might like to hear what the experience of another beginner is. I know I would have found that very helpful for me a few months ago.

I obviously don't think it's a waste of time to learn how to setup (leveling, alignment, etc) and use your machinery. That's like learning how to sharpen chisels. It's a gateway skill and essential to progressing past a level were frustration and poor results just makes you want to quit.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well just to clarify then, I was talking about "setup" in the sense of a beginner like me taking a lathe designed for metal work and setting it up to do cue work, vs using a lathe already setup for cue work. It was excellent advice that I was given time and time again, I took it, and from a beginner stand point I'm happy to up and running learning how to build cues, which was the the whole point when I started this. I thought another beginner might like to hear what the experience of another beginner is. I know I would have found that very helpful for me a few months ago.

I obviously don't think it's a waste of time to learn how to setup (leveling, alignment, etc) and use your machinery. That's like learning how to sharpen chisels. It's a gateway skill and essential to progressing past a level were frustration and poor results just makes you want to quit.

Amen

Dick

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't you?
You said it would have been a waste for you to buy and learn the use and setup of metal lathes.
It takes years to season shafts. Years to season some woods like ebony.
What's the hurry?
You built a cue after a month?

I don't know how this thread has suddenly become about me, but yes I did do that. I know...It's going to warp/crack/explode/implode/whatever. I don't see that as a problem. I "wasted" a few bucks worth of wood, but I got through all of the steps once, gained some confidence using the lathe, made some mistakes that I know I need to look for next time, worked my way through a lot of setup issues, and generally gained some experience so as I start processing wood on a proper schedule I don't get 2 months into it and realize that I messed up on day one and have to start all over. I also wasted a bunch of tips and ferrule material....and some more maple was a casualty too...but I'm getting decent at doing ferrules and tips, so it's all good. I see it as the cost of learning, and it's a pretty cheap education as educations go.

It's the same exact advice I give people learning how to build guitars. Get through the first one, finish it, don't sweat the details...just plod on and finish it so you see it all once. Then regroup and build something better. I took my own advice, and I'm glad I did. I'm probably going to keep practicing and building until I get it right. I don't know how else to get good at it other than learning about it as best I can, and then actually doing it over and over until I'm good at it.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Start collecting old house cues, I have probably 100+. You can do a lot of experimenting and building with house cues. Shafts, forearms, handles etc. They are a great source of seasoned wood. This will allow you to start building while you let your newly acquired wood age. I also suggest not turning all your exotics round, some of it will sit for years to come and you don't know exactly how you will be using it until you get a sound plan for a cue design. A 18" turning square can be used for points, inlay slabs a forearm and butt sleeve or handle. Just some food for thought.

CroweCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thomas Wayne once said if you spend 10k(that's what it was I think) he'd teach you for free. Things have changed in his life since then though...

actually, it was 30k and he would teach you everything you needed to know. Not one person has yet to do it.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
30K would have been worth it before the ivory ban and recession in Japan.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, but can be just drop in the bucket for some. Depending on what equipment you go with, it can get costly very, very fast.
I think that all said and done with upgraded Acorn main board, Clearpath servos, Sherline shaft spinner, Harmonic drive rotary axis, Spinogy 30.000 RPM spindle, new bed and a lot of other small stuff, the CNC itself came in at about 11K, so I can easily see someone spending 30K on setting up a shop. I think all considered I'm at around 70K now...

slim123

Too bad "$2000 and you make me breakfast and you can have a cue in twelve weeks" isn't still available!! I've considered calling and asking for the cat to see if he will personally invite me, but I don't cook and don't eat breakfast for lunch. I'll get my hands on one someday Mr Dieckman, but if you still only need 2k, I'll pack my bags, too bad I can't find the video!!
I do have all of Dennis Deckmans videos, i met with him years ago, he is hoot. then i met Leonard, he showed me a bit. however cuemaking has evolved into a whole different animal since those days about. 20 years ago, time goes fast.

Contact John at Coos cues, here or facebook, he is a real person and will share a little , he is in Oregon and probably not too far from you

And about the basement, not a good place to make cues, because your dust in micro scopic levels will go throughout the house and may cause health issues with everyone there. Plus, unless you think you are the hulk , those big lathes weigh between 750 and 1000 or better, getting them in the basement will be an event, not a chore

Last edited:

slim123

I can share some of what I have learned.
First of all: It`s expensive to get the machinery needed to build cues, event quite basic ones.

Secondly: You need a dedicated space, prefreably on the ground floor or somwhere you easily can get heavy stuff like lathes in and out.

Thirdly: It`s messy work, make sure you have airfilters, a good shop vac and personal protection such as a respiratory mask, latex gloves, eyewear and hearing protection.

Assuming you have the space, you can get a good 12"x36" or 13"x40" metal lathe for a reasonable price (around $4000)
Apart from needing a rear chuck, something like a Grizzly 12"x36" is good to go right out of the box, sure you will need to tweak it and dial it in, but it`s accurate enough for the job as it is.
You will need a solution for doing tapers. This can be done on the lathe or on a separate lathe, expect prices to start at around $1000 for that.
Then it`s the "hidden" costs, you will need taps, carbide drill bit and reamers, demning drill bits, measuring equipment, gauge pins, indexable cutting tools, solid carbide boring bars for detail work. You can spring for a BXA quick change toolpost right away, you need a router or two. A Kress is about $300-400 and you will need to make or have made mounting brackets.
Then you need all kinds of glue, epoxy, oils etc.
You will need the cue hardware like joint pins etc.
You will need a compressor and a HVLP spray system.
And you will need a bit of wood to get you going.

Broken down it looks like this:
Lathe - $4000
Tapering setup - $1000-3000
Misc. machinery like bandsaw, buffingwheel etc - $2000-up
Compressor and spray system - $500-up
Misc tools - $1500-up
Cue hardware - $1500-up
Wood - $1000-up

So with a conservative estimate, the startup costs is about $10.000, much likely alot more...

As for cue bulding classes, I have read about cuemakers offering courses, not sure if any one still does this though...
But the point is, you don`t need a cue building class. You can take a course or two in machining and operating a lathe, because that`s what cuemaking really is...

It`s great fun, somewhat frustrating, always challenging and quite expensive as a hobby, but if you have a market around you for repairs and such, you will likely break even after a few years if you work hard at it and don`t bite over more than you can chew.
Very on the spot , every time i need a tap, or drill bit live center etc 40 a pop it nevrr ends

We all do this because we love it, and I myself never try to get even, because i don't ever see it happening, but once you have everythign in place, then you can run with it

Welcome to the rabbit hole

Hard Knock Cues

G
Very on the spot , every time i need a tap, or drill bit live center etc 40 a pop it nevrr ends

We all do this because we love it, and I myself never try to get even, because i don't ever see it happening, but once you have everythign in place, then you can run with it

Welcome to the rabbit hole
Great thread revived from 2016, I was 10k in 4 years ago. Stopped keeping track. Hopefully when my daughter is done with college I can afford to be more full time with the cue making and leave most of the construction work behind. Of course I'll have to do some handyman work to make ends meet, but I like doing the cue thing and hope some day to be good enough to make a living or at least retirement income.