REVO Shaft Doubters, Got A Story For You

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy hell, talk about beating a dead horse...

What more is there to talk about? They play great, some people like them, some people don’t. I’m sorry but this is has become redundant.

Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a f*ck...

ya well how many players going for a green jacket are doing so with a wood wood best I can tell is zero , there is zero doubt in my mind wood shafts are going the same eventually

Last edited:

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What more is there to talk about? They play great, some people like them, some people don’t. I’m sorry but this is has become redundant.

If it's "redundant" to YOU then just ignore the thread.
There's no rule that says you must reply.
For example, from now on you could ignore all threads that have the word Revo in the subject lines.
I know, I know...it's incredibly complicated but if you go slowly, one thread at a time, you might learn that you don't have to reply or even read these threads.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ironic that he has a dent-proof shaft but delivers dented cues.

LOL!

Yeah.

And beating a cue against anything seems to be a dramatic demonstration of nothing.

I only care how it plays.

Did the cue maker try that with one of his finished butts? Without a data comparison it seems to be without merit.

eddie8842

getcha some of that
Silver Member
There are tons of the "nothing but old this and old that maple for me" that I beat so bad I feel guilty after we play.

And I do it with the very cue "all" of them hate on and say that it's overrated......etc.....as their paying off.

One of them plays with a black boar with a searing shaft and he says my revo cue is over priced and underperformed.....lol....

Again....as he is paying off,

Rake

well I guarantee you it's not the shaft or the cue

I beat people and their revo shafts with the cheapest lucky brand cue I could find, $45

and before it was with an action cue with music note decals on it that i got for $30, came with a case, box of chalk and chalk holder

people laugh at those cues, especially the action cause it looks like a kids cue, but then they lose and are kinda pissed

but i've also been beat by players using crooked house cues, so it's not the revo, or the southwest, or the $8000 custom, it's the person wielding it

JC

Coos Cues
There are tons of the "nothing but old this and old that maple for me" that I beat so bad I feel guilty after we play.

And I do it with the very cue "all" of them hate on and say that it's overrated......etc.....as their paying off.

One of them plays with a black boar with a searing shaft and he says my revo cue is over priced and underperformed.....lol....

Again....as he is paying off,

Rake

No one who I can defeat regularly will start winning regularly because of any equipment they acquire. What a ridiculous premise.

If you are beating these guys with your gimmick shaft you could do it before.

JC

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carbon fiber tubes are very strong, but don't be fooled into thinking they are unbreakable. Banging on a cue ball is pretty dumb. That kind of force could have easily broke it in half.

Last edited:

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I believe the quote is; Gold Jacket Green Jacket, who gives a sh_t, but that might be the TV Prime Time version. Brian.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well I guarantee you it's not the shaft or the cue

I beat people and their revo shafts with the cheapest lucky brand cue I could find, $45

and before it was with an action cue with music note decals on it that i got for $30, came with a case, box of chalk and chalk holder

people laugh at those cues, especially the action cause it looks like a kids cue, but then they lose and are kinda pissed

but i've also been beat by players using crooked house cues, so it's not the revo, or the southwest, or the $8000 custom, it's the person wielding it

Understood. Same here in the past.

I'm not saying the revo is why I beat them I am saying I beat them worse when using the revo since I don't get out of line as much due to being able to hit closer to center ball and still move the same distance as before......or at least that is my experience.

Rake

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
So you're ordering a shaft so you can wail on pool balls with no ill effect? I just wouldn't wail on pool balls with my shaft. My wood shafts are straight, dent free with not a mark on them, I'm not an Idiot either. Flame away, Brian.

Wow, maybe try decaf Brian, seriously. Interesting you felt the need to go proactive with the proclamation that you're not an idiot.
I can only speak for me, but I'm not accusing you of being an idiot.

To answer your question, and the question of some others, no, I'm not persuaded to purchase a cue shaft because "I can wail on pool balls with no ill effect"
I don't know how or why you came to that conclusion.

I decided to purchase a REVO shaft because the cue maker in question said it was the best damn shaft available.
I respect his opinion because he knows way more about cue performance than anyone else I know, especially me.
That's not just my opinion, but the opinion of many who know him. His reputation and renowned international status, for me, says a lot.
The structural integrity of the composition of the shaft speaks volumes to me about other things.
The no dent thing is just one small example of that. I suppose there's more, but I feel I've explained myself in a satisfactory manner.
I don't believe a Revo shaft will allow me to all of a sudden bust out a 5 pack.
In all endeavors I take as seriously as I take Pool, I try to purchase the best gear available that's within my means. A Revo shaft or 2 are well within my means.

To those who disagree with my perspective; you're absolutely entitled to your opinion.
I have no need to have others be like me or see things the way I see them.
The world has 1 of me which is probably a little too much on the best of days, lol.
I just wanted to share my experience and what I thought was a funny story.
If it was unappreciated by some, I guess I just relearned you can't please all the people all of the time. Oh well. -Z-

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one who I can defeat regularly will start winning regularly because of any equipment they acquire. What a ridiculous premise.

If you are beating these guys with your gimmick shaft you could do it before.

JC

First off, I never said it was because of the revo. I can beat most of them with a damn broom.

Also, it plays extremely good to be a gimmick.

I've paid way more for cues from super high-end makers that don't play as good as this revo. He'll, most of them perform like chit compared to it.

Now, if we're talking about "feel".......well, yes pretty much every high-end cue I had "felt" great but feel and actual performance are not linear with pool cues.

If memory serves, you are a cue maker or a seller. If so, don't take what I said as offenensive. I really love the most any quality made custom cue feels and enjoy hitting with them but that does not change the fact I a little better with the gimmick than I do with the others.

It's not a huge difference between the revo and most high end cues but that small difference matters a lot when I'm facing another player like myself that can string racks. It's then, that feel, looks....etc...etc...mean squat because if I miss a shot or my safety is not a lock I'm sitting for several racks, if not the entire match.

Rake

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is a funny story.

It reminds me of those old Ginsu knife commercials in the 1980's where they hammered on the knife.

https://youtu.be/6wzULnlHr8w?t=34

I had a friend back then. Hugh Bartrug, he made Ashley Forge knives. Real damascus custom knives, some selling for tens of thousands. Made the cover of Blade magazine in the 90's and knife maker of the year.

He had a stroke. Me and a bunch of other guys helped put an elevator in his house. He has since passed.

I used to hang around his forge. Learned a lot. I remember a guy brought a Ginsu once as a joke. Hugh made all his wife's kitchen knives. He was a serious metallurgy expert as well as a trained blacksmith.

He put the knife through the paces and compared it with his knives for us. His knives beat the Ginsu easily.

Ultimately he laughed about the whole hammering on the handle thing in the commercials and tossed the knife in the forge...he said "Let's see how it does in there."

Yes, dramatic demonstrations are funny. :grin:

Does the Revo come with a matching fork and 6 in 1 kitchen tool? :wink::grin::thumbup:

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, maybe try decaf Brian, seriously. Interesting you felt the need to go proactive with the proclamation that you're not an idiot.
I can only speak for me, but I'm not accusing you of being an idiot.

To answer your question, and the question of some others, no, I'm not persuaded to purchase a cue shaft because "I can wail on pool balls with no ill effect"
I don't know how or why you came to that conclusion.

I decided to purchase a REVO shaft because the cue maker in question said it was the best damn shaft available.
I respect his opinion because he knows way more about cue performance than anyone else I know, especially me.
That's not just my opinion, but the opinion of many who know him. His reputation and renowned international status, for me, says a lot.
The structural integrity of the composition of the shaft speaks volumes to me about other things.
The no dent thing is just one small example of that. I suppose there's more, but I feel I've explained myself in a satisfactory manner.
I don't believe a Revo shaft will allow me to all of a sudden bust out a 5 pack.
In all endeavors I take as seriously as I take Pool, I try to purchase the best gear available that's within my means. A Revo shaft or 2 are well within my means.

To those who disagree with my perspective; you're absolutely entitled to your opinion.
I have no need to have others be like me or see things the way I see them.
The world has 1 of me which is probably a little too much on the best of days, lol.
If it was unappreciated by some, I guess I just relearned you can't please all the people all of the time. Oh well. -Z-

Quote in your original post where you commented on the playability of the shaft. I'll save you the time, you didn't. The only reference you made about the shaft was it's durability and the fact a Cue Maker you admire said it was a great shaft. Well the fact that you can beat a pool ball with it means nothing to me as I don't beat pool balls with my shaft. I also don't care if your Cue Maker likes it or not, the only persons opinion that means anything to me is MINE. I like a bunch of stuff that other people don't like, Brussel Sprouts and Kale Salad to name one and like a bunch of stuff that I'm sure other people like, Boobs for example, but when it come to my Pool equipment I'll decide for myself. For the record, I've been able to shoot with a Revo shaft, extensively, right when they were introduced. I liked it, I'm just not going to pay that much for a shaft, I'm a Dealer, and I don't believe I'd ever get over the color. Carry on, Brian.

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
is a bit soon to say.
Agree, carbon fiber fishing rods are notoriously known to break suddenly on a tiny previous fracture. Revo is far from indestructible in that respect, we just need to wait a couple of years to see.

gc3

Registered
Lol. I was trying to get over that busted shaft and then BAM!!! I see these photos. To be fair I'm pretty sure that shaft was destroyed in the postal system. No shaft would have survived.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Well, dymondwood cues ( resin impregnated wood ) beat Revo by over a decade if you like them dent free shafts.

Never mind that Balicini made graphite cues back then too. And they were actually pretty good and fairly cheap.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And beating a cue against anything seems to be a dramatic demonstration of nothing.

Wasnt there a cue maker that advertised how strong his joint was by straddling the cue atop 2 cinder blocks, and then standing on it? I also seem to remember another one who would ram a cue joint pin first into plywood to prove how strong his pin was.

Always reminded me of the krazy glue commercials with the construction worker. :thumbup:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP review aside John Schmidt is very happy with his new Revo (12.4 I believe), in past 2 weeks he had 4 300+ and about 15 other 200+ runs in 14.1 with Revo. On the other hand John is capable of running 100s even with hockey stick :rolleyes:

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Quote in your original post where you commented on the playability of the shaft. I'll save you the time, you didn't. The only reference you made about the shaft was it's durability and the fact a Cue Maker you admire said it was a great shaft. Well the fact that you can beat a pool ball with it means nothing to me as I don't beat pool balls with my shaft. I also don't care if your Cue Maker likes it or not, the only persons opinion that means anything to me is MINE. I like a bunch of stuff that other people don't like, Brussel Sprouts and Kale Salad to name one and like a bunch of stuff that I'm sure other people like, Boobs for example, but when it come to my Pool equipment I'll decide for myself. For the record, I've been able to shoot with a Revo shaft, extensively, right when they were introduced. I liked it, I'm just not going to pay that much for a shaft, I'm a Dealer, and I don't believe I'd ever get over the color. Carry on, Brian.

Brian, are you aware how angry you come off?
Why do you care what I think or why I think it?
No one in this thread, least of all me, has instructed you or told you to do anything, so why so argumentative & defensive?
There's an expression, don't sweat the small stuff. You may wish to try it out.
If you don't want to get a Revo shaft, good for you. Go with God. Best, -Z-

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
TRUE STORY:

I had occasion to be at a world renowned cue maker's shop in Marlborough, CT today.
I noticed he had a Revo shaft on his Pool table. I asked him if the jury was in yet on them. He picked it up, brought over a Pool ball, then wailed on the pool ball with the Revo several times like the ball owed him money. It was like a scene from Goodfellas.

Said cue maker then handed me the shaft and asked me to inspect it.
It was BE-YOND silky smooth. It was completely and totally unscathed.
Said cue maker then said it is without a doubt the most technologically advanced shaft on the market and nothing else comes close. He went on to elaborate. I've been a DJ and am a Therapist so a lot of his engineering type language was lost on me but it was clear to me he thought there's nothing on the planet that can rival it.

Guess what I'm ordering today? -Z-

Thanks, I will consider the Revo for all my equipment abusing needs. Might be a good self defense weapon, also.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP review aside John Schmidt is very happy with his new Revo (12.4 I believe), in past 2 weeks he had 4 300+ and about 15 other 200+ runs in 14.1 with Revo. On the other hand John is capable of running 100s even with hockey stick :rolleyes:

John used to shoot with a Z2 shaft years back, when I heard he was going with a Revo, I guessed predator made him an 11.75mm diameter. So color me shocked of he's playing with a 12.4mm and running 300+....Like you said, John can run racks with a hockey stick, but he always sounded like a creature of habit when it came to equipment.