Dress Codes for Pool

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone care about dress codes for pool or billiards (including snooker, carom, etc.)?

It occurred to me today, as I was in a very nice venue, which is part of a very nice restaurant, and I can imagine the contrast between the diners and the pool league guys; the former in jacket and tie, the latter in t-shirts, gym shorts, and ratty sneakers.

I understand that some tournaments have dress codes, ranging from golf attire to jacket and tie.

What do you guys think? Do you care if the crowd, or your opponent, dresses like a slob? Do you think a league would thrive, survive, with a dress code?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think some events are prestige and some are not. The defining factor is likely the choice of the promoter. Unless you’re talking about a Matchroom-caliber event, I don’t think it matters. I think being too informal may turn off a viewing audience and being too formal may turn off potential players. I expect most promoters are more concerned about getting a full field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many European countries have dresscode on official ranking and championship tournaments. Here in Finland we have dresscodes. A,B or C
Normally it is B
- good,clean shoes, normally leather.
- Trousers with press
- Shirt blouse.

It is essential if we want to promote our sport more(yes. It is sport around here.).

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many European countries have dresscode on official ranking and championship tournaments. Here in Finland we have dresscodes. A,B or C
Normally it is B
- good,clean shoes, normally leather.
- Trousers with press
- Shirt blouse.

It is essential if we want to promote our sport more(yes. It is sport around here.).

Interesting, thank you! Can you please say what A and C are, and for what occasions these apply?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I certainly do care

Carom and 3c

100f254a34b2d6c1643c3767710969a505672662.jpg.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-29-12-24-29-1.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-29-12-24-29-1.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
I was once asked to remove my hat when entering "Jillians" pool room. It`s a bar/restaurant type place just outside of Fenway Park in Boston. At first I thought it was because they had a dress code but, in hindsight, I was wearing a NY Yankees hat. :)

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was once asked to remove my hat when entering "Jillians" pool room. It`s a bar/restaurant type place just outside of Fenway Park in Boston. At first I thought it was because they had a dress code but, in hindsight, I was wearing a NY Yankees hat. :)
That's great, thank you! I've lived in the the Boston area for 37 years, but grew up in the Bronx, so yes, I get it. :)

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
In the old videos I've seen of Willie Mosconi he was always wearing a suit. Classy :cool:

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
Originally Posted by Mr Slate View Post
I was once asked to remove my hat when entering "Jillians" pool room. It`s a bar/restaurant type place just outside of Fenway Park in Boston. At first I thought it was because they had a dress code but, in hindsight, I was wearing a NY Yankees hat.

Nice twist :D:D

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't think collar (polo, shirt) and dark trousers is a big ask

no hats, flipflops or orange sneakers please. i don't mind sneakers in general, it's optimal for ergonomics and grip, but keep it low key..

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont care what anyone wears. I only ask that they are, quiet, respectful of others and act like an adult. Do all 3 of those and I wont even notice you.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Does anyone care about dress codes for pool or billiards (including snooker, carom, etc.)?

It occurred to me today, as I was in a very nice venue, which is part of a very nice restaurant, and I can imagine the contrast between the diners and the pool league guys; the former in jacket and tie, the latter in t-shirts, gym shorts, and ratty sneakers.

I understand that some tournaments have dress codes, ranging from golf attire to jacket and tie.

What do you guys think? Do you care if the crowd, or your opponent, dresses like a slob? Do you think a league would thrive, survive, with a dress code?
Am I the only one wondering why a place that has folks wearing jackets and ties to dinner is also hosting a pool league in the same venue?

As far as the question. Dress codes for amateur tournaments are dumb. Dress codes for professional/high profile events make more sense if sponsors are involved. Overall I don't think it's worth getting twisted over, and it's not the reason pool isn't big.

Any professional dress code should be sportswear/golf type shirts amd slacks. Nothing looks dumber than tuxes IMO.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont care what anyone wears. I only ask that they are, quiet, respectful of others and act like an adult. Do all 3 of those and I wont even notice you.

I don't care what anyone wears long as they keep raising the bet every time I win a set !!!!👍🏻💰💯🔥

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I the only one wondering why a place that has folks wearing jackets and ties to dinner is also hosting a pool league in the same venue?

As far as the question. Dress codes for amateur tournaments are dumb. Dress codes for professional/high profile events make more sense if sponsors are involved. Overall I don't think it's worth getting twisted over, and it's not the reason pool isn't big.

Any professional dress code should be sportswear/golf type shirts amd slacks. Nothing looks dumber than tuxes IMO.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yeah , smoking a cigarette , drinking beer 🍻 and wearing a tuxedo.... lol !!! Just bet high in your underwear who cares lol

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No.

People don't dress up for church or a funeral these days let alone pool leagues. It's come as you are and that's how they dress.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About dress codes in general, there are dress codes only because without them people would turn up in inappropriate attire. There's no accounting for taste, or sensibility, in my opinion. The way you present yourself is an indication of your respect for the event, the venue, and your hosts and fellow attendees.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad, with modern sport and casual attire, except there are always those who push it to an extreme. I've seen plumbers in their soiled work clothing 'socializing' in after work venues. I've seen folks in dirty and ripped jeans, torn T-shirts with vulgarities printed on them, and stinky old sneakers. Enough is enough!

For billiards, I imagine it depends on the venue. A bar, anything goes, ass long as it's not offensive, and even that is a low standard. But that's fine. A country club, upscale place, different. And a tournament, different still.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Gentlemanly behavior/ Manners more important than dress. Better to have a gentleman in an inappropriate attire than a jerk in a tuxedo :)

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dress codes are just another way for the man to keep us all down.
I think everyone should have to dress like Willie Dynamite when they are at the table.

It would be nice if people didn’t come dressed like Larry the cable guy or
some broke version of snoop dogg, but isn’t that kind of the beauty of a pool
room? It brings in such a wide variety of people. From the guy in a suit on his
lunch break to the guy who lives in the alley who came to play for his next fix
and everything in between.

Since the payouts for most pool tournaments pay the same or worse than they did
in the 80’s, who cares?
Willy_Dinamite_(1974).jpg

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I've long since accepted that this is a losing battle. It's not just a pool thing, it's air travel, restaurants...anywhere outside your house. I get that how you dress isn't as important as how you act but that doesn't mean that how you dress doesn't matter at all.

Again, I realize some will never come around and even take some bizarre pride in dressing poorly but I think I owe it to my fellow human beings to dress well just like I owe it to them to cut my lawn and not litter.

A decent pair of comfy leather shoes is no more expensive that goofy basketball shoes...face it, you haven't been on a court since 7th grade. Nice dark blue jeans are fine if you can't bring yourself to buy actual trousers. And a polo/golf shirt is 100 times more presentable than a Tshirt. I won't demand you tuck it in because I know some would find that too fancy and restrictive.

But sure, dress like a mental patient if it's the best you can do, people will pity you but probably won't say anything.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
jeans and a polo or button shirt is perfect

i like seeing them in the formal wear, but i DONT wear slacks