Bridge Hand Arthritis

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
I have something going on in the middle finger of my bridge hand. Seems to be arthritic. I just had an injection and am waiting to see how that takes hold. I am told that I have inflammation in the tendon/tendon sheath. It started almost exactly a year ago.
Bottom line is that a closed bridge is painful. Jump shots, although rare, are difficult.
Who has recommendations for treating this?

maplecap

Jack
Silver Member
Hopefully the injection will work. If you show signs of trigger finger(tendon sticking in the sheath) it may return, but there is a simple operation done called trigger release. I’ve had 5. All totally successful. I switched too an open bridge and have never looked back. The shots for me worked for 6 months at a time, but there is a limit to how many you can receive. The shot will make your hand feel normal again for sure, hopefully for good. Good Luck

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Open bridge. My fingers lock up feel like someone is standing on my hand. Easy does it. Our hands have to last a long time.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got some shit going on with both thumbs and I am not happy about it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190723-162541.jpg
    Screenshot_20190723-162541.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 302

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could you possibly cast or wire it to 1 decent shape? It wouldn't be ideal to have it stuck in 1 position, but 1 usable position is better than no usable positions.

If it's any sympathy, I love to cycle and now my left knee cannot take coming out of corners :-/, being forced to coast out of corners is almost soul crushing to me. But, still being able to cycle straight is still better than not at all.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully the injection will work. If you show signs of trigger finger(tendon sticking in the sheath) it may return, but there is a simple operation done called trigger release. I’ve had 5. All totally successful. I switched too an open bridge and have never looked back. The shots for me worked for 6 months at a time, but there is a limit to how many you can receive. The shot will make your hand feel normal again for sure, hopefully for good. Good Luck

I also had the surgery (‘trigger finger release’) successfully. Could play while it healed with an open bridge (but NOT guitar). Simple outpatient procedure, virtually painless.
Hopefully was the only tendon binding, but I DO get the occasional elect. shock when flexing my hand.

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Should have stayed in school.......

My 25 years of being a tile-setter have caught up with me recently as well. Same exact spot for my arthritis as BlackBalled. Had a cortisone shot in the joint 3 weeks ago and have had zero relief.:mad: Been trying different creams and some cbd products. Still experimenting with the anti inflammatory stuff as well. For now a closed bridge is out of the question unless I want to go through the roof. Next up is experimenting with the cannabis options for pain relief because my orthopedic surgeon wants me to take Tramadol or one of the other opioids, which I am not interested in. Any recommendations on cannabis products is welcome.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just had my first steroid injection in my left hand a week ago which is my bridge hand.
My pain physician said injections are limited to three (3) within a 12 month period.

Relief was immediate and flexibility restored pain free to my left thumb and I prefer to
use a closed bridge which was hurtful to do before the injection. The catch is it is a
5 ml injection that has to go between the joints and it is needed in two locations in my
thumb/pad. It is uncomfortable that turns into instant pain when the steroid gets actually
injected and it goes in slow. The whole deal takes under a minute but a good part is not
fun to experience. You can’t clench your fist either & have to keep your hand motionless.

Anyway, it works and do not massage your hand after the injection. You can softly rub it but
no massage of the affected area. My doctor said to allow the steroid to become absorbed and
massaging should be avoided for 10-12 hrs. Know what? It worked so good it wasn’t needed.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have something going on in the middle finger of my bridge hand. Seems to be arthritic. I just had an injection and am waiting to see how that takes hold. I am told that I have inflammation in the tendon/tendon sheath. It started almost exactly a year ago.
Bottom line is that a closed bridge is painful. Jump shots, although rare, are difficult.
Who has recommendations for treating this?

I have some of that.

I was at a tournament at Red Shoes up in Chicago a couple of years ago and had to play Piggy in the finals. After a full day of playing my bridge hand started to cramp up from my arthritis and, blessedly, Gail was there sweating it all. I walked up to her and told her my left hand was going and she immediately started to massage it and loosen it up.

I lost the match, Piggy totally at home on his home track, but it was a blessing to have Gail there to massage out the claw my bridge hand had turned into.

Lou Figueroa
old sucks
the alternative is worse

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Left Knee has been a problem for sometime now, and because of that my right hip has a problem also. Along with that my right shoulder Doc's wanted to do a complete rebuild and now my bones down from my neck are sore . There is a CBD oil that I take 2 times a day and have got to say it's worked great form my problems. Comes from Natures Outlet and is 15 mg bottles. That is the highest amount you can get there,,for me it's helped greatly,,hope it does for others as well.

shayne87

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Comfort Cool Thumb CMC Restriction Splint Thumb CMC Joint

This seems to be helping relieve pain in my thumb.

Can play with it on.

Attachments

• comfortcoolthumbcm_3a872_parent_174__1.jpg
    comfortcoolthumbcm_3a872_parent_174__1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 175