Why is 9 ball so popular?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You think 9 ball is more popular than 8 ball because it is easier?

I believe this to be true at the casual/friendly stages. Defense is a no brainer. The outs are not obstructed by irrelevant obstacles. The only difficulty might be the easiest problem to overcome; the stroke required to hit shots in excess of 3, 4 feet.

At more competitive levels this notion will be rendered moot.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So why is 9 ball the pro game of choice? What happened to 8 ball?

Thanks

It’s not,

This isn’t ‘American AZ Billiards’. Chinese 8 ball is the biggest and most organized pro billiard sport.

Also, more pros make a living from Snooker.

I've played pool in a lot of countries and the .uSA is the only one where 9 ball is popular. Pro pool in Britain is mostly Black ball. In my Canadian city...8 ball.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You think 9 ball is more popular than 8 ball because it is easier?

Absolutely 9 ball is a super quick game most racks under 2 minutes. Most Pros in a rack your own tournament with magic rack will run off 8 to 12 racks alot of times. Opponent just sits in chair. Yes it's more popular because it's easier if the popular games were the hard games everyone would be playing one pocket and straight pool which is not the case

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think these numbers are off a little.

Run out rate by Pros are probably 50% rack your own Magic Rack 9 ball.
You make one mistake in a set you still have a chance. If you make 2 mistakes. I our probably going to lose the set

Last edited:

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think 12-packs are relatively uncommon for nearly all pros.

Not when they are on. The,only reason they are uncommon is because they don't take chances with tough shots....and by tough i mean a shot they only make 75 perent of time. They play safe....and bury you. Get a pro playing lose with nothing,on the line running 8 to 12 racks ain't shit. Amature open players can put up 4 and 5 packs when they are on.

So what's the, runout rate? Either way yu make a mistake your done. 9 ball is the easiest quickest game period. And that why its popular

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Now let's pretend they played offense the whole time and there is your 50 percent. Pros can fart in five and six packs. Specially with magic rack. Like if you walked up to a pro in the pool hall. And asked him to run as many in a row as he can....all offense. I'd bet 75 percent of the time they'd put up a 7 or 8 pack.

Again they don't do it in tournament as often because they'd rather not take the 75 percent of the time make shot...and play safe and leave you with a 50 percent chance just to hit the ball and like a 5 or six percent chance,to make it. So yes with money involved the rates are lower. You get svb or Kaci zoned in on offence,playing loose. Runnout rates are over 50 percent easy

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Now let's pretend they played offense the whole time and there is your 50 percent. Pros can fart in five and six packs. Specially with magic rack. Like if you walked up to a pro in the pool hall. And asked him to run as many in a row as he can....all offense. I'd bet 75 percent of the time they'd put up a 7 or 8 pack.

Again they don't do it in tournament as often because they'd rather not take the 75 percent of the time make shot...and play safe and leave you with a 50 percent chance just to hit the ball and like a 5 or six percent chance,to make it. So yes with money involved the rates are lower. You get svb or Kaci zoned in on offence,playing loose. Runnout rates are over 50 percent easy

Its not exaggerated.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Along time ago before SVB was big known name....I watched him play a guy for thousands gambling. He did not miss for an hour and a half

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically paper stats don't tell the story.....for instance say you are a pro I'm an amateur. We are playing 9 ball for fun.

Now say you get to the table break and make three balls and have the five ball tied up with the seven. You get to the five ball and you kick the five out and bury me on the seven. On paper that's a miss shot. No break and run. But I'm burried. ....And miss my hit. Ball I hand to you. Wide open table. Now on paper that five ball is a miss for you. But in reality it was the game winner. That shot isn't a miss...it took your chances of winning the game, and tripled them.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob are you a solid player? Like master amature or above. I'd bet you can go home with a template rack and film yourself getting a 6 pack or better by tomarro