Carom Cue ID

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
So I just picked this up today and maybe you can help with the ID and age. My gut tells me it's an Adam. What do you think? There are no obvious logos on the cue and the butt cap is gone. I think it's suitable for a restoration project though, as the cue is in really good shape.

20200722_110558_resize_0.jpg

20200722_110610_resize_73.jpg

20200722_110619_resize_29.jpg

20200722_110629_resize_34.jpg

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lovely find

I've seen that white joint on an Adam, and the 1/2x10 wood pin also checks out.

What the heck is that between the white rings?

Very nice, certainly would put small $$ into it.

Could perhaps get joint protectors from Ron Kilby at caromcues.com.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
The silver rings in the butt are weights. 3 individual rings with different thickness. The part below the rings actually screws out. Making it a 3 piece cue.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’ve played in Korean carom rooms that had cues like that.
Not expensive

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice looking cue. anybody who played pool in the 1960s to early 70s would instantly recognize those as weight discs- almost all the import cues came with those discs. The first two piece cue I ever bought had those weight discs- The plastic sleeve the cue came in was my cue case!

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm interested in one thing, if you care to chime in to my thoughts - what exactly a cue builder would change for a game of carom as opposed to the game of billiards (9ball/8ball/10ball/14.1) etc, like I don't understand when I read somewhere a catagory that says "Carom cues" like whats the difference? aren't they just the same cue? and what do cue builders change for carom if anything?

thanks.

I'm just curious.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I'm interested in one thing, if you care to chime in to my thoughts - what exactly a cue builder would change for a game of carom as opposed to the game of billiards (9ball/8ball/10ball/14.1) etc, like I don't understand when I read somewhere a catagory that says "Carom cues" like whats the difference? aren't they just the same cue? and what do cue builders change for carom if anything?

thanks.

I'm just curious.

Stiffer, shorter shafts to hit heavier, larger Carom balls around. Different balance and specs

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
in general, shorter lighter thicker cues
conic tapers w smaller tips

generally

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yes, I imagine they squirt like a mother.

I had a typical European carom cue for years....55 inches, 18 ounces, 11,5 mm
The smaller tip handled the squirt well...I could play pool with it.

I eventually went to 57 inches, the length of my pool and snooker cues.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Mystery solved. It’s a Hiolle from France, not an Adam, and it’s over 50 years old. Wood is rosewood and maple

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Mystery solved. It’s a Hiolle from France, not an Adam, and it’s over 50 years old. Wood is rosewood and hornbeam. :thumbup:

How did you get the ID on it? There was a website for European billiard cues - not sure if he's still around.

By the way, the splice looks exactly like an Adam. Wonder if they worked with Hiolle?

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Mystery solved. It’s a Hiolle from France, not an Adam, and it’s over 50 years old. Wood is rosewood and hornbeam. :thumbup:

Prove it. That's Taiwan Orange and Blue. Adam or some other import until you bust out the Hiolle catalog. If they were even still making cues in the 70s, they were likely buying overseas blanks.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Prove it. That's Taiwan Orange and Blue. Adam or some other import until you bust out the Hiolle catalog. If they were even still making cues in the 70s, they were likely buying overseas blanks.

Calm down dude. I just saw this stamp on the forearm. There are no blue veneers.

20200825_192405_resize_56.jpg

Last edited:

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
How did you get the ID on it? There was a website for European billiard cues - not sure if he's still around.

By the way, the splice looks exactly like an Adam. Wonder if they worked with Hiolle?

I could be wrong. Just saw the Hiolle stamp on the forearm. I saw that website you mentioned and it says the stamp was used until 1970. I've emailed the guy to ask if he could identify it further. Let's see if he responds. Thanks for your constructive input.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I could be wrong. Just saw the Hiolle stamp on the forearm. I saw that website you mentioned and it says the stamp was used until 1970. I've emailed the guy to ask if he could identify it further. Let's see if he responds. Thanks for your constructive input.

I've communicated with him before, Guy Huybrech from Belgium - hope he's still around. He knew all kinds of information about European cues and was very helpful. I'm sure he will recognize it and give some information.

Last edited: