Cleaning your balls

jchown

Registered
Hey

Been a while since i gave my balls a good cleaning, what is the suggested method for a set of Centennials? I was reading that the dishwasher is a no go due to the harshness of the chemicals and the heat. I saw Aramith offers a cleaner and a polisher/conditioner. Would normal dish soap and warm water work ok or is the aramith product worth picking up?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy some Aramith polisher.......you can do clean and polish each ball by hand while watching tv.
Clean the ball’s first with soap & water scrubbing away any marks and then dry & polish the balls.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ball star has been worth its weight in gold!
Has a cleaner they sell as well...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dish soap is a nono, in my experience.

I ruined a set of mine, it was as if the soap took off the slick outer layer on the balls.

Aramith polisher only, for me.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
dish soap is a nono, in my experience.

I ruined a set of mine, it was as if the soap took off the slick outer layer on the balls.

Aramith polisher only, for me.

I have a new Tournament set coming tomorrow along with Aramith polish and plan to follow the directions to a T.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many times can this same thread topic question be asked / started over and over before people realize how to utilize the forum topic search feature?

Last edited:

cage121

But I've heard that washing balls in dishwasher is not as bad as you say. You can use Affresh Dishwasher Cleaner Tablets.. And choose the soft washing mode if it's possible. I have not tried this method but I think that it is workable.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But I've heard that washing balls in dishwasher is not as bad as you say. You can use Affresh Dishwasher Cleaner Tablets.. And choose the soft washing mode if it's possible. I have not tried this method but I think that it is workable.
I've read one can use vegetable oil instead of motor oil in an engine.

Carry on.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By hand.
One at a time.
Clean them with a dry cloth.
Apply a drop of Aramith ball cleaner to the ball.
Smear the polish around the ball with an Aramith application cloth.
Buff the ball with an old clean cotton tee shirt.
Takes 15 minutes and they look like new.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Many brands of good ball policy liguid/clean for sale. Aramith make one, old soft clean tee shit work fine. Takes time like making good soup.

E-bay, Muellers, and most other online Pool dealers sell.

Rich folks buy pushing machine, because they have money trees.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many brands of good ball policy liguid/clean for sale. Aramith make one, old soft clean tee shit work fine. Takes time like making good soup.

No, a person who determines a ball polisher provides an acceptable return on the investment buys it.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Im not rich and I dont have a money tree either. But as long as I have almost $1,000 invested in pool balls it seems like a good a idea to invest in a way to care for them.It would have been easy to spend 5 times the amount of a polisher on a custom cue. It also allows me more time practicing because I dont have to polish balls by hand.

For the OP, if you have a pool hall nearby you might be able to ask them to machine polish your Centennials for a small fee while you spend a couple hours giving them business and practicing on their tables.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im not rich and I dont have a money tree either. But as long as I have almost $1,000 invested in pool balls it seems like a good a idea to invest in a way to care for them...

Not to mention a polisher's buffing and a hand's buffing produces a noticeably different result.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
By hand.
One at a time.
Clean them with a dry cloth.
Apply a drop of Aramith ball cleaner to the ball.
Smear the polish around the ball with an Aramith application cloth.
Buff the ball with an old clean cotton tee shirt.
Takes 15 minutes and they look like new.

When the smoke clears you and I are going to make a cleaner. Not hard to do. Plan B bring them here anytime after the virus drops dead.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think I would do them at the hall

Im not rich and I dont have a money tree either. But as long as I have almost $1,000 invested in pool balls it seems like a good a idea to invest in a way to care for them.It would have been easy to spend 5 times the amount of a polisher on a custom cue. It also allows me more time practicing because I dont have to polish balls by hand.

For the OP, if you have a pool hall nearby you might be able to ask them to machine polish your Centennials for a small fee while you spend a couple hours giving them business and practicing on their tables.

Murphy is waiting to jump in if you bring the balls to the hall. Accidental mismatch or a damaged ball or three from a sharp edge or dropping them, all kinds of things waiting to go wrong. I'd do it by hand until and unless I got around to building a simple cleaner/polisher.

Hu

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Murphy is waiting to jump in if you bring the balls to the hall. Accidental mismatch or a damaged ball or three from a sharp edge or dropping them, all kinds of things waiting to go wrong. I'd do it by hand until and unless I got around to building a simple cleaner/polisher.

Hu

All very good points to remember. I suppose I didnt consider that stuff because in a private setting a polisher is used a relatively minute amount of time and its usually the same person operating it. In a commercial setting I can definitely see something happening to the polisher that may cause it to start scratching balls and someone just happening to forget to mention it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody else's polisher...my balls.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200902-144509.jpg
    Screenshot_20200902-144509.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 122