What is a "player"?

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
I've heard the term "player" used from time to time, but can't say as I really understand what it means. Apparently it doesn't connote a particular speed, say shortstop, or A player, or B player, but it has to mean something. For instance a D- player wouldn't really be a player at all, right?

Please enlighten me.

Flex

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heres a player........ :grin:

100_0347.jpg

100_0350.jpg

100_0343.jpg

100_0355.jpg

100_0342.jpg

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flex said:
I've heard the term "player" used from time to time, but can't say as I really understand what it means. Apparently it doesn't connote a particular speed, say shortstop, or A player, or B player, but it has to mean something. For instance a D- player wouldn't really be a player at all, right?

Please enlighten me.

Flex
In my experience, a "player," in the pool world, is someone who "can play." As in, "don't take this guy lightly, he can PLAY." I suppose the opposite of a "player" is a "sucker." A "player" may not be pro speed, but he or she won't mess up a straightforward run out very often and can be counted on to make good decisions at the table. I can't imagine anyone at the B level or lower being called "a player." All this is just from my experience and others may have a different take.

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
I think a "Player" is someone that has a legitimate shot at winning every time they play...whether its tourney or gambling. JMO.

Southpaw <---------NOT a Player:sorry:

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
Likely depends on the person using the phrase, to a non-player a D-player would be a "player" to an A-player a D-player would be 'the rent'

instroke75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bigshooter said:
Likely depends on the person using the phrase, to a non-player a D-player would be a "player" to an A-player a D-player would be 'the rent'
that's hilarious!
Jeremy

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Ron Jeremy is my hero. He's a player, just above short-stop speed.

He's the only guy who can "force follow" from the other side of the room.
Dave

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
anyone who graduated from ball-banging is considered as a player. the A-D ranking is a tool used to determine the skill level of the player.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone that considers pool as "more than just a hobby, or is very serious about the game."

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flex said:

Please enlighten me.

Flex

When I say "player" I don't only mean high skill but also being a student of the game. Someone that can talk about different cues, tables, pro players, knows what a spot is, knows about position, things like that. He may not be able to play very well, but he is definatly not a "banger".

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flex said:

Please enlighten me.

Flex
Someone who gets money for nothing and chicks for free...:)

Roadkill

Retired Pool Hustler
Silver Member
It's pronounced "PLAYA" and it refers to anyone who can juggle two (or more) girlfriends at the same time without either girl(s) discovering the other.

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Don't Know Each Other?

Roadkill said:
It's pronounced "PLAYA" and it refers to anyone who can juggle two (or more) girlfriends at the same time without either girl(s) discovering the other.

I have 5 at the moment and 3 of them are friends. They all pretty much know what's going on.