bought a 10 dollar laser level to help with finding the true contact point

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
started learning shanes shaft tip aiming system, and i was having problems with the contact point on the object ball. ordered a 10 dollar laser level from amazon, got it the next day. just set the laser to shine on the center of the pocket, and put a ball in the middle of the table, and the laser beam hits dead center.

it has been a great help for me. i can set up all 15 balls with a nice cut shot, using the same laser angle for each ball.

when i remove the laser and hit the same shot, its seems to be already set in stone in my mind and my vision.

my new AZB handle- judochoke the inventer:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did you know that on most shots you do not want to contact that ideal point due to throw?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you know that on most shots you do not want to contact that ideal point due to throw?

GleamingBothGemsbuck-size_restricted.gif

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes bob. the laser helped me figure that out. hitting the true contact point was off just a little on some shots.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The contact point should be a reference on any shot regardless. I think what's missing in these aiming threads is the line, "No system will make the shot for you." Knowing the contact point reduces the shot to what it is. They are as much a constant as what color or number you're shooting. Denying that is silly.

As to the actual effects of ball collisions, those need to be addressed and undertaken in a step by step by manner; much like learning a musical instrument.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can a laser level be used to point over the object ball into the hole

I don't use an exact spot for aiming.I just try to hit the ball down the correct path

i know this sounds stupid,but it is all i ever did

no wonder i don't play good?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
can a laser level be used to point over the object ball into the hole

I don't use an exact spot for aiming.I just try to hit the ball down the correct path

i know this sounds stupid,but it is all i ever did

no wonder i don't play good?
Google "fan laser pointer" and you'll find something like the pic below. It projects a broad vertical "plane" rather than a single line, shining a line on the OB showing the contact point's vertical axis and a line on the cloth beyond it to the pocket. This is what I've used to illustrate the contact point to beginners - just lay it on the rail with the "fan" oriented vertically and pointed through the OB to the pocket. Costs about $30.

pj
chgo

fan laser.JPG

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both of those things are bad, but I don't think either of them has anything to do with throw.

pj
chgo

I believe bad mechanics gives the impression that throw is more of a problem than it is. I don't have to account for it with my aiming system and LD shaft.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Earl shows up at a tournament wearing something on his head with lasers and mirrors we know who to blame.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe bad mechanics gives the impression that throw is more of a problem than it is. I don't have to account for it with my aiming system and LD shaft.
You must account for it subconsciously and not realize it. Most people leave the majority of their aiming to the subconscious.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You must account for it subconsciously and not realize it. Most people leave the majority of their aiming to the subconscious.
It's the nature of the beast. In fact, I don't think visualizing the OB contact point accurately is as important as the visualization being consistent - the subconscious can learn to connect wrong pictures with correct cut angles, so long as they don't keep changing.

pj
chgo