Mezz vs Exceed?

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the cue butt is constructed differently. But what's it mean in terms of feel. Does a plain Exceed cue hit +1000$ better Then a Mezz? If I put an ex-pro or ignite shaft on a mezz will it feel like an Exceed?

Getting back into pool after three years off (played for 25yrs). I used to play with joss and schon w factory shafts.
Recently got a plain Mezz axi w wx900 shaft and I like it. Even tho its totally different. Boy the fit and finish is excellent from this japanese maker.
The exceed cues are beautiful I might sell some of the collection for one. (Hard to find in states tho)

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ps... I'm a solid 8ball player..strong open to borderline master when I'm practicing a lot. ....who happens to just really like nice cues

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the cue butt is constructed differently. But what's it mean in terms of feel. Does a plain Exceed cue hit +1000$ better Then a Mezz? If I put an ex-pro or ignite shaft on a mezz will it feel like an Exceed?

Getting back into pool after three years off (played for 25yrs). I used to play with joss and schon w factory shafts.
Recently got a plain Mezz axi w wx900 shaft and I like it. Even tho its totally different. Boy the fit and finish is excellent from this japanese maker.
The exceed cues are beautiful I might sell some of the collection for one. (Hard to find in states tho)
jjcue.com keeps a nice inventory of exceed cues in stock at reasonable prices. Reasonable at least for Exceed cues. Otherwise it’s a 3+ year waiting list to try to order one. I can’t definitively say I can notice any difference in the feel / hit between a Mezz model and an Exceed model, or even the difference between the united shaft or the wavy shaft on either. They are both extremely nice cues and I just wanted to have an Exceed model. I don’t regret it, they are beautiful cues, but they have not improved my game.

Last edited:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have several cues. The Mezz is my playing cue. I think you’re paying more for Exceed because of they are more intricate and not the playability.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have several cues. The Mezz is my playing cue. I think you’re paying more for Exceed because of they are more intricate and not the playability.
Apparently we’re paying more either because of the demand - 3 year waiting list, or because they only make a limited number of them - 3 year waiting list.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Paying for the pretty. The shaft is the performance. The hit feel will not change too much between the models. Not worth the money if you already have a Mezz and like it. I played with a bunch of Mezz cues and shafts at SBE last year, they were all pretty similar. The bigger pin had a stiffer hit across the board with the same shaft model, aside from that all felt about the same.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's good to know guys. I figured they would have a different hit or balance. Something that justifies the 1000$ more price for the plain model over the 500$ mezz plain jayne

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if the hit is the same. I've always loved the look of the Exceed plain janes. Since they are out of my budget I bought a discontinued Mezz Ec7-W, before they were all sold out. I am very impressed on the quality of the wood they use, as well as the quality of the finish of the cue & shaft.

Last edited:

JT4Annapolis

JT in FL now
I doubt if I or most people could tell difference between Mezz and Exceed butt with same shaft. The Exceed is nice even the plain models appear to be the pick of the litter when it comes to the wood selection (ignore the stock photos and find real pictures) Also might hold value slightly better then Mezz cue.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Exceed line is Miki's baby. He even flies overseas to pick out the woods used. These are his statement cues. Probably don't play much different. Kinda like any super hi-end cue. You're paying for wood, ringwork, inlays, etc.