If you could travel back in time, where would you travel to, and why?

Agree with this. All Cruise can ever do is grimace and shreek. The actor should have been a much smarter, subtle character.

All the best,
WW

I always liked Tom Cruise, but I think he acted really silly in The Color of Money.

The part where he was dancing, and twirling his cue, around the pool table, while he ran out, was so silly I thought.

It was a good movie, but not in the same league as The Hustler. That was such a better movie, in more ways then one. That was the type of movie that a film lover would love even if they were not a fan of pool.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I asked the Miz if Harold was as good as people say he was....the Miz said “Better.”
..as Harold’s health worsened, Miz was like a valet for him...whatever he needed.

I will only add this. Harold was a cool customer, I never saw him raise his voice. He always spoke in an even tone and remained calm. I can't imagine him ever using profanity. He was a man of few words and people listened when he spoke.

He was a pretty sharp cookie too, always seeming to have the perfect reply to any question put to him. He was not just a pool player. He was a good businessman as well. He could (and did) make a living without ever picking up a cue. He just liked to play and take on the best players. I doubt that he ever bragged about winning either. He just wasn't that kind of man.

Again, just like Efren, when he was playing all eyes were on him. He made the game look so simple and easy. The only modern era player that reminded me of Harold's playing style was Buddy Hall playing 9-Ball.

The only other pool player I ever saw who reminded me of Harold was Bob Vanover from Texas. Bob was a terrific player and had a very good job. He was another quiet killer who was friendly to everyone and not afraid to take on anyone. You needed to be a world champion to take on Bob! THey barred Bob from playing in the Senior's division of the BCA Nationals because he won it year after year. The first perfect tournament match I ever heard of was when Bob ran nine racks and out in the finals of the Texas State Championships. He won that match 9-0! And he was no Harold Worst!

Last edited:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
#1 The heyday at Starcher's in Akron,so we could get HD footage of a place that by my estimation had close to 100 players in the 700 Fargo range as regulars...and still the best wings I've ever eaten :cool:.

#2 Shreveport in the Buddy Hall days,spotting Louie Roberts and making it stick...

#3 Places where I could have stepped in and prevented something or fixed something afterwards,like Michael Coltrain's tremors...or whatever happened with Ginky. Tommy D.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like others, my first thought was to see Harold Worst in his prime.

I would also want to watch Cisero Murphy in his prime. I did have a chance to watch Cisero in a tournament once and it was one of the most entertaining afternoons I ever had watching pool.

boyraks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Manila 1975.
Lucky 13 Billiards owned by Efrens uncle.
I played on the same table aka Efrens bed.
He has to rise early to accomodate us to play.
Younger kids like us has to be early to get a table.
Hustlers arrive at noon and the place would become an arena.
You see how it looks looks like nowadays on youtube.
Man wish to be there once again.

JC

Coos Cues
I was thinking that I would travel back to that first time I became fascinated with this game at 12 years old and get some instruction.

But then I realize Mosconi's green pamphlet book was probably as good as it got in those days and I had it.

So I got more realistic and decided to go back to last saturday night ten minutes before mega bucks was drawn............................

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Manila 1975.
Lucky 13 Billiards owned by Efrens uncle.
I played on the same table aka Efrens bed.
He has to rise early to accomodate us to play.
Younger kids like us has to be early to get a table.
Hustlers arrive at noon and the place would become an arena.
You see how it looks looks like nowadays on youtube.
Man wish to be there once again.

I ran into Lucky 30 years later in Angeles City. We were playing cards at the Wild Orchid Hotel. He saw my cue and when the poker game broke up he asked me if I wanted to play some pool. I said sure and he led me to the restaurant/bar area where they had a beat up 9' table. We played 1,000p a game Eight Ball and I won 5,000p (about $100) from him. He asked me if I played One Pocket and I said sure. Then he told me he had someone else who would play me, and went to a house phone there to call him while I waited. Unbeknown to me he was calling Efren. Lucky came back and asked me my name. I told him Jay. He went back to the phone and when he came back he said the guy wasn't coming. I wondered what happened. A few days later I ran into Efren and he told me he heard I beat his friend Lucky. I asked him how he knew. He says Lucky called him and when he found out it was me, he told Lucky, "Jay doesn't play that good." And then he just laughed.

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you could travel back in time, even just for a day, a week, a month, or a year, to any era in pools history of the game, and to any specific pool room, where would you want to travel to, and why?

For me, I would wish to travel back to the early to mid 80's, and see Keith McCready in his prime.

I do not know where specifically he is from, or if he had a specific pool room that he often frequented, but that is where I would love to travel back to, and to visit the pool room that he frequented most often.

He was such a great character, and a great player.

Would still love to meet him, and maybe even have a chance to shoot with him someday.

1969. I would head straight to the Chevy dealer and buy a few car carriers worth of Camaros, Corvettes and Chevelles. Maybe get a few big block 2 door Impalas and Caprices too! :thumbup:

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I would go back in time just far enough to be able to experience the
cultures of Europe before the Middle Eastern invasion of refugees. Because it would
be representative of thousands of years of cultural evolution. Many of us in the US
and everywhere for that matter, know very little about the cultures we came from.
I've been studying my families genealogy and its been very sobering to say the
least. I've uncovered things that were nearly lost to time and would have been lest I
was interested in them. Simply amazing things about the struggles of humanity. It
really makes you appreciate your ancestors.

If you could travel back in time, even just for a day, a week, a month, or a year, to any era in pools history of the game, and to any specific pool room, where would you want to travel to, and why?

For me, I would wish to travel back to the early to mid 80's, and see Keith McCready in his prime.

I do not know where specifically he is from, or if he had a specific pool room that he often frequented, but that is where I would love to travel back to, and to visit the pool room that he frequented most often.

Would still love to meet him, and maybe even have a chance to shoot with him someday.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member

I played with him in the 80’s. We played in a tournament in ‘79, Terry Stonier Sacramento 9 Ball Championship. I came in 3 rd place, Keith won. Good memories.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
A little joint somewhere in southern Georgia, can’t remember the name, and get the soup instead of the salad...

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’d travel back to 2/20/2020 @8:03 P.M.

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
Bodie California... Circa 1879...

so I could experience this room during its heyday.

picture.php

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taking pool out of the equation people tend to forget how hard life was back in the old days. It would be nice to see my Dad, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles and friends who are no longer living but it was a hard life.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

I'd also go back to the mid - later 80's. Not to see a pool match, but because back then
I got laid all the time. I'm way more shallow than most of you