Need help two fold question

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello

I am trying to figure out a couple of things. First. What makes the difference between a small ferrule and a long one. I always liked the look of a longer ferrule on a shaft a lot better than a short one. I just think it makes the shaft look better. 2 question is does a skinner shaft make a more low deflection shaft. Reason I am asking this is on the low deflection shafts say from Meucci like the ultimate weapon or pro shaft they are usually 11.6-12 inch on the shaft and a short ferrule. Does it make the shaft play better. Does the short ferrule give a more firm hit we’re the long ferrule gives a soft hit maybe. I like my shaft mostly to a 11.5 or 12. I seem to play better with that size and have my shafts turned down to that size if they are to big and uncomfortable for me. I am just trying to understand this. Thanks in advance.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello

I am trying to figure out a couple of things. First. What makes the difference between a small ferrule and a long one. I always liked the look of a longer ferrule on a shaft a lot better than a short one. I just think it makes the shaft look better. 2 question is does a skinner shaft make a more low deflection shaft. Reason I am asking this is on the low deflection shafts say from Meucci like the ultimate weapon or pro shaft they are usually 11.6-12 inch on the shaft and a short ferrule. Does it make the shaft play better. Does the short ferrule give a more firm hit we’re the long ferrule gives a soft hit maybe. I like my shaft mostly to a 11.5 or 12. I seem to play better with that size and have my shafts turned down to that size if they are to big and uncomfortable for me. I am just trying to understand this. Thanks in advance.
Shoter/lighter ferrule and thinner shaft will both help lower deflection. Its all about "shaft end-mass". The more mass at the tip end of a cue the greater the cueball squirt.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
short answer
lower END MASS = lower deflection
SO
smaller ferrule =less mass
smaller tip ie end shaft size=less mass
so yes lower deflection
jmho
icbw

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First. What makes the difference between a small ferrule and a long one. I always liked the look of a longer ferrule on a shaft a lot better than a short one. I just think it makes the shaft look better.

The ferrule material is denser than the wood. Thus the longer the ferrule the heavier the nose of the shaft. This adds deflection.

2 question is does a skinner shaft make a more low deflection shaft.

The thinner the shaft the less deflection but the more whippy the shaft.
A solid maple shaft of 11mm tip size is (IS) a low deflection shaft--it will have the equivalent end mass of a 11.75mm shaft with a hole drilled in the tip end.

Does the short ferrule give a more firm hit we’re the long ferrule gives a soft hit maybe.

The ferrule material is going to have a bigger effect than the length of the ferrule.
But, in general, the shorter the ferrule, the lower deflection the shaft.