Gold Crown (option #1)

RJM

Registered
So I'm looking for a table and I've found this Gold Crown (not sure if it's a 2 or 3) - if anyone knows, please comment. It's got a few bumps and bruises, but for it's age it looks pretty good. The aprons could use some TLC, but that's an easy fix. The guy selling it has had it for 3 years and is down sizing, so he's getting rid of it. He's not sure of the history beyond the person that he bought it off of (or how long they owned it), so it most likely was a hall table at some point. It needs a new rag, but the rails play good and he'll take $1,500 USD. I really like the fact that it's got snooker pockets - I grew up playing pool on a table with that type of pocket and it keeps you honest (no sloppy crap getting gobbled up in wide-open corners). My only hesitation with this table is the other GC that I found (and talk about) under the thread "Gold Crown (option #2)" - because it is beautiful!! But, it doesn't have the snooker pockets!! I've posted a few picks so you can see the table and if anyone can figure out if it's a 2 or a 3 and if there is anything critically different that someone should be aware of between those two versions, I would appreciate it!

Attachments

• GC2 5.jpg
    GC2 5.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 323
  • GC2 3.jpg
    GC2 3.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 324
  • GC2 2.jpg
    GC2 2.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 326
  • GC2 1.jpg
    GC2 1.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 331

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As in the other thread, you appeared to have a factory made snooker home sized table.
You will be hard pressed to find those in the States. But if you do, and it is a gold crown...the odds of that being done right at the factory are slim to none. That looks like an after market modification...was it done right? Are the subrails modified to accept that profile cushion? So many variables to consider. There are a lot of hatchet men out there and the last thing you want is to buy a table, disassemble it, and figure out you can’t read the persons mind who originally chop shopped it up and you end up having to spend thousands to rebuild it.

I would post all your thoughts and questions in the ask a mechanic section of the forum. Hopefully some of he really great mechanics that post here regularly answer your questions.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where are you finding all these snooker tables OP, I have had zero luck finding stuff like this?. You live in the U.S.?

RJM

Registered
Thanks for all the feedback! So it sounds like this one is no good ... which I kind of agree with and the other one under: the Gold Crown (option #2) thread is too expensive - which I also sort of agree with. I think the next step is forget about this one, and let the other guy sit on the GC1 it for awhile and maybe the price gets a little more reasonable - but I honestly don't see him coming down below $1,900 USD. The thing is, there isn't many GC around locally (Calgary, Alberta, Canada). It's starting to get a little frustrating trying to find something decent on the 2nd hand market. Oh well, keep looking! Thanks again

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the feedback! So it sounds like this one is no good ... which I kind of agree with and the other one under: the Gold Crown (option #2) thread is too expensive - which I also sort of agree with. I think the next step is forget about this one, and let the other guy sit on the GC1 it for awhile and maybe the price gets a little more reasonable - but I honestly don't see him coming down below $1,900 USD. The thing is, there isn't many GC around locally (Calgary, Alberta, Canada). It's starting to get a little frustrating trying to find something decent on the 2nd hand market. Oh well, keep looking! Thanks again

Did you contact the owner? If those rails have been rebuilt (subrails and facings repaired) on the GC1 with new rubber, that’s a $1500 value right there.
I’m guessing he did a major overhaul with that high gloss black finish.

A while back I paid for a new set of rails modified to 4.25” pockets, for an old beat up gold crown 1...it cost me $1500 total plus the trade in on the old rails.
So if that work was already done, then the price is pretty good.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you playing pool or snooker? If pool, don't get a snooker table! Regardless of what you played on when you were younger. The pockets are wrong for pool. If you want challenging pockets, you can tighten up real pool pockets. But if you have a snooker table, there is no fixing it to be proper for pool.

Also, you will never be able to sell a snooker table in the USA if you ever get sick of it or move. You will probably have to pay someone to get it out of your house. You will be stuck with it forever.

*Edit: I just saw you are in Canada, so my comments about never being able to sell a snooker in the USA table don't apply:)

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you playing pool or snooker? If pool, don't get a snooker table! Regardless of what you played on when you were younger. The pockets are wrong for pool. If you want challenging pockets, you can't tighten up real pool pockets. But if you have a snooker table, there is no fixing it to be proper for pool.

Also, you will never be able to sell a snooker table in the USA if you ever get sick of it or move. You will probably have to pay someone to get it out of your house. You will be stuck with it forever.

*Edit: I just saw you are in Canada, so my comments about never being able to sell a snooker in the USA table don't apply:)

I tried asking him that in the other thread...he doesn’t know.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you playing pool or snooker? If pool, don't get a snooker table! Regardless of what you played on when you were younger. The pockets are wrong for pool. If you want challenging pockets, you can't tighten up real pool pockets. But if you have a snooker table, there is no fixing it to be proper for pool.

If he was close to me, I would buy it. Not many snooker tables down here in New Mexico, and probably less people who even know what it is.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
As in the other thread, you appeared to have a factory made snooker home sized table.
You will be hard pressed to find those in the States. But if you do, and it is a gold crown...the odds of that being done right at the factory are slim to none. That looks like an after market modification...was it done right? Are the subrails modified to accept that profile cushion? So many variables to consider. There are a lot of hatchet men out there and the last thing you want is to buy a table, disassemble it, and figure out you can’t read the persons mind who originally chop shopped it up and you end up having to spend thousands to rebuild it.

I would post all your thoughts and questions in the ask a mechanic section of the forum. Hopefully some of he really great mechanics that post here regularly answer your questions.

Brunswick made 9ft Snooker tables, but that one is patched together from different tables.