American 14.1 Straight Pool 2018

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! What an interesting thread this is! I almost feel like I was right there at the table...

Andy

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! What an interesting thread this is! I almost feel like I was right there at the table...

Andy

Hi Andy -- I echo what others have said about how well you (and the team) ran the tournament, and the high quality of the video work. Thanks for all of your volunteer work in support of our favorite game.

You know what would be fabulous? If you could get in touch with Thorsten and ask him if he would read this thread, take a look at the video of the point in the match when he attempted the much debated shot on the three ball, and share his thoughts (perhaps through you, if he doesn't want to make an appearance on line) on (a) his perception, at the time, of his odds of making the shot, (b) his perception, now, of those odds, (c) whether he considered, at the time, playing safe, and, if so, how, and (d) his thoughts, after reviewing the video, about the option of playing safe. While we are not a huge audience, we are pretty focused on the shot, and we are "big fans," as they say.

Regards,

Seth

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the shot you are remembering was on a different day, in a different match, against a different opponent -- namely, the shot that ended Hohmann's run of 144 against Chinahov the previous day in the Round of 16.

Chinahov ran 86 and missed a cross-side bank. Hohmann ran 144, but got stuck in the pack with no good shot. So then (after 3½ minutes) he tried that jacked-up swerve shot on the 7-ball/3-ball combination at the head of the table and missed.

It is certainly debatable what he should have done in that situation. Chinahov was not on a foul, but Hohmann could have taken an intentional to see whether Chinahov would botch the situation, and, if Chinahov did not, then proceed to 3 consecutive fouls. But, hey, who doesn't want to run 150 and out? Orcollo had run 149 in the previous round to take the lead for the tournament high run.

So Hohmann missed and gave Chinahov a chance to knock him out of the tournament. Instead, Chinahov ran 9 and missed (on another cross-side bank), and Hohmann got the last 6.

Edit -- As for the Finals match, how it went, inning by inning, can be seen here: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6248951&postcount=3
Yeah, my memory just isn't what I used to be. It was exciting watching him get closer to 150-and-out, which is I'm sure most likely why he tried such a low percentage shot. As big as those pockets were playing on that new cloth and as many long runs as there were, it still could have cost him the match, but didn't. At least I was correct on the player, even if it was a different match. Thanks for the clarification.