triangle

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny Harriman: ....I care zero for how most people might want to go about playing 14.1 said:
And doubtless well worth it (judging by your extraordinary skill level), but (much like sometimes with Mike S.), people may think your elitist attitude is showing a bit (?).

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
rackin me brain

I've been seriously playing straight pool for over 5 years and have always questioned why there is not a regulation 14.1 rack to end all this nonsense. Nobody has an answer as to why there is not one.

I understand why it doesn't matter in today's world, because 99% of the players are playing games where there is no connection from one rack to the next. But one would have thought 100 years ago when 14.1 was the only game played some rack standardization would have been instituted.

Rack size variance is obscene today. The Diamond rack is almost 3 2x4's put together (OK I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get the point) and should never be used for 14.1. The depth of that rack actually penalizes a player who wants to play a "behind the rack break" if you are using the edges of that rack to determine whether the break ball is inside the rack.

I think the table should be marked with 3 lines that indicate the actual edge of the 14 balls. If the edge of the break ball is outside that line it stays, even if you need to mark the break ball to rack the balls with whatever rack you use.

Not having a regulation rack for 14.1 is no different than playing with balls other than a 2.25" diameter. When you think about it, it is just another example of how so many rules of pool have gray areas open to interpretation and launch points for cheating.

I only use one traced line for the rack, in one pocket it is ok to draw a line for when to spot object ball's - I don't draw any other lines other than the one that traces the outer edge of a thin triangle. If you cannot lift the rack up past - then object ball is in. This is why I like to employ a thin triangle when racking. I was just racking my brain and thought it would be nice to have a rack that would light up (stoplight color coded) when it was placed correctly? I don't really know how to stop the cheats, but it does make the game of straight pool look shady.

Last edited:

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are some spots your idea would allow for a break ball where the break ball would be unplayable. Is that what you want?

Bob, there are unlimited places on the table where a break ball is unplayable i.e. object ball on the table head rail and the cue behind the rack. I think all good 14.1 players do not want a break ball within 1/4 inch of the rack, unless the cue is in perfect position, and would try to avoid the condition of marrying the break ball on the edge of the rack at all costs. But this solution would resolve the multiple rack size and the "in or out of the rack" discussion.

Drawing 3 lines representing the edge of the rack is quite simple. Rack 14 balls and remove the rack. Place a straight edge that is 1 1/8" high along the edge of the balls on one side. Mark on the straight edge the center of the end balls. Leave the straight edge in place, remove the balls, and draw a line on the table from each center point. Repeat the process for the other 2 sides of the rack by re-racking, aligning the straight edge to the center of the balls edge with the previous marks, and draw the line.

During play, if the the edge of the break ball is outside the line, but must be marked to rack the 14, so be it.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
light em up

I still like my light on the rack idea, don't think it would not be easy to do either. It would seem there is an 'ail lement' that would lead us to believe that it's very difficult to have the same rack every time - no matter if the break shot is high or low. I understand the shortest distance between two points is a straight line - but not many lines.I am all for an idea that would help accountability for this (rack yer own wound) that has been inflicted into 14.1, however on second thought I think drawing many lines is a mistake. Again there is a simple solution for the problem, when triangle lines up the side of the rack lights up blue, if rack is moved high or low the red light comes on. Or you can go off on a tangent and draw lines all over the table, this will look goofy and complicated. Either way something needs to be done about this, if I hit the lotto I will hire a team of ref's with white gloves - in hopes of trying to salvage what has been demolished, a sound and lights techy' squad - for the rack. but as the people in charge of the bar league's would say pool is a game that people want to play and not watch, these same people make plenty of coin of bar tables - hmm. Of course they won't tell you that 14.1 could be marketed into a very enjoyable spectator friendly sport to watch either live or on tv - and is much easier to film than say nine ball or 8 ball for that mattrer. Rack yer own will assist in the current state of petty deception that this great game has and still is being subjected to. I don't play the lotto - Good Day

Last edited:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still like my light on the rack idea, don't think it would not be easy to do either. It would seem there is an 'ail lement' that would lead us to believe that it's very difficult to have the same rack every time - no matter if the break shot is high or low. I understand the shortest distance between two points is a straight line - but not many lines.I am all for an idea that would help accountability for this (rack yer own wound) that has been inflicted into 14.1, however on second thought I think drawing many lines is a mistake. Again there is a simple solution for the problem, when triangle lines up the side of the rack lights up blue, if rack is moved high or low the red light comes on. Or you can go off on a tangent and draw lines all over the table, this will look goofy and complicated. Either way something needs to be done about this, if I hit the lotto I will hire a team of ref's with white gloves - in hopes of trying to salvage what has been demolished, a sound and lights techy' squad - for the rack. but as the people in charge of the bar league's would say pool is a game that people want to play and not watch these same people make plenty of coin of bar tables - hmm. Of course they won't tell you that 14.1 could be marketed into a very enjoyable spectator friendly sport to watch either live or on tv - and is much easier to film than say nine ball or 8 ball for that mattrer. Rack yer own will assist in the current state of petty deception that this great game has and still is being subjected to. I don't play the lotto - Good Day

In the old days (at least at some tournaments) they had an extra ball that was used to rack, and then the head ball was removed. Makes it pretty obvious exactly where the rack's supposed to go.

But I have to say, I get a little chuckle out of the rack position being some sort of impediment to the game. Lots of us are out here struggling just to get to the break shot, and most of the time I'm happy if my break ball is even in the vicinity of the rack. It'd be pretty obvious if the rack ever interferes with my break shot...

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Yep

There are many laughing at the top players racking themselves i.e., making it appear that it's practice when it's actually real competition. If u were betting $ or pulling for a player you would probably not find the rack your own format too comical when your horse's opponent had a break shot that was a bit high or low. Here is a scenario - your opponent has a break shot that is not ideal and some distance from rack, it's 'rack yourself' format - you have entered a different dimension there's a sign straight ahead oh your lost in the Bermuda triangle - or maybe it's the twilight zone. In twenty yrs if there is a reputable promoter that wants to market the sport proper like they will have the technology I am talking about and referee's (that know the rules) as well. At amateur level maybe not but believe me folks if a player is capable of running hundred's AND has good sportsman like conduct (etiquette) - they have earned a ref to rack and not make them seem like they are practicing. When I see a top player racking his or her own rack and no ref presiding over the match - I don't get a chuckle there john. I think it's a travesty and can only assume that the promoter either is lacking funding or wants to make the game look dismal and unprofessional. Also some of the one's getting a chuckle out of there not being any real accountability to a professional standard - are bitter as they never made top player themselves, I hope your not in that group john. Watch the Chinese 8 ball - there's class 14.1 could look like that as well and is even easier to film than 8 ball.

Last edited:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of this nonsense goes away if you have an actual ref at important matches. But whatever... 9 ball on mini tables is all the rage...

I could not agree wit' ya more.

There are many laughing at the top players racking themselves i.e., making it appear that it's practice when it's actually real competition. If u were betting $ or pulling for a player you would probably not find the rack your own format too comical when your horse's opponent had a break shot that was a bit high or low. Here is a scenario - your opponent has a break shot that is not ideal and some distance from rack, it's 'rack yourself' format - you have entered a different dimension there's a sign straight ahead oh your lost in the Bermuda triangle - or maybe it's the twilight zone. In twenty yrs if there is a reputable promoter that wants to market the sport proper like they will have the technology I am talking about and referee's (that know the rules) as well. At amateur level maybe not but believe me folks if a player is capable of running hundred's AND has good sportsman like conduct (etiquette) - they have earned a ref to rack and not make them seem like they are practicing. When I see a top player racking his or her own rack and no ref presiding over the match - I don't get a chuckle there john. I think it's a travesty and can only assume that the promoter either is lacking funding or wants to make the game look dismal and unprofessional. Also some of the one's getting a chuckle out of there not being any real accountability to a professional standard - are bitter as they never made top player themselves, I hope your not in that group john. Watch the Chinese 8 ball - there's class 14.1 could look like that as well and is even easier to film than 8 ball.

:scratchhead:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Bermuda tryanglers

In the old days (at least at some tournaments) they had an extra ball that was used to rack, and then the head ball was removed. Makes it pretty obvious exactly where the rack's supposed to go.

But I have to say, I get a little chuckle out of the rack position being some sort of impediment to the game. Lots of us are out here struggling just to get to the break shot, and most of the time I'm happy if my break ball is even in the vicinity of the rack. It'd be pretty obvious if the rack ever interferes with my break shot...

I was not talking bout 'your' game John - that was you. I am interested in how to improve the over all state of how the game is being presented to the public. Right now it is just a game in a state of degradation, I hope 14.1 could some day be marketed as a sport. After watching the Saints vs patriots game I understand that even with technology they ( the corrupt people behind the curtain) can make their team win. Again if I had the resources I would design a format where the rules were the same for everyone (no matter who sponsored who). Also in my Straight Pool tour politics would not even stand a chance with their bugmen hangin around trying to hack into my tour. Many entry fee's would not be a priority, I would market a small group of elite players and none of them would be able to try and shark the opponent or they would be severely fined everyone in the event would be there caused they earned it - through a structured format to attain pro status - as it once was.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I totally agree.

Having 14.1 players rack for themselves is no bueno. There is far too much opportunity to twist the rack and/or put them a little high or a little low. Guys that you know know better can suddenly get real sloppy about their racking technique.

Lou Figueroa

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Thanks Lou

It makes sense that you understand bout the 'tryanglers' your a great player and do seem to have some knowledge bout what is right and rong'.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It makes sense that you understand bout the 'tryanglers' your a great player and do seem to have some knowledge bout what is right and rong'.

Thanks, Danny.

I feel that for any kind of significant competition (or high run attempt) there must be a racker. People get all freaked out about 9ball racks and microscopic gaps... well, I think for 14.1 there can be equally significant concerns when a player racks for themselves. It's also true for 1pocket but that's a different story.

Lou Figueroa

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many ‘odd’ things nowadays seem taken for granted: Billiard cloth offered in bright/garish colors, “Rack-your-own” (??!!!), Questioning the quality of the cueball when it skids?, etc., etc. If you live long enough, you’ll see everything, I guess.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
P.S. I also meant to include (the ‘etc’ category) ‘cueball fouls only’. A pox on billiards. It has made us all sloppy & careless. Something that inevitably bleeds into our playing (in general). The excuse given was ‘long hair’ & ‘loose clothing’, a 60s era phenomenon. Would I want to be forced to wear a tuxedo just to compete at 14.1? No, certainly. Those days are gone. But, what about the honor & dedication of the guys that HAD to wear them? Is that also something lost to history?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... ‘cueball fouls only’. A pox on billiards. It has made us all sloppy & careless. Something that inevitably bleeds into our playing (in general). The excuse given was ‘long hair’ & ‘loose clothing’, a 60s era phenomenon. ...
To the best of my knowledge the rule was instituted because in unrefereed matches many players could not be trusted to only call touch fouls that were real.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously? So, if bank tellers can’t be trusted to never steal, then we will likely all have to get our cash from ATMs from now on?
A ludicrous concept. To assume that people cannot be honorable is also to condemn all sport to oblivion. Thus, no sporting contest should include ANY rules, since now, ‘all-is-fair’?
The major concept of ‘sport’ is ‘HONOR’. Otherwise, it’s a ‘dog-eat-dog’ world no one wants to live in.
No known welsher or cheater can get ‘action’, which is what really makes the world go round.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
roger that

To the best of my knowledge the rule was instituted because in unrefereed matches many players could not be trusted to only call touch fouls that were real.

Thanks to Dennis Walsh and Marop who were instrumental with the dcc Straight Pool Challenge. I would also add that I would not consider it to be the potential professional pool player's fault for the neglect of a professional standard (or lack of) referee in the case of a clothing foul or something of that nature (sometimes a player can foul and not even know it - unless there is a ref at the table. But many would like to blame the lack of there not being an active referee on the players - I am not one of those. Better day's.

Last edited: