practice drills

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know some three cushion practice drills? how about an end rail first diamond system. Thank you. P.H.P.

I don't know any drills, but an end rail system I'm familiar with is called thee plus 2 system. It is often called the dreaded plus 2 system because it is so sensitive to any variance in speed and/or English. Byrne's describes it in his book Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards.

https://www.amazon.com/Byrnes-Standard-Book-Pool-Billiards/dp/0156005549/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539193439&sr=8-1&keywords=byrnes+pool+and+billiards+books&dpID=51wSv83WC0L&preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

For me, this is the first book any aspiring billiard player should choose. Just ignore the first half where he talks about some game that is played on defective tables that have holes in them. :wink:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Byrne's describes it in his book Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards. ... For me, this is the first book any aspiring billiard player should choose. Just ignore the first half where he talks about some game that is played on defective tables that have holes in them. :wink:
I don't think those other tables are defective -- they're just not as evolved.:grin:

Byrne has lots of standard shots. It's worth your while to work for ten minutes on each with the balls in slightly different positions on each shot.

You can get Byrne's "New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards" delivered to your house for under $10. Any billiard player (or pool player, for that matter) who does not have a copy in their library has chosen to be stupid.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Look up a video series on youtube called the lesson

Its all korean this series so hard to find but has systems from caudron blomdahl and sanchez

Here is a nice one from dani to know and practice

https://youtu.be/ZvbrunDhCX8

And this actual vid has Vietnamese subtitles but dani speaks English in the video

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Lesson is a really good series but its not about Drills. It's about Systems.

Not that I'm the best one to answer your question, here's my thoughts.

First read what Bob Jewett said and I'll add pick the basic shots and drill on those. Like Bob said move the ball(s) around to create different shots. Master each one.

Know without a doubt exactly how much spin you're getting with your tip placement. This is learned on one favorite table, so adjustments can be made on another.

Learn the Mother Drills especially the CB speed drill.

One drill I do to get myself aligned is place an OB on the far end rail, put a CB on the other end of the table, then the goal is to hit the OB and not let it settle past the first diamonds on the long rails. Practicing thin hits. I just catch the CB and play from where I catch it.

A game I play by myself is 1 rail but add the rule that it must only be 1 rail. No rails or more than 1 rail is not a point. This one also gets me lined up and brings back a feel for the table, spin and stroke after a long lay off. My thought is, the second rail defines success in 3C (not always but...) In this case the second rail is replaced by the OB.

You might try these other games.
All shots require a rail first.
or
Using only 2 balls, you must make a 3 rail bank. Or 2 rail, or 1 rail bank.

That ought to keep you busy for a few years.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
learning is learning, you can certainly drill systems

the mother drills i got from scott lee, especially the speed one where you want to put the cb in between certain diamonds, never worked for me much

what did work for me is once i took on the classic caroms, you learn qb speed so much better in drilling gather shots, which is what i do daily, there are near limitless amounts that require ass tons of speed control

i found this one guy on facebook who posts daily gather shots, and does about 3 or 4 variations from the original position, hes incredible

and most of the time i share them to my group

sorry to hijack the thread, just trying to give another option

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
learning is learning, you can certainly drill systems

the mother drills i got from scott lee, especially the speed one where you want to put the cb in between certain diamonds, never worked for me much

what did work for me is once i took on the classic caroms, you learn qb speed so much better in drilling gather shots, which is what i do daily, there are near limitless amounts that require ass tons of speed control

i found this one guy on facebook who posts daily gather shots, and does about 3 or 4 variations from the original position, hes incredible

and most of the time i share them to my group

sorry to hijack the thread, just trying to give another option

I don't think you're hijacking the thread, I just took a different take on the question. Drills to me are practicing fundamentals first, then taking that into basic shots, then modifying the basic shots then learning the idiosyncrasies of spin, speed, stroke... when the shot isn't a perfect layup.

But first of all a player needs to have a solid foundation. Otherwise simply practicing shots or systems is nearly futile if the player is lacking here.

In other words, a player can put those little doughnut stickers on the table so the shot is exactly the same every time but, was the stroke the same, was the spin the same, was the hit the same. It all happens so fast, many times its hard to notice any differences in any of this and you end up chasing your tail. What did I do 6 tries ago vs what I just did. What should I try now? Wait, I remember already trying that before. But did I do this or that then? Darn, I don't remember. Start over.

IMO nobody can answer that unless they can rule out all possible fundamental flaws. Stance Bridge Stroke and a verified Speed and Spin. Nobody has all this absolutely perfected and nobody, if they're honest with themselves, believes they do or believes they never mistake in any of this or believes they notice everything. Always.

Lets say Caudron goes into a slump (in his own mind). Where in his game do we think he looks first? He could go to Kozoom and look at shot selection problems but my guess is he has his sparring partner and several cameras take a look at his fundamentals.

The best drill of all is stroking the ball down the center of the table and back to your tip. So many flaws can be detected with this drill alone.

Last edited:
I don't think you're hijacking the thread, I just took a different take on the question. Drills to me are practicing fundamentals first, then taking that into basic shots, then modifying the basic shots then learning the idiosyncrasies of spin, speed, stroke... when the shot isn't a perfect layup.

But first of all a player needs to have a solid foundation. Otherwise simply practicing shots or systems is nearly futile if the player is lacking here.

In other words, a player can put those little doughnut stickers on the table so the shot is exactly the same every time but, was the stroke the same, was the spin the same, was the hit the same. It all happens so fast, many times its hard to notice any differences in any of this and you end up chasing your tail. What did I do 6 tries ago vs what I just did. What should I try now? Wait, I remember already trying that before. But did I do this or that then? Darn, I don't remember. Start over.

IMO nobody can answer that unless they can rule out all possible fundamental flaws. Stance Bridge Stroke and a verified Speed and Spin. Nobody has all this absolutely perfected and nobody, if they're honest with themselves, believes they do or believes they never mistake in any of this or believes they notice everything. Always.

Lets say Caudron goes into a slump (in his own mind). Where in his game do we think he looks first? He could go to Kozoom and look at shot selection problems but my guess is he has his sparring partner and several cameras take a look at his fundamentals.

The best drill of all is stroking the ball down the center of the table and back to your tip. So many flaws can be detected with this drill alone.
I especially like shooting down middle of table for pool u can get away more in 3 cushion.I need a system short rail first I know plus system. I've been playing 3 cushion 17 yrs
I am still learning a lot
Thanks for the replies.
Paul