Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page 2-ball Location in Rack When Using Template Rack for 9-Ball?
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-11-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Hey Chris, how far forward is new 1b spot from original? 9-on-spot is great idea. Should be everywhere imo.
3 7/8th" is what Chris responded earlier.

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension)
Breaking Cue:Gilbert

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#32)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Thumbs up 10-11-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
3 7/8th" is what Chris responded earlier.
Cool. Thanks.

Old
  (#33)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I am not suggesting you get away from racking the 9-ball on the foot spot. Racking the 9-ball on the foot spot at this point is a pretty well-known option and all the reasons for doing it, as it is the norm in the Mosconi Cup (since 2007!).

What I am suggesting is that regardless of what you do with the Master Spot, a 9-ball illegally pocketed should be spotted on the foot spot (whether a physical spot is there or not).

I further am saying that when players not in any tournament setting decide to rack the 9-ball on the spot, they will be breaking without protection under the 9-ball if the Master Spot is on the traditional foot spot. It may come to be a real problem.

It seems like it's not clear to you what I'm saying, so I'll just quit.

Freddie <~~~ I think I'm clear
Fred, I understand exactly what you're saying and I appreciate it. I don't see it becoming a problem in our room. Most all our play through the week is recreational / beginners / families, etc. Most of them don't even know what side of the table to rack the balls on let alone racking the 9-ball on the spot, even though the rack hook is on the foot end of the table, crosshairs are marked on the cloth, and a master spot is on the foot spot.

With a few exeptions, our regular higher skill level tournament players show up on Monday nights and once a month on Sundays, and otherwise they rarely come in to practice - and they wonder why they don't get any better!

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 10-11-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Old
  (#34)
Runner
AzB Silver Member
Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
The 2 ball is the most important ball for pattern racking so specifying where it goes removes (or requires) most of the pattern issues.
+1
I've played a few tournaments where the 2 goes in the back, either regular rack
or template rack.

Old
  (#35)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Hey Chris, how far forward is new 1b spot from original? 9-on-spot is great idea. Should be everywhere imo.
Yes, 3 7/8" is correct to the nearest eighth of an inch. If the balls are a full 2" in diameter, the actual distance is about 22 thousandths of an inch more than that. 3.9" is good to the nearest tenth of an inch. 99 millimeters is also a good figure to use.

Old
  (#36)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Yes, 3 7/8" is correct to the nearest eighth of an inch. If the balls are a full 2" in diameter, the actual distance is about 22 thousandths of an inch more than that. 3.9" is good to the nearest tenth of an inch. 99 millimeters is also a good figure to use.
(Stick "tan(60 degrees)*2.25" into google search if a more exact value is needed.)

In one of the Mosconi Cups the balls were racked half of that ahead by agreement of the two teams, IIRC. That would be with the second row even with the spot rather than the third (9-ball) row.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 10-11-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Old
  (#37)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
In one of the Mosconi Cups the balls were racked half of that ahead by agreement of the two teams, IIRC. That would be with the second row even with the spot rather than the third (9-ball) row.
Should there be a WPA rule on this as an option? I'd like there to be, but it's totally confusing.

I'm good with moving the spot, and spotting on that spot for illegal 9-ball. But 3 7/8ths vs whatever is in between.... no idea.

Freddie <~~~ even more confused

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension)
Breaking Cue:Gilbert

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#38)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Should there be a WPA rule on this as an option? I'd like there to be, but it's totally confusing.

I'm good with moving the spot, and spotting on that spot for illegal 9-ball. But 3 7/8ths vs whatever is in between.... no idea.

Freddie <~~~ even more confused
The only official option that the WPA had so far as I know was racking the 9 on the spot. I have heard that rule had passed out of its trial period and had been discarded, but I'm not sure. I could find no mention of the nine-on-the-spot rule on the WPA website.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#39)
sbpoolleague
World's #1 League Website
sbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2018, 12:16 PM

OK so here is my idea for an invention that can be used in a new game called...Random Rotation. Though I thought this up myself, I have no doubt many before me have thought of this.

Basically, Random Rotation works exactly the same as all your other rotation games (eg. 9-ball) except that the order in which the balls become the object ball is randomly chosen immediately AFTER the break shot. The 1-ball is always the first ball in rotation and is racked in its normal spot. The game winning ball (eg. 9-ball) is always the last ball in rotation and is racked in its normal spot. All other balls can be placed however the person racking chooses.

After breaking the rack, a pea bottle with all the other balls in it is shaken and poured out (see picture). The order of those balls determines the order of the rotation.

This would not change the essence of the rotation game at all, and it would totally remove any possibility of an advantage by pattern racking.

Old
  (#40)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

10-11-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpoolleague View Post
OK so here is my idea for an invention that can be used in a new game called...Random Rotation. Though I thought this up myself, I have no doubt many before me have thought of this.

Basically, Random Rotation works exactly the same as all your other rotation games (eg. 9-ball) except that the order in which the balls become the object ball is randomly chosen immediately AFTER the break shot. The 1-ball is always the first ball in rotation and is racked in its normal spot. The game winning ball (eg. 9-ball) is always the last ball in rotation and is racked in its normal spot. All other balls can be placed however the person racking chooses.

After breaking the rack, a pea bottle with all the other balls in it is shaken and poured out (see picture). The order of those balls determines the order of the rotation.

This would not change the essence of the rotation game at all, and it would totally remove any possibility of an advantage by pattern racking.
Even better: don't draw each pea until it is time to shoot a shot. You never know which ball you should play position for. If you miss a ball, the pea goes back into the bottle and your opponent gets a new one. Lots more strategy.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#41)
sbpoolleague
World's #1 League Website
sbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Even better: don't draw each pea until it is time to shoot a shot. You never know which ball you should play position for. If you miss a ball, the pea goes back into the bottle and your opponent gets a new one. Lots more strategy.
Awesome enhancement! And I'm sure there could be a lot more ideas out there to add some "wild" balls for handicapping and/or more random fun.

Old
  (#42)
Runner
AzB Silver Member
Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpoolleague View Post

+1 !

Actually I think you've invented a whole new game.. 'Lottery' 9 ball !
Each pill is pulled after the previous shot? Talk about random...
sure wouldn't be as fast as regular 9 ball, but I see betting
possibilities.

Old
  (#43)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop1701 View Post
But it's fairly easy to do at the new place that opened here in town. Something about the new tables and clean shiny balls.

My only point to the discussion was really it doesn't matter where you put the balls. The 2 ball position doesn't really matter.
The Steakhorse on the East Side? I've been there once, played on a 4 1/2 x 9 Diamond. Tightest table I've played on since the last time I played Snooker, 25-30 years ago. Banks good, though I agree, I don't think it matters either. As a matter of fact, where I played for 25 years, we were told that a ball in that position often banks into a head pocket.

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ldhxbll58urg18z

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: