Question for CTE USERS ONLY...Puh-Leeze

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...with a dead center stun stroke, I'm finding that a slight touch of low or follow (a la Don Feeney) seems to really help in offsetting throw.
It's commonly known that throw is maximized with a stun hit. Adding any kind of CB rotation, follow, draw or side spin, "subtracts" from the friction between the balls.

Throw is maximized even more by a stunned half-ball hit - a fatter or thinner hit throws less.

pj <- oops, not a CTE user... please ignore the above
chgo

stockbob55

Registered
Re

I haven't noticed a big difference on stun shots. I do try to avoid playing shots that cause the cue ball to "skid" along the cloth with no spin applied. A skidding cue ball will tend to exaggerate any inaccuracies in aim and increase throw.
However elevating the butt of the cue on these stun shots can help.
I think that Stan does mentions this in one of his videos. He uses a dime to illustrate the shots.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I haven't noticed a big difference on stun shots. I do try to avoid playing shots that cause the cue ball to "skid" along the cloth with no spin applied. A skidding cue ball will tend to exaggerate any inaccuracies in aim and increase throw.
It sounds like you're saying a stun shot and a skidding CB are different things...? They aren't. The definition of a stun shot is when the CB is sliding with no follow or draw when it hits the OB.

pj
chgo

stockbob55

Registered
It sounds like you're saying a stun shot and a skidding CB are different things...? They aren't. The definition of a stun shot is when the CB is sliding with no follow or draw when it hits the OB.

pj
chgo

I thought that my reply was in pretty plain English.
I didn't say that at all.
But they can be different.
However to answer your question your definition of a stun shot is correct but there are other shots that use a skidding cue ball.
I was just trying to help the OP by answering his question.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

pj
chgo

... they can be different.
... there are other shots that use a skidding cue ball.
Yes, lots of different shots use a sliding/skidding cue ball - a stun hit.

I was just trying to help the OP by answering his question.
Sure. I assume that's what we're all doing.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here is the grip video where Stan Shuffet discusses the use of a raised
cue butt on stun shots.

The section in question is around 18 minutes in:

https://youtu.be/rGUIlp1q44Q
Interesting. The CB actually hops on many shots that we're totally unaware of, even with a "level" cue - especially hard follow shots.

Just shooting a little harder, like with most stun shots, avoids table surface irregularities without extra elevation or hopping.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's commonly known that throw is maximized with a stun hit. Adding any kind of CB rotation, follow, draw or side spin, "subtracts" from the friction between the balls.

Throw is maximized even more by a stunned half-ball hit - a fatter or thinner hit throws less.

pj <- oops, not a CTE user... please ignore the above
chgo

But I am and I approve this post!

randyg