what kind of case is this...box style

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I have a box case. I just don't know what kind. It's heavy duty...I've seen it in slow motion spinning in the glow of a streetlight 20 foot in the air. Quite a sight...no, it wasn't me who launched it in disgust. Thanks,

Attachments

• IMAG2284.jpg
    IMAG2284.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 516

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Although not conclusive, the look, structure and hardware is consistent with an O'Neil case. See the picture below. O'Neil cases I have came with a removable sticker in the top center. This one doesn't have the sticker, but as I said, mine were removable.

There have been other makers of box style cases, so I can't be 100%, but I would lean towards O'Neil. I'd be interested to know how it was in motion in the air...

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• ONeil Cases.jpg
    ONeil Cases.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 503

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Yes that's it! Thank you much for your help. As for its flight...my buddy was distraught after a losing league night about 25 years ago. Walked outside and launched this case across the parking lot. Man was he surprised to see it hit the ground, pop open, and send his joss and huebler dancing in the moonlight. The cues survived, the case survived,(joint protectors are handy), sadly, he's gone...but not forgotten. Thanks again...I remember him telling me the maker now after hearing you say it. The case holds now a different Joss, and an Ivory pointed rosewood Weston. I sometimes play with them, I just don't throw them around.

Attachments

• IMAG2287.jpg
    IMAG2287.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Yes that's it! Thank you much for your help. As for its flight...my buddy was distraught after a losing league night about 25 years ago. Walked outside and launched this case across the parking lot. Man was he surprised to see it hit the ground, pop open, and send his joss and huebler dancing in the moonlight. The cues survived, the case survived,(joint protectors are handy), sadly, he's gone...but not forgotten. Thanks again...I remember him telling me the maker now after hearing you say it. The case holds now a different Joss, and an Ivory pointed rosewood Weston. I sometimes play with them, I just don't throw them around.

Man, what a story. Glad you ended up with the case. They're not that easy to find these days. Hope it landed on some soft bluegrass, rather than the parking lot.

All the best,
WW

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Here's a McDermott version circa 1980

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 442

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had a mc dermott case like this as well
about 30 years ago

i would think your case is too old to be an oneal

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
i had a mc dermott case like this as well
about 30 years ago

i would think your case is too old to be an oneal

Are you referring to Tim's case, or the OP's case? Tim didn't say his was an O'Neil.

All the best,
WW

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I am often and continually amazed by the collective intellect and brilliance of the membership of AZB.

Will Prout

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I am often and continually amazed by the collective intellect and brilliance of the membership of AZB.

Will Prout

All the best Will, and thank you, if you included me in that thought. On O'Neil cases, I've often been asked if the hardware was right. O'Neil changed a bit over the years and included brackets in the middle of the top and bottom edges, which their earlier models didn't necessarily have. More than once, I've had to show it.

The lower is the O'Neil case, with more recent brackets, in addition to the corner protectors.

All the best,
Hoot

Attachments

• Oneil vs Mcdermott.jpg
    Oneil vs Mcdermott.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 180

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The handles are different too.

If you look at the O'neil versus the McDemott.

There have been several "off brand" cases similar to O'Neil, and we have hashed this out before. Truly the best is to put them side by side to see the difference. Thank you for the pics.

This also is one way to tell the difference between the early Palmer cases and the early Viking cases, as they were both unmarked.

The Palmer Deluxe (first catalog) and the Viking Deluxe (and Viking Tiger Deluxe) were almost identical. But the handles were different.

The Viking Deluxe (and Tiger Deluxe) had the same latches as the later version of the early Palmer Delixe case, and were identical in all the other construction and hardware except the handles. And, as far as I can tell, all these cases were made by Fine Brothers Company in Brooklyn. I have had them side by side.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Will Prout

It's a disease, an obsession. :D

I think you know a thing or two yourself. :wink:

Excuse me while I go compare veneer miter angles....:eek:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The handles are different too.

If you look at the O'neil versus the McDemott.

The handles are different from O'Neil to McDermott, but not within O'Neil. They kept that same suitcase type handle. The rest, you're right, they varied all over the map. A lot of them had that stretch type handle that extended inside some metal clasps, but not O'Neil. One of the early give-aways, though not the only one.

Veneer miter angles? I'm going to obsess about the inside corner of one piece veneers, how a joiner can do it... If there is such a joiner, with a blade at the end of the bed...

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The handles are different from O'Neil to McDermott, but not within O'Neil. They kept that same suitcase type handle. The rest, you're right, they varied all over the map. A lot of them had that stretch type handle that extended inside some metal clasps, but not O'Neil. One of the early give-aways, though not the only one.

Veneer miter angles? I'm going to obsess about the inside corner of one piece veneers, how a joiner can do it... If there is such a joiner, with a blade at the end of the bed...

All the best,
WW

I agree. The O'Neil handles were consistent.

Inside corner?

Now we are talking cut shots....:p