Best nine ball player ever top speed

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I visit a few different forums. Everyone has had their best of done so may time it gets boring to the regulars, so I am sure this has been done very often here. But if you would like to, humor me and tell me what you think.

Who is the best nine ball player ever?

With a nod to Buddy, I would have to say it is Earl. When his game is right, I don't think he could be beat. I understand that playing good in all conditions matters. Earl hasn't always been the greatest grinder. But when you put everyone's best game out there, I just don't think he would be beat.

As my friend told him at the 92 Open, "Narrow the pockets 1/4 of an inch and make every tournament single elimination, race to sixteen, single elimination, and you would never be beat."

When he is at his best, he makes the game look amazingly simple!

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I visit a few different forums. Everyone has had their best of done so may time it gets boring to the regulars, so I am sure this has been done very often here. But if you would like to, humor me and tell me what you think.

With a nod to Buddy, I would have to say it is Earl. When his game is right, I don't think he could be beat. I understand that playing good in all conditions matters. Earl hasn't always been the greatest grinder. But when you put everyone's best game out there, I just don't think he would be beat.

As my friend told him at the 92 Open, "Narrow the pockets 1/4 of an inch and make every tournament single elimination, race to sixteen, single elimination, and you would never be beat."

I agree, Earl Strickland's top speed is sick! 5 U.S. Opens is an amazing feat. I was in the audince at the 2000 U.S Open (Earl's 5th title) and I watched the entire event from start to finish and Earl never lost more than 6 games in any match. He just plowed through the field like it was nothing. You know what it looked like? You ever see a pro player play in a regional event with a weak field of amateurs? that's what it was like, no one ;looked like they had a chance.

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, Earl Strickland's top speed is sick! 5 U.S. Opens is an amazing feat. I was in the audince at the 2000 U.S Open (Earl's 5th title) and I watched the entire event from start to finish and Earl never lost more than 6 games in any match. He just plowed through the field like it was nothing. You know what it looked like? You ever see a pro player play in a regional event with a weak field of amateurs? that's what it was like, no one ;looked like they had a chance.

Exactly! Enough said!

Close the thread!

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

I would say Luther Lassiter, though, I don't remember much of the 40s.

Da Bank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i will also wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Forget about Buddy Hall's temperament, Earl Strickland... at his best... was the supreme intimidator and possessed focus like no one else. At his best, his mental game and attacking nature were completely unrivaled.

Buddy Hall is clearly #2 in my mind, but it is very difficult to not mention Efren Reyes. He should be mentioned as the greatest in just about every game that involves a stick and a ball other than hockey and golf.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

Louie Roberts AKA St. Louis Louie

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Yeah, my money is on Earl too, if it wasn't for his temper. Did you see the race to 120 Hong Kong match against Efren? On day 2 Earl was focused and in a zone. He made Efren his ***** that day. I think there was a string of 30 or so games there where he broke and ran out 16 or 17 times. On day three he was obviously agitated and Efren came back and got him. Final score Efren 120 Earl 117. I don't think either of them really "won" but Earl definitely lost. If he could control that temper of his and put it on the table, no, I don't think anyone can beat him.

So, just because of Earl's lack of focus when he gets mad, I gotta go with Buddy. There are a lot of top players that avoided getting into gambling matches with Buddy in his prime.
MULLY

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
i will also wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Forget about Buddy Hall's temperament, Earl Strickland... at his best... was the supreme intimidator and possessed focus like no one else. At his best, his mental game and attacking nature were completely unrivaled.

Buddy Hall is clearly #2 in my mind, but it is very difficult to not mention Efren Reyes. He should be mentioned as the greatest in just about every game that involves a stick and a ball other than hockey and golf.

For all around pocket billiards Efren is a God.
MULLY

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sigel, sigel, ....sigel. i dont think there is much doubt.

Really?

Not Buddy? Not Varner? Archer? Efren?

I feel like I have seen them all at their best, either live, or on tape and I just wouldn't agree at all.

Seigel was great, but I just don't see him beating Earl or any other in the long run.

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, my money is on Earl too, if it wasn't for his temper. Did you see the race to 120 Hong Kong match against Efren? On day 2 Earl was focused and in a zone. He made Efren his ***** that day. I think there was a string of 30 or so games there where he broke and ran out 16 or 17 times. On day three he was obviously agitated and Efren came back and got him. Final score Efren 120 Earl 117. I don't think either of them really "won" but Earl definitely lost. If he could control that temper of his and put it on the table, no, I don't think anyone can beat him.

So, just because of Earl's lack of focus when he gets mad, I gotta go with Buddy. There are a lot of top players that avoided getting into gambling matches with Buddy in his prime.
MULLY

I didn't see that match. That happened after I got out of the game. I actually am going to order the series from Accu-stats and watch it.

Thanks for the nod to Buddy, as I am a huge Buddy Hall mark. A total class act and a great player!

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
I didn't see that match. That happened after I got out of the game. I actually am going to order the series from Accu-stats and watch it.

Thanks for the nod to Buddy, as I am a huge Buddy Hall mark. A total class act and a great player!

It's worth what you pay for it. If you want to watch damn near perfect 9-ball being executed day 2 is going to put a big smile on your face. Earl owns that day. I think he got a 20 or 30 game lead on Efren. Credit to Efren for coming back to claim victory but, in all fairness, on day 3 Earl is visibly irritated and not focusing. Had he been in day 2 shape he would have easily had a 50-60 game lead at the end.
MULLY

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's worth what you pay for it. If you want to watch damn near perfect 9-ball being executed day 2 is going to put a big smile on your face. Earl owns that day. I think he got a 20 or 30 game lead on Efren. Credit to Efren for coming back to claim victory but, in all fairness, on day 3 Earl is visibly irritated and not focusing. Had he been in day 2 shape he would have easily had a 50-60 game lead at the end.
MULLY

Enough said.

Sort of proves my point, I guess!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tournaments - Earl. He made the nine foot tables look like bar tables.
Gambling - Parica and then Buddy. They just played better than anyone else for the cash. Today it might be Yang. He gets out where there is no out!

poolsucker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to quote efren, there is only been 1 man he ever feared in 9ball, that is earl , just to bad he was a jerk put simply. that is a efren quote too!!!!
Yeah, Earl is a machine on day 2. You'll really enjoy it. I swear you'll see what I mean about day 3 too. He's not there at all.
MULLY