G. Szamboti Purpleheart (2).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,213
  • G. Szamboti Purpleheart (3).jpg
    G. Szamboti Purpleheart (3).jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,156

patrickjuhlin

A+ Banger
Silver Member
Interesting cue for sure. Taking pics of Purple heart is hard with cameras due to color balance and white balance. Purple heart for sure.

How do you identify this as a Gus? Are there any markers on the cue that validate this as a Szamboti? Just curious and I'm not discrediting you just interested because this is a cool Gus cue that is different from any I've seen. I have certainly never seen a Gus cue with re-cut points.

vinniebabarooch

Wanna Sell Your Hercek?
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting cue for sure. Taking pics of Purple heart is hard with cameras due to color balance and white balance. Purple heart for sure.

How do you identify this as a Gus? Are there any markers on the cue that validate this as a Szamboti? Just curious and I'm not discrediting you just interested because this is a cool Gus cue that is different from any I've seen. I have certainly never seen a Gus cue with re-cut points.

I'm thinking it has 4 black veneers.
But I could be wrong.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys-

These cues were posted in the main forum with documentation:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=309356

This cue: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4031582&postcount=5

Here's an example of one of dad's cues:

"Gus Szamboti Cue: SW 19.6 oz. 3 original shafts: 2 are 12 ¾ mm in very good Condition, 1 is 13 mm in very good to excellent condition. This particular cue is very rare for several reasons. The cue is all original, meaning that Gus Szamboti is the only cue maker to do any work on this cue. The shafts, finish, and leather wrap (rare) are all original. To my knowledge, Gus made very, very few cues with purpleheart prongs, making this cue extremely rare, Over the past 15 years, I’ve seen less than 5 cues. Also included is an original shipping box from Gus. The original owner of this cue was a well-known player in the Massachusetts area." - Mark Kulungian

This cue was inspected by Mark Kulungian.

In addition this particular cue has with it the original shipping box from Gus: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4032288&postcount=13

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful responses.

I would like to sell the collection but my inclination is to wait for better times.

And btw, this cue does come with its original shipping box from Gus Szamboti.

I admit the pics don't look like PH and look more like RH, but the poster has some substantial documentation that the cue is indeed a Gus and that it is indeed PH. Kulungian might have been incorrect about the wood, I admit, but it is at least as likely that the pics simply are not showing the wood very well.

Whether or not it is a re-cut or stacked veneers isn't mentioned and would be open to discussion but at the moment it seems that the identity and provenance of this cue have been established.

I have never seen a Gus re-cut so I am suspecting stacked veneers. I am guessing we will find out for certain before too long.

HighEndCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ditto x2
as I love ph but this is not ph

Gus has never made a Redheart cue. This cue is in fact Purpleheart. The pictures just make it look like PH.
Also, Gus has never made a recut pointed cue, those are veneers.
Best,
Ken

Last edited:

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The original owner told me that he got this cue from Gus in the early 80's.
It was his main player.
Around the same time he had bought an ebony on ebony Gus which in his opinion "hit terrible!" which he threw in his closet only to sell it later for slightly more than he bought it :embarrassed2:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gus used fronts from other builders when he started.

He decided he could do better. And did. The joint and pin on the Szams and way the Cue is constructed is a give away. You just have to be around that stuff alot to be able to recoginse it. He was a very good. You can't fake that level of talent.
Nick :)

patrickjuhlin

A+ Banger
Silver Member
I was hoping they were re-cut points simply because I love those kind of points and a Gus like that would be out of this world. Thanks for sharing a unique cue.

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He decided he could do better. And did. The joint and pin on the Szams and way the Cue is constructed is a give away. You just have to be around that stuff alot to be able to recoginse it. He was a very good. You can't fake that level of talent.
Nick :)

Lol. You make us laugh. Stick to identifying old Scruggs plain janes.

To the o.p., that's one hell of a cue you've got there. Super rare and very unique. I'm sure someone out there is trying to pull together quite a sum of money to make you a pretty hefty offer.

Congrats! Helluva cue!

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Not that I want to beat a dead horse, I didn't want to come across as all knowing, but the cue is PH, there were 3 or 4 veneers, IIRC, and the cue is all original. But since we sold it to his father, I figure I would set the record straight.

I believe Marsman has a similar cue in his Szam photo.

JV

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not that I want to beat a dead horse, I didn't want to come across as all knowing, but the cue is PH, there were 3 or 4 veneers, IIRC, and the cue is all original. But since we sold it to his father, I figure I would set the record straight.

I believe Marsman has a similar cue in his Szam photo.

JV

Very nice. Thanks.

I would bet on 4 veneers...just looks too thick for 3 but what do I know?

That the cue is original can explain why the color seems off as well. That and the photos could combine to make the wood look very different.

I think it's a spectacular cue and am just happy to get a peek at it.