Modifying a Revo uni-loc quick release...

giddyup

I"ve read on this site that a uni-loc quick release can be modified to work on both Radial and 3/8 x10 pins (standard and modified). I'm looking for someone to do this job. The person I had in mind, is too busy. Any takers? Thanks.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I"ve read on this site that a uni-loc quick release can be modified to work on both Radial and 3/8 x10 pins (standard and modified). I'm looking for someone to do this job. The person I had in mind, is too busy. Any takers? Thanks.

That's a big fat no. Cross threading is never a good idea.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Minor ( hole ) of the radial screw is .3125.
Minor ( hole ) of the flat bottom 3/8 10 is around .308 or less.
It can be done but the 3/8 10 will have some play.
And cross threading is the risk you take .

Radial threads have to be tapped then 3/8 10 would be better live-threaded .

The Revo will need a new insert to plug up the hole the 7/16 20 uniloc qr insert leaves after milling out.

It can be done with the understanding that you have to know how not to cross thread the threads.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a big fat no. Cross threading is never a good idea.

Cross threading?

Yeah, never a good idea.

Not a cue maker here, but as a user/collector I have run into this a couple times or more. NEVER good idea. Destined to fail, and simply put, a poor notion anyway.

A number of cue makers come from engineering and/or machining. I think they would say the same thing.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Double tapping was discovered by pure accident. It's hard to believe how many cue mechanics think it's ok and acceptable. Since the arrival of c/f shafts, it has become more popular to do. You may never have a problem. But it only takes one time when you forget to seat the thread and cross it.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Minor ( hole ) of the radial screw is .3125.
Minor ( hole ) of the flat bottom 3/8 10 is around .308 or less.
It can be done but the 3/8 10 will have some play.
And cross threading is the risk you take .

Radial threads have to be tapped then 3/8 10 would be better live-threaded .

The Revo will need a new insert to plug up the hole the 7/16 20 uniloc qr insert leaves after milling out.

It can be done with the understanding that you have to know how not to cross thread the threads.

Radial pins are NOT 10 tpi. You will have two completely different thread pitches. This will not work well.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Radial pins are NOT 10 tpi. You will have two completely different thread pitches. This will not work well.

He originally wanted BOTH threads on it.
Then changed his mind.
Don't worry, he already sent it to me and it was already done.